Post low-carb diet trauma

Options
I decreased my daily calorie total to 1300 and carb percentage to %30 and lost 10 lbs but felt very weak at the end of 2 weeks. I increased them again for the following 2 weeks and I'm still feeling very weak. My TDEE is 2200 and I've been between 1500-1700 calories/day. I'm 5' 7" and 161 lbs, looking to lose another 10 lbs.

Has anyone else felt very weak after a low-carb diet and how long did it last? Is it normal to still feel very weak after starting to eat carbs?

I have no rush to lose weight, I just want to feel normal again. My muscles just refuse to move. There are no other factors causing this weakness that I know of. This low-carb diet killed me :(

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'7. I doubt it's the low carb (30% isn't that low!) - I'd feel like a bag of hurt on 1300 no matter what I ate. Eat more. Of whatever.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Are you low carbing for a medical reason?

If not, ask yourself this question; "What's the point of continuing a diet in which I will feel like crap?"
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like it's the low carb, like the previous poster mentioned 30% isn't that low. I eat around 10% and have plenty of energy. If you are now eating more carbs and still don't feel well it's likely something else. Have you tried eating more calories? Have you seen your doctor to rule out any medical conditions?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Are you sure you're hitting sufficient micro nutrients ...vit C, B, folate?

Doesn't sound like a carb issue to me...sounds closer to anemia
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Also I lost and maintained at around 50-60% carb so if you don't like it...come off it
  • tomatoey
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Are you sure you're hitting sufficient micro nutrients ...vit C, B, folate?

Doesn't sound like a carb issue to me...sounds closer to anemia

Very well could be. Vit D insuffiency, too.

I think you really have to plan nutrition if you're going to eat a measly 1300 (which again, alone, would leave me feeling ill. Or murderous)
  • Silverstar721
    Silverstar721 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There are good carbs and bad carbs. Good carbs (less/no sugar) give you a lot of natural energy because they are filled with good fiber. See your doctor if this continues.
  • Sued0nim
    edited June 2015
    Options
    There are good carbs and bad carbs. Good carbs (less/no sugar) give you a lot of natural energy because they are filled with good fiber. See your doctor if this continues.

Nope to labelling food good and bad

Yep to seeing doctor if it continues
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Some people get keto flu really badly. I didn't experience anything but a little brain fog, but I was sure I was drinking tons of water and making sure to get enough potassium, magnesium and sodium. They have keto calculators and you usually get a slightly higher calorie limit than what MFP gives you.

Sorry low-carb didn't work for you! Hope you find something that DOES! :smiley:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Some people get keto flu really badly. I didn't experience anything but a little brain fog, but I was sure I was drinking tons of water and making sure to get enough potassium, magnesium and sodium. They have keto calculators and you usually get a slightly higher calorie limit than what MFP gives you.

Sorry low-carb didn't work for you! Hope you find something that DOES! :smiley:

Except that the OP wasn't low carb and wouldn't have got to that state...

OP, if you lost 10lbs in 2 weeks and you've only got a relatively small amount to lose, you likely just ate too few calories. Eat more and lose weight more slowly.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

What makes a carb good or bad?
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Parenting
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Parenting

giphy.gif
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

They are referring to satiation and nutrition. But if we're nitpicking, and you just want to pretend you didn't understand, then that's fine too.
  • Gulen28
    Gulen28 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the comments and advice. Here are my replies:

-IsaackGMOON, no, there wasn't any medical reason for my low carb diet.

-auntstephie321, no I haven't seen a doctor for this unusual weakness, but I will if it continues.

-rabbitjb, ogmomma2012 and tomatoey, no, I haven't been watching my vitamins and micronutrients very closely, but I've been taking multivitamins and calcium daily, as well as drinking plenty of water and taking electrolytes with water too.

-Silverstar721, after 2 weeks of low carb, I ate "good carbs" for the next 2 weeks and I still feel terrible. I eat quinoa, sweet potato, brown rice and lots of vegetables and fruits.

-livingleanlivingclean and auntstephie321, yes, I have been eating more calories for the past 2 weeks and that's why I posted in the 1st place. It went like this:
    2 weeks of low carb low calorie
    Started feeling weak at the end of those 2 weeks, so:
    Ate more calories and carbs for the following 2 weeks
    Still feeling abnormally weak at the end of those more calorie weeks

My question is: Does it take longer than 2 weeks to feel normal again after increasing calories?

I didn't do this consciously. I didn't want to lose 10 lbs in 2 weeks. I was just a beginner and ignorant. Now I'm very frustrated that this weakness will not go away. I thought I would be back to normal in a week after eating more again.

I was wondering if anyone experienced something like this and how long did it take to feel normal again..
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Gulen28 wrote: »

There's really no point on low carbing then. But anyways, I can't dictate what you do. All I recommend is slowly introducing carbs back into your diet so you hopefully feel better, as @rabbitjb said, make sure you're hitting your micronutrients.
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited June 2015
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

There's really no point on low carbing then. But anyways, I can't dictate what you do. All I recommend is slowly introducing carbs back into your diet so you hopefully feel better, as @rabbitjb said, make sure you're hitting your micronutrients.

There is no point in low carbing if there isn't a medical reason? Why the heck not? Why would it not be a choice for someone to use in order to eat at a deficit if it worked for them?

I'm just voicing my opinion. As I said, I can't dictate what the OP does. Does it sound like its working particularly well for OP at the moment?
  • tomatoey
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

There is no point in low carbing if there isn't a medical reason? Why the heck not? Why would it not be a choice for someone to use in order to eat at a deficit if it worked for them?

I'm just voicing my opinion. As I said, I can't dictate what the OP does. Does it sound like its working particularly well for OP at the moment?

Very unlikely the 30% carb factor would be the reason for tiredness, more likely it's the low calorie factor.

OP try eating at maintenance for a while until you feel better.

Are you exercising?