Movies - What do you eat?

Options
What do 6ou eat when you go to the movies? Do you bring your own snacks or do you just try to not over do it on the theater food?
I go to the movies maybe like once or twice a year. Tonight my sister and I want to see Pitch Perfect 2 and I could certainly use a kid free evening.
So what are your suggestions?

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    if i only went twice a year i probebly wouldnt worry too much over what i had

i usually share a small popcorn with my boyfriend... well i grab a handful or two of his popcorn

its only an hour and a half out my life, i dont need to eat so i bring a drink and just have that if im out with anyone else
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I also only go once or twice a year, and for me it's a special thing. I enjoy my favorite caramel-covered movie theater popcorn and maybe a slushie, my two favorite things to have at the theater... Then carry on as usual the next day. :)
  • Ytsur82
    Ytsur82 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I go to the movies I can't not have popcorn so I get the kid's pack and factor it into my calories. The kid's pack usually comes with a small popcorn (significantly smaller than the regular small) and I get no butter, a small soda of your choice (and I get diet), and a little package of gummy candy that I'll save for later. Sometimes other people look at me when I'm by myself holding one of those kid's packages but whatever. Those "small" popcorn sizes are way too much.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I just don't eat. I drink water or diet soda.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I go at least once or twice a week. I actually do love the movie popcorn and get the diet drinks. However, at ~450 calories for a small bag, I know I have to get some exercising in to stay under my calories. other than that, I may sneak a low calorie protein bar or some nuts and raisins in.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Nothing. It's a short amount of time, and usually not that long since I've eaten. I'm not really a snacker, though.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner before I go
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Popcorn with extra butter and a pack of M&Ms inside, a hot dog and pretzels with cheese.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Honestly, nothing. I try to make it a rule not to watch anything while I eat now, or I end up not appreciating the food as much, so there's no point really. I'd rather have a good snack before or after and really enjoy my food.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I bring my own water and a smallish serving of m&m's. Then I get a small/medium popcorn and eat all of it.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Popcorn and a diet pop. I don't go that often and when I do, I want popcorn and so I have it. I have been on MFP for over 3 years now, maintenance for 19 months, and see no point in going to the movies unless it includes popcorn. Otherwise, I can wait 4 months until the DVD is released.
  • richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat anything when I go to the movies. I avoid any kind of drinks (water, soda) because I don't want to have to suddenly go to the bathroom in the middle of the movie.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I personally eat popcorn and a diet soda. Even though the tub is nearly 500 calories I don't go to the movies enough for it to make a difference. It's not about the food it's about the ritual. I mean I could not eat, it's only a couple of hours, but it's not as socially gratifying without that big tub of popcorn.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I don't eat at the movie. I eat before or after the movie. But I do sometimes treat myself to a small popcorn and unsweetened iced tea. Movie popcorn has a lot of calories so best to plan ahead for that.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    if im at the movie theater nothing

if im at the drive in then i make my own air popped popcorn and bring that
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    None, but that's because we get ice cream after :)
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    We go to the movies quite a lot and I typically don't get any food just a drink. If we go to the Drive-in then I will get mozzarella sticks and corn dogs but, we usually only make it to there once a year.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I've stopped eating at the movies. Besides the calories, the prices are highway robbery! Plus, i am really bothered by all of the wrappers and loud chewing and don't want to contribute to that.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Nothing - If I am actually hungry, I go to a restaurant; not the movies. Just never got into that...
  • amycuz14
    amycuz14 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think it depends how often you go and what kind of "deal" it is to you. If you go a lot, then it's a regular part of your routine and you have to factor it in and be really sensible, since movie popcorn is so high (both cost and calories). However, if you go once or twice a year then it's more of a big event and, in my head, different (I know, not for everyone!).

We go as a family maybe two or three times a year (we are super hero freaks LOL! We limit it to those movies and the odd pixar film.). I LOVE movie popcorn, so I figure twice a year, I'm going to savour every bite. I try to balance it out by getting a few extra kms in on my run that day, or upping my workout in some other way, but really, I don't stress it. It's a rare occasion for us :)