Post low-carb diet trauma

Options

Replies

• ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's perfectly normal in the first 2-3 weeks of starting a low carb diet to feel fatigued. Dr. Atkins specifically mentions it in his book in the context of the Induction phase of the Atkins diet - but also says that if you push through it you get rewarded with greater energy levels, vigor, and weight loss down the line. I certainly found that to be the case myself.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    There are good carbs and bad carbs. Good carbs (less/no sugar) give you a lot of natural energy because they are filled with good fiber. See your doctor if this continues.

What makes a carb good or bad?

Parenting

I pee'd a l'il.

• Gulen28
    Gulen28 Posts: 52 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    tomatoey, I am exercising but with great difficulty. I can not exercise as much and even when I do I feel terrible during and after it. My muscles constantly scream. I used to feel so strong :(

I think I'm supposed to eat at least 2000 calories/day, probably more, just for maintenance. I've been trying but I find it very hard now. I think my stomach shrunk or something. Time to eat avocados I guess...
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    It might be an idea to talk to your doctor.
  • Gulen28
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    It's perfectly normal in the first 2-3 weeks of starting a low carb diet to feel fatigued. Dr. Atkins specifically mentions it in his book in the context of the Induction phase of the Atkins diet - but also says that if you push through it you get rewarded with greater energy levels, vigor, and weight loss down the line. I certainly found that to be the case myself.

Thank you for your input. At least I know now it's normal to feel fatigued. What I'm feeling though is a little more than fatigue. My body is in an emergency mode, I feel abnormal. As many people suggested I think I cut my calories too much to feel this bad. I went being super strong and energetic to not being able to hold my arm up.

Also, feeling strong and being able to exercise as much as I want to is more important to me than weight loss at this moment. Actually, just to feel normal again is more important than weight loss. I gained 2 lbs last week eating more (didn't help me feel stronger) but I don't care.
  • Gulen28
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    It might be an idea to talk to your doctor.

Thank you. I'll keep eating more calories for another week and if it still doesn't get better I'll go see my doctor.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're hitting sufficient micro nutrients ...vit C, B, folate?

Doesn't sound like a carb issue to me...sounds closer to anemia

Gulen - since you only went down to 30% carbs for two weeks, and increased them the next two weeks, it doesn't sound like the reduced carbs was the factor. When my anemia is untreated I feel like this - are you losing more hair than normal?
  • Gulen28
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Are you sure you're hitting sufficient micro nutrients ...vit C, B, folate?

Doesn't sound like a carb issue to me...sounds closer to anemia

Gulen - since you only went down to 30% carbs for two weeks, and increased them the next two weeks, it doesn't sound like the reduced carbs was the factor. When my anemia is untreated I feel like this - are you losing more hair than normal?

No I'm not losing more hair than usual, but I think you're right. I'll see my doctor right away...
  • ImitatetheSun
    ImitatetheSun Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Very well could be. Vit D insuffiency, too.
    This! fatigue is a major symptom of Vitamin D deficiency (which we all have to some degree). I couldn't believe how much energy I got back when I started taking a D3 supplement with Calcium (to boost absorption). If you like your diet for other reasons (I'm 100 pounds overweight and I feel just fine on 1,100 to 1,300 calories most days) then try a viramin D supplement.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP I don't know anything about low carb, or the symptoms you are having, I just wanted to chime in that if you only have 10 lbs to lose and you believe your TDEE is 2200, then you really should have your cals set about 2000, or even higher. I wouldn't do more than a 10%reduction from your TDEE.

How you reach that deficit is up to you, low carb is one technique but not necessary for weight loss.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    What you were doing probably does not count as low carb. I don't see any dietary explanation for your systems.

You could try returning to your previous eating pattern for a couple of weeks to see if that makes a difference...but your best best is likely to check in with your doctor.
  • Gulen28
    Options
    Very well could be. Vit D insuffiency, too.
    This! fatigue is a major symptom of Vitamin D deficiency (which we all have to some degree). I couldn't believe how much energy I got back when I started taking a D3 supplement with Calcium (to boost absorption). If you like your diet for other reasons (I'm 100 pounds overweight and I feel just fine on 1,100 to 1,300 calories most days) then try a viramin D supplement.

Will take vitamin D supplement, thank you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I recommend you get your D and iron levels tested and go from there.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Gulen28 wrote: »
    DrEnalg wrote: »

Thank you for your input. At least I know now it's normal to feel fatigued. What I'm feeling though is a little more than fatigue. My body is in an emergency mode, I feel abnormal. As many people suggested I think I cut my calories too much to feel this bad. I went being super strong and energetic to not being able to hold my arm up.

Also, feeling strong and being able to exercise as much as I want to is more important to me than weight loss at this moment. Actually, just to feel normal again is more important than weight loss. I gained 2 lbs last week eating more (didn't help me feel stronger) but I don't care.

You need to see your Dr ASAP. I don't know what's going on with your body (I'm not a medical professional per se and I'm also a stranger on the internet), but the symptoms you describe are not trivial.

It is a strange variety of symptoms

A trip to a Dr and a blood test would answer so many questions with facts.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    There are good carbs and bad carbs. Good carbs (less/no sugar) give you a lot of natural energy because they are filled with good fiber. See your doctor if this continues.

nope…

dead wrong
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Gulen28 wrote: »
    Thank you for all the comments and advice. Here are my replies:

-IsaackGMOON, no, there wasn't any medical reason for my low carb diet.

There's really no point on low carbing then. But anyways, I can't dictate what you do. All I recommend is slowly introducing carbs back into your diet so you hopefully feel better, as @rabbitjb said, make sure you're hitting your micronutrients.

There is no point in low carbing if there isn't a medical reason? Why the heck not? Why would it not be a choice for someone to use in order to eat at a deficit if it worked for them?

because it is totally unnecessary and carbs are freaking delicious...
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    30% carbs is not low carb. You aren't feeling the way you do because of your carb intake..
  • RedVonMunster
    RedVonMunster Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Are you low carbing for a medical reason?

If not, ask yourself this question; "What's the point of continuing a diet in which I will feel like crap?"

I really wish you could like posts on the forums, I'd be doing it for this one.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all the more complicated responses, but running a 500-700 calorie deficit, with only a 10 lb weight loss target, might still be too large a deficit and contributing to your energy issues. You were running a 900 cal deficit, may have run out of steam, so to speak, and even by increasing your calories, your deficit might still be too large. Increasing calories to a more modest deficit might also solve some of the suggested deficiency issues others have put forth.