Movies - What do you eat?

Options

Replies

• swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fan of buying snacks at the movies, it's way too expensive. I'm usually happy to go without anything these days but if I did want to take a snack, I'd bring popcorn from home (the one I buy is a salty/sweet combo and about 50 calories per 10 grams). Then I'd probably sneak in a can of diet coke too.
  • RobertDupuy
    RobertDupuy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sometimes nothing, sometimes popcorn, no butter. Popcorn is not offensive to my diet. Don't know why but I always thought it was fine
  • plo4u
    plo4u Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am a big snacker so I bring my own. I let myself have a soda there but I bring grapes, granola bars, or 100 calorie packs. But I put it all in MFP before I go and I only bring what I'm going to eat so I don't go nuts.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I bring a bottle of water. To me movies and eating are just not connected
  • rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I take my own for myself and my kids. Usually I pack popcorn, some sweets for the kids and either juice boxes, water or some home made iced tea or cordial. I don't usually eat but if I am hungry I will nearly always pack a sandwich or a roll. Sometimes I have been known to buy sushi rolls but they can be messy and you don't realise until the end of the movie when the light comes on and your top has soy down the front lol
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    With Regal offering $2 popcorn to members on Tuesdays, I just figure out how to fit it in (even if I don't have a drink). It's just part of the movie going experience for me. At least it guarantees a work out on Tuesday.
  • Ready2BFitMom
    Ready2BFitMom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the opinion guys. I ended up getting the kiddie combo and it was more than enough. I felt satisfied without feeling sick to my stomach and it fit in my calories. My sister poked fun at me for it until she was halfway through her medium bag and whining cause her stomach hurt, heheh.
  • goldiejdb
    goldiejdb Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    What do 6ou eat when you go to the movies? Do you bring your own snacks or do you just try to not over do it on the theater food?
    I go to the movies maybe like once or twice a year. Tonight my sister and I want to see Pitch Perfect 2 and I could certainly use a kid free evening.
    So what are your suggestions?

I pop my own.If I want butter a spray of I can't believe it's not butter will suffice & put it in a ziploc bag :smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    nothing.

Every once in a blue moon I'll order popcorn- and a soda- but that's less than once a year. I think in the last 4.5 years my BF and I have been going out and going to go see movies- I've done it 2 maybe 3 times. it's just WAY to expensive.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I don't eat at the movies, I have dinner before I go.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Why does one "need" to eat at a movie? Other than the fact that we were all taught that you eat snacks and popcorn at the movie theater thanks to Sesame Street and the like, why is there this pervasive need to be snacking? Is a movie so physically strenuous that you need to fuel it like a workout?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Why does one "need" to eat at a movie? Other than the fact that we were all taught that you eat snacks and popcorn at the movie theater thanks to Sesame Street and the like, why is there this pervasive need to be snacking? Is a movie so physically strenuous that you need to fuel it like a workout?

Because everyone is different???
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    ^This. Eating at the movies is mindless munching for me. If I've eating before going, I'm not tempted by the popcorn smell and snacks. I just bring a bottle of water in my bag and enjoy the show.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I go to the movies like maybe 3x per year, if that...I might order a popcorn and don't really worry about it...it's like 3 days per year. But really, usually it's dinner and a movie so we've already eaten...
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I get a decaf cappuccino and just drink that instead of eating. It kind of serves the same purpose, as I have something in my hand that I'm putting up to my mouth.
  • Elle_Bronwyn15
    Elle_Bronwyn15 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    These are the options I try to stick with:

1) Go to a movie after eating a healthy dinner
    2) Bring healthy snacks (sneak them in, of course!)
    3) Kid a kid's pack with mini popcorn, mini soda, and fruit snack if I feel like "splurging"

I never buy huge buckets of popcorn or soda....a waste of calories and too greasy/sugary for me!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I just don't eat. I drink water or diet soda.

This. It's not about the calories. There's no way I'm spending a week's worth of pay to eat at the movies.
  • arizonahiker
    arizonahiker Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    One of my main goals/accomplishments was to stop drinking calories, meaning no more soda etc. When I go to the movies, which maybe 4 or 5 times a year I get a giant cherry Coke, Its kind of like a cheat day.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I just don't eat. I drink water or diet soda.

This. It's not about the calories. There's no way I'm spending a week's worth of pay to eat at the movies.

I guess it's different everywhere. Here a large tub of popcorn is like 7 dollars. Hardly a week's worth of pay.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    The last time I went to a movie theater, I got nothing to eat or drink. I thought it would be difficult since I really like popcorn and I would smell it and see it but it wasn't hard at all. I just focused on watching the movie. After the movie, we went and had a regular dinner.