300lbs to lose, just beginning with a couple questions.

Options
13»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,884 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    z_vette wrote: »
    I feel like I'm off to a good start. In 2 days, I've already managed to lose a few pounds! This is very motivational for me! I know I shouldn't be weighing myself daily, but it's difficult not to! I do plan on only logging weekly weigh ins, however.

While doctors can be an annoying expense they are also one of the few ways you can find out things such as your thyroid levels or your cholesterol or whether you have become type 2 or not. To your advantage is your age and your decision to make a change.

Regardless.

I strongly suggest you use one of the free weight trend tracking programs and log your results in it every day/time you weigh yourself.

Weightgrapher.com allows manual and csv entries.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/how-to-weigh-yourself-accurately/ near the bottom third of the page there is a link to "accurateweightcharting.xls"

The sexypants post is something you should read.

Having said that, you need to balance rapid changes that yield tangible results and positive reinforcement, against your long term compliance with your new relationship with food, and eventually with the relationship you will be developing with moving around and exercising when you start to feel lighter.

And again I caution you to be careful when you decide to try and increase your activity level because at your current weight your joints are very vulnerable.

In the meanwhile outside of a supervised setting where you are making trade offs to achieve rapid weight loss results, consistently eating @ below 1500 Cal will eventually cause problems.

Since 2500 Cal is the approximate maintenance level for someone half your size.... it sounds to me like a good minimum to start at. And so are the 3000Cal MFP suggested, which are already designed to yield a deficit that should result in the loss of 2lbs a week.

All I'm saying is that you have a long way to go and getting there three months sooner is less important that just getting there!!!

As to the rest of it, good logging, experimentation, and reviewing your results will help you make better decisions.

This is not a set and forget exercise.. reviewing and re evaluating is good!

Keto works well for people whose body doesn't handle carbs well; I have my personal doubts as to how sustainable it is over a lifetime.

Eating frequently, meal timings, good breakfasts, more smoothies (why would a smoothie be better than just eating the ingredients? are we trying to reduce our fiber and food bulk intake here?), no food after 8pm; I am sure that they all have some effect, and pretty sure that the effect is much less important than the effect of consistently eating ~7000 Cal less every week, regardless of how you achieve that!

Personally I find it easier to achieve by eating food that fills me up as much as possible, as well as the occasional treat if it can fit it in my goals and totals.

A positive nitrogen balance is also good in helping you maintain as much of the muscle mass you already have as it proves possible (You WILL lose some. As you get smaller you SHOULD lose some as you won't be needing it. But keeping the most of it you can is a good goal to have!). Eating at least the amount of protein your 250lb self would, that would be a good minimum... so I am revising up from the 150 to 200g I originally mentioned, and suggesting 200 to 250g of protein, assuming no kidney issues.

As always, each and everyone of us posts based on their own realities and observations. Make the effort to research the choices you decide to make... and keep on going at it!
  • z_vette
    z_vette Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

It's my fifth day into this journey, just thought I'd post a little update here. I've managed to not touch the scale the past couple days. I'm really looking forward to Saturday (my 1 week mark) to see my progress.

I've managed to eat around 1400 calories the past 2 days in a row. I know I should probably start eating a little more than that at least. I'm starting to feel better, not as tired. At least not until the afternoon. Yesterday morning I really felt great. I am starting to get a little hungrier between meals, but it's nothing I can't handle...yet!

The past 3 nights in a row, I've woke up to pee 5-6 times during the night. This is very unusual for me, as before I'd only need to wake up once, maybe twice during the night to pee. My water intake hasn't changed much (though I know I should be drinking more water - I'm working on it). I assume this is normal.

I'd like to say thanks for all the advice and encouragement everyone has given me! Thanks to those who have added me as a friend, and are cheering me on! It means a lot to me :).

Feel free to add me as a friend if you haven't!
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    How's your workout routine or activity level in general going? I would suggest adding in some healthy snacks for calories, greek yogurt and fruit maybe? quest bars? things like that. I'm not even an expert but I don't think you can find anyone to tell you that 1400 is good.

I know some disagreed but there are a lot of pros to 5-6 smaller meals instead of 1-2 large meals. On top of the claims of raising your metabolism (even people on this board can't agree of course whether it does or not), I'm a lot more sluggish after a large meal than a small one regardless of the content. I ate a HUGE salad the other day and just wanted a nap, as opposed to after a small meal I still feel like going for a jog or bike ride. And I think if you factor in about 400 calories per meal and eat more frequently, even if you have to set an alarm, you'll be full and meet your calorie goal more easily. Try dividing large meals into 2 servings and eating one later... Food for thought.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    There is a group of MFP called "100+ lbs to lose and no surgery" that you might find helpful and supportive. They are great people and many of them have had similar goals to you (and made great progress!)

This isn't a race, so you could try eating the calories you are given and see if you are losing on track. If you are not, shave 250-500 calories a week off until you are hitting the loss you want to see. Where you are starting 2lbs a week loss is perfectly fine and more than that a week isn't a big concern as long as you are not starving yourself on 1400 calories or something silly. (So don't do that!) If you are eating lots of fruits and veggies, lean meats, whole grains and healthy fats you may find it difficult to consume that many calories so don't worry about it if you don't make it all the time but try to get a reasonable amount of food in. If you are runing short swap out some food for higher calorie healthy options like almonds, avacado, cheese... etc.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the start of your weight loss program. I hear that you feel that 3000 calories is too many and you prefer to eat 2 meals. I don't see any problem with that as long as you are under the 3000 calories and you haven't had bypass. Try it out for several weeks. This process and living life in a thin body involves making changes that you want to live with forever.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Greetings! I just began my weight loss journey yesterday, with a goal of losing 300lbs. My weight on the scale yesterday morning before breakfast was 501 (which was very depressing, as I hadn't weighed myself in several years). I've done much research over the past week or so, and stocked up on some fruits and veggies that I like, or can at least choke down.

My first concern, is MFP says I should be eating 3090 calories a day. This seems insane to me for a weight loss goal, even at my weight. It has really surprised me just how much food I can eat when I'm eating healthy foods. I only managed to eat 687 calories yesterday, and was not hungry for more. Today so far I've managed 766, and that's including some salad dressing and some butter on my whole grain bread (I know I know, very bad). The only meal I haven't had today is dinner, and I only plan on a couple small pieces of cod.

My second concern...is I've been very tired since mid day yesterday. Today I actually had to take a nap, and I've still been sleepy all day. I realize it could be due to the lack of calories I'm consuming...but I'm honestly not hungry and I feel like I've ate a lot today.

Did anyone else have any similar issues when they began? Thanks in advance!

You can do this! For your weight 3090 calories is definitely reasonable & eating 687/766 if you're truly measuring correctly with a food scale for every little morsel you ate is way too little! You need to properly fuel your body & under eating even though you have a larger amount to lose is not healthy & unsustainable.

You need to get out of the mindset that you have to eat so little to lose weight & continue to eat your favorite foods in moderation & finding a way to eat that is sustainable for life. A lot of people who do fad diets or eat so little will not only give up but binge when they eat something they deemed a bad food/restriction. The only time you should give up a food item is if you're allergic or you can't stand to eat it.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm not sure if you've seen this or not, but this is a fantastic success story from one of MFP's mods: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1103164

His blog is also really inspiring: www.gettingfit4life.com
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

It's my fifth day into this journey, just thought I'd post a little update here. I've managed to not touch the scale the past couple days. I'm really looking forward to Saturday (my 1 week mark) to see my progress.

I've managed to eat around 1400 calories the past 2 days in a row. I know I should probably start eating a little more than that at least. I'm starting to feel better, not as tired. At least not until the afternoon. Yesterday morning I really felt great. I am starting to get a little hungrier between meals, but it's nothing I can't handle...yet!

The past 3 nights in a row, I've woke up to pee 5-6 times during the night. This is very unusual for me, as before I'd only need to wake up once, maybe twice during the night to pee. My water intake hasn't changed much (though I know I should be drinking more water - I'm working on it). I assume this is normal.

I'd like to say thanks for all the advice and encouragement everyone has given me! Thanks to those who have added me as a friend, and are cheering me on! It means a lot to me :).

Feel free to add me as a friend if you haven't!

This is not necessarily normal and why you need to see a doctor. Frequent urination is a symptom of several things, including diabetes. Please see a doctor and get a complete check-up.