Cant Lose WEIGHT!!! GRRRRRRRRR

Options
1235»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Holy moly!

- you are most likely retaining fluid in your muscle (glycogen and water) as you just started exercising - it's normal
    - other things cause water retention that can mask 'real' weight loss (sodium, our cycle, macro mix) so you need to look at things over a longer trend
    - weigh all food on a digital scale unless liquid - then measure or pre portioned.
    - eat 50 - 75% of your exercise calories back (to account for estimation errors)
    - you have not gained any appreciable muscle
    - eat mainly nutrient dense foods but you can have some treats (try not to have too much fast food as the calorie content can be off by quite a lot)
    - try to exceed your protein and fat goals (carbs are the variable)

I came in here to say this. Food prep is quick, and they aren't measuring out all of the ingredients to make things match up the nutritional info. It would be very easy to underestimate the number of calories in each item, especially since they are so calorie dense. The quickest way for me to stall out on my weight loss is to eat out a lot, I've done it and seen what happens. Occasionally is fine, but when it's often the miscalculations can really add up.

I think that's a bunch of bunk. I probably eat more fast food than anyone else on MFP and my weight loss has been right on target for almost 5 months now. Feel free to look through my diary since January.

Right on target from what? From what is predicted with online calculators and other estimators as to what your TDEE is?

I've lost approximately the weight that would be expected given my calorie expenditure and intake over the past several months. Calorie expenditure has been measured primarily by using a Fitbit, with some calories added on lifting days. The Fitbit calculation comes from an estimation of BMR combined with its own estimation of calories burned through movement.

Before I had the Fitbit, I lost about 45 lbs back in 2004. I ate fast food 7+ times a week back then too. I estimated TDEE by using a calculator to determine BMR and added in daily exercise calories, as estimated by online calculators. Everything's always been right about where I'd expect it to be based on the numbers.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Holy moly!

- you are most likely retaining fluid in your muscle (glycogen and water) as you just started exercising - it's normal
    - other things cause water retention that can mask 'real' weight loss (sodium, our cycle, macro mix) so you need to look at things over a longer trend
    - weigh all food on a digital scale unless liquid - then measure or pre portioned.
    - eat 50 - 75% of your exercise calories back (to account for estimation errors)
    - eat mainly nutrient dense foods but you can have some treats (try not to have too much fast food as the calorie content can be off by quite a lot)

I came in here to say this. Food prep is quick, and they aren't measuring out all of the ingredients to make things match up the nutritional info. It would be very easy to underestimate the number of calories in each item, especially since they are so calorie dense. The quickest way for me to stall out on my weight loss is to eat out a lot, I've done it and seen what happens. Occasionally is fine, but when it's often the miscalculations can really add up.

I think that's a bunch of bunk. I probably eat more fast food than anyone else on MFP and my weight loss has been right on target for almost 5 months now. Feel free to look through my diary since January.

You're both potentially correct, depending on the type of fast food. I suspect a place like McDonald's is fairly consistent in their calorie amounts as their food is preportioned...whereas a place like Chipotle (or at least *my* Chipotle) most definitely is not. I'd guess some days the calories are 200%+ of others.

Can you still lose weight eating lots of fast food? Sure...but if your fast food of choice is more generous with their portions, it could be a source of the problem if the numbers aren't working.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Holy moly!

You're both potentially correct, depending on the type of fast food. I suspect a place like McDonald's is fairly consistent in their calorie amounts as their food is preportioned...whereas a place like Chipotle (or at least *my* Chipotle) most definitely is not. I'd guess some days the calories are 200%+ of others.

Can you still lose weight eating lots of fast food? Sure...but if your fast food of choice is more generous with their portions, it could be a source of the problem if the numbers aren't working.

I'm sure it's not the whole problem, but could easily be a contributing factor. Looking through the diary, there are some major logging inconsistencies. Between not logging consistently, possibly underestimating calorie intake, and potentially overestimating burns, it could all easily eat away at any deficit.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Holy moly!

Right on target from what? From what is predicted with online calculators and other estimators as to what your TDEE is?

I've lost approximately the weight that would be expected given my calorie expenditure and intake over the past several months. Calorie expenditure has been measured primarily by using a Fitbit, with some calories added on lifting days. The Fitbit calculation comes from an estimation of BMR combined with its own estimation of calories burned through movement.

Before I had the Fitbit, I lost about 45 lbs back in 2004. I ate fast food 7+ times a week back then too. I estimated TDEE by using a calculator to determine BMR and added in daily exercise calories, as estimated by online calculators. Everything's always been right about where I'd expect it to be based on the numbers.

You missed my point.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Holy moly!

You missed my point.

Hm. I didn't realize you were trying to make a point. I thought it was just a question.

What did you mean?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Holy moly!

You missed my point.

Hm. I didn't realize you were trying to make a point. I thought it was just a question.

What did you mean?

Online calculators and fitbits are estimates - it is not your actual TDEE and so is not 'proof' of anything. What it does show is that you consistently ate fast food and were consistent with your weight loss.

As jof noted above, the accuracy of the fast food places varies great deal. I am not saying not to eat fast food - but it can cause even more room for error and can easily eat away at someone's deficit. The day that was screenshot by another user had mainly fast food in it. I don't think yours does.

You may believe that it is not that much of an issue, but I cannot see how you can say it is a bunch of bunk based on a sample of n=1 that is based on estimated energy expenditure, especially as your fast food meals do not represent the majority of your intake.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Online calculators and fitbits are estimates - it is not your actual TDEE and so is not 'proof' of anything. What it does show is that you consistently ate fast food and were consistent with your weight loss.

As jof noted above, the accuracy of the fast food places varies great deal. I am not saying not to eat fast food - but it can cause even more room for error and can easily eat away at someone's deficit. The day that was screenshot by another user had mainly fast food in it. I don't think yours does.

You may believe that it is not that much of an issue, but I cannot see how you can say it is a bunch of bunk based on a sample of n=1 that is based on estimated energy expenditure, especially as your fast food meals do not represent the majority of your intake.

Ah I see. It's not just me, it's several other people as well. I've helped a number of people lose weight, and fast food intake has never been a problem even when it's fairly substantial.

I agree that it's a potential source for error, but it's my opinion based on my experience with myself and several other people that it's not going to be significant.

In my opinion, fast food intake would be one of the last things I'd look at if someone wasn't losing and it looked like they should be. Consistency, measuring, calorie burn estimates, etc., would all come first. And before I blamed fast food, I'd probably simply assume their BMR was lower than we calculated and lower the calorie goal a bit more.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Ah I see. It's not just me, it's several other people as well. I've helped a number of people lose weight, and fast food intake has never been a problem even when it's fairly substantial.

I agree that it's a potential source for error, but it's my opinion based on my experience with myself and several other people that it's not going to be significant.

I think our experiences may differ with this.
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I recently saw a quote,

“It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends to notice, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice. Give it 12 weeks. Don’t QUIT!”

I actually have a picture of this on my bulletin board at work as a reminder. This is only day four for me and if you were to look at my diary you can see that I do not reach my caloric intake - and work out quite a bit. I have not had much luck in the past with weight loss even though i worked out 4-5 days a week.. but I was horrible at watching my diet. Now I am holding myself accountable for my diet as well....

Give it a few more weeks - It'll happen for you - stay positive!! You can do this!
  • jonnythan
    Options

What has your experience been?
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and it looks to me like you are not logging your food every day. It seems like whole meals are missing and one day only about five hundred calories were logged. If my assumption is correct, then I would say that accurately logging every day would be the best place to start.

This ^ was my thought as well after taking a quick look at her diary.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

What has your experience been?

I am a little confused as to the question as I already stated my thoughts on the matter. If you want to know specifics, PM me so as not to derail the thread.
  • MariG25
    MariG25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just hang in there, you will see results soon =)
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    y would I not log truthfully? that makes no sense. and eat more? I get pretty close to my total every day...

sawyer-1.jpg~original

Just using this day on your diary for an example, you arnt eating close to your targets.

An not logging truthfully, i did that to start off with.. then i got myself together an log truthfully now..

Heres mine from today.

mine.jpg~original

Interesting. So her 324 off from her goal of 2127 (15.2%) isn't close to her targets, but your 197 off from 1441 (13.7%) presumably is.

Is the threshold for "not close" 14%?

I just dont know what to do with the last 197, and im full lol

Need to minus 40 from that as iv just had an options hot chocolate... dont worry, im all over the updating :tongue:

:noway: :grumble:

Nope, really dont know what to do with the 157 thats left. Im not even a little bit hungry (which im gonna say is a good thing)

Personally, I'd be a little ticked if someone took a page out of my diary, posted it in an open forum....then accused me of not logging truthfully.....and she isn't that far off from her goal calories.

1) her diary is open, so its something you could go an get yourself if you wanted.

2) didnt accuse, i asked and i also explained my reason why..
  • shardidecker
    Options
    You are probably building muscle which weighs more than fat :)
    No it doesn't

"Muscle does not weigh more than fat, any more than lead weighs more than feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat. In addition, because a pound of muscle burns more fat than a pound of fat, even at rest, by increasing your lean muscle tissue mass, you're helping your body burn more calories.

But back to your question. If you only have a small amount of weight to lose, then you may feel like the weight training is not helping you move down on the scale. In fact, the number may even go up, but you will look thinner. This is due to an increase in lean body mass (muscle, bone, blood volume) and a decrease in body fat. In other words, even if the scale doesn't change much, you will probably see a difference in how your clothes fit. "

On the other hand, if you have a lot of weight to lose, you will also experience an increase in lean body mass and loss of body fat. But the results on the scale will probably be more dramatic."

Ask the Personal Trainer: Does Muscle Weigh More Than Fat?

We resolve the controversy once and for all.

Article By: William R. Sukala, MS, CS
    http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=8311&sc=128