did los angeles make you feel ugly???

Options

Replies

• That_car_is_full_of_balloons
    Options
    Which part of LA did you go to?
    i stayed in the miracle mile area
    and spent most of my time between west hollywood and santa monica
    i saw hot people wearing sports bras or no shirts at all jogging alongside heavy traffic
    usually i honk at joggers and give them the thumbs up but i wanted to yell at these people to go to a trail or park! show offs :cry:
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    When I first was considering moving to LA,I thought I needed to get fit, just to fit in. But that did not happen and it was not necessary. People here are just like everywhere else in the US. Even at the beach the fat/unfit folks come out in droves.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is true. Standards are a little higher there. I think it is a combination of being the home of the film industry, and, more importantly, being a sunny place where you can be active and outside year round -- no sitting on your butt inside three, four, or five months out of the year while it snows or rains.
    Then, being that the standards are higher, the guy who would be a 'seven' works out a bit harder and becomes a 'nine.' Women wear a bit more make-up and then, with practice, become a bit more sophisticated at it. They wear shorter skirts more often, and that means they cannot let that extra 5 pounds creep up on them. The "fives" become "eights."
    And, when you put it all together, yes, it becomes a bit intimidating for us mere mortals.
    I have lived in many cities, in a few different states, and have traveled extensively, and I can tell you it is true. Anyone who says it isn't hasn't been anywhere else or isn't looking.
    Moreover, it is not just limited to Malibu and Newport!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Tanning is a great route to premature aging, so probably not the best choice, considering your gial.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    And, actually, as someone who is fairly familiar with plastic surgery, I can tell you that there are many more cosmetic physicians in So Cal than any place else, except perhaps MIami or San Diego, with New York City a distant third or fourth.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Anyway, I like my freckles, curly red hair and hourglass figure. I don't want to look like a plaster mold of what some arbitrary group calls perfection.
  • lyttmab
    lyttmab Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Which part of LA did you go to?
    i stayed in the miracle mile area
    and spent most of my time between west hollywood and santa monica
    i saw hot people wearing sports bras or no shirts at all jogging alongside heavy traffic
    usually i honk at joggers and give them the thumbs up but i wanted to yell at these people to go to a trail or park! show offs :cry:

I am a 4th generation LA native. And I can honestly tell you, absolutely it is NOT like that. Could you have been looking for that? Yes, if you look for it, it's easy to find. BUT you go a mile or two and see streets of homelessness; few blocks over, tons of hispanic mamas and their babies in the front yard; a few blocks over, Korean language written on all the buildings; a few blocks over, a black man and white woman pushing a stroller with their new baby in it; the point is, you see it ALL here. One reason I LOVE it here!

Yes, we have the rep that everyone is beautiful (which just look at my pics and that rep goes right out the window) and we go to Disneyland/Knotts/Universal every month (can't afford it!), and we see movie stars everywhere we go - wrong LAX is the only place I have ever seen anyone.

I honestly think we get a bad rap and we are FAR TOO over-populated. I honestly wish some folks would go back home, while I'm sitting on the freeway. I hate to see you so down on yourself just because when you came here you saw some tanned, good looking folks out jogging. I honestly think you were looking for that. Yes, there are a lot of beautiful people here, but thats true wherever you go. Look in the mirror and accept who you are. You are doing good things for yourself here. Please don't blame LA. Just know that there are truly all kinds here and we are NOT hard to find . . . I hope you will come again. Let me know and I will take you sight seeing - I can show you that there are ALL kinds here. If anything, we are known to bring out the scariest looking people! LOL!

Take care and good luck!
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    Don't read beauty magazines they will only make you feel ugly... and wear sunscreen.

:heart:
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    We just moved to LA from Mississippi 2 mos ago so yeah... I understand... Why do you think Im here?? ;)

ETA: Really, though, not everyone is like that. Ive seen more diversity in this area (I actually live in Santa Clarita Valley, its about 30 mins north of Hollywood) than I ever have. People of all types. Love it here! But yeah when I go to Hollywood, Bevery Hills area, I feel like a toad. LOL
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Being from California there are ALLOT of very attractive people from all nationalities. As a whole there are allot more hotties than anywhere else in the US. Texas may be a close second. I also lived in NY however none compare to Cali. This is why people are compared to a California 10. For example a Oklahoma 10 is a California 6.

I never felt out of place or intimidated by anyone by their good looks. While their looks were a 10, their self confidence was a 2. The ****tier you treated the 10's the more they liked you (granted that was in the 90's).

however I miss all the Mamacitas!!!!!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    LA is full of fake plasticy looking people....i wouldn't compare myself to them since i have natural beauty....not plastic parts stuck up all in my grill or other parts of my body. so, no LA does not make me feel ugly.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    We just moved to LA from Mississippi 2 mos ago so yeah... I understand... Why do you think Im here?? ;)

ETA: Really, though, not everyone is like that. Ive seen more diversity in this area (I actually live in Santa Clarita Valley, its about 30 mins north of Hollywood) than I ever have. People of all types. Love it here! But yeah when I go to Hollywood, Bevery Hills area, I feel like a toad. LOL

Diversity!! LOL I hate that word when used in Cali. It is more like a salad bowl lots of different ingredients, however none of them really mix together. This is why there is Korea town, China town, etc. On a whole it is not a melting pot at all.
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    No.
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    No. We are a veritable cornucopia of people here of varying degrees of fitness. They don't make me feel any more or less attractive. I am just a wee bit envious when I see people running for miles, but I am working on getting there.

Attractiveness is all in the eye of the beholder and I must say one thing we do have is an abundance of really beautiful (to my hetero eye) Latin women. If I were a guy or a woman who digs women I would be in heaven.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I was just in LA a couple months ago for the first time stayed out in Beverly Hills and was down near the convention center / LA Live during the day... quite honestly, I saw a bunch of normal people. I'm sure there are those 10's out there, but the vast majority of folks were just plain ole normal folks like myself. It also could be that I just didn't notice also.... who knows.

On a side note... I was expecting LA to be all like what I see on TV. It was more like a Tarantino movie to me. I think he portrays the city in a much more real light.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Hell, any Korean lady who asked my boyfriend to get something down from the shelf made me cringe (we lived in Koreatown - not being racist).

Um. Soooo, what are you sayin'? Are you calling Koreans short or something??? I think I'm feeling a little butthurt now...and short. :wink:

You know, the funniest part? My bf at the time was 5'3"! :huh:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I love LA. It's a crazy busy place and there is culture splattered everywhere.

I didn't feel ugly there. People were very friendly, although I felt like Mary Poppins flying in with my umbrella, from San Francisco, in prim Victorian style. I didn't have any skimpy clothes.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I live in West LA, what seems like the home of every aspiring model in the state. It's a little crazy sometimes, but I love it here =)

Stop comparing yourself to everyone around you, and your life will be better. Promise.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Oy mashugana
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I just walk around with a bag of dog poop and then smear it on anyone who is more attractive than me.