did los angeles make you feel ugly???

Options

Replies

• pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    The city I live in now is like that. It's one of the wealthier suburbs of Dallas and I feel like I'm too fat, too pale and not blonde enough pretty much every day. Sucks.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I just walk around with a bag of dog poop and then smear it on anyone who is more attractive than me.

During this thread, i thought i was offended, then I was adamant, then I was disagreeing, then I was for sure gonna say something profound but then I found you. And your silly comment made it all better.

I love LA. BTW not all the latino's are overweight. Neither are all the Latina's beautiful. Sometimes you find them both rolled into one overstuffed beauty. Sometimes you find a latina ugly b!tch who used to be my friend but is no longer since I realized beauty is only skin deep but ugly goes to the bone.

cue overused stereotypical "I love LA" song here. Yay ocean, yay mountains, yay movies stars, yay dodgers, yay good eats, yay various kinds of people. Boo traffic, boo too many languages being divisive, boo people judging each other on looks in a split second too much, boo smog. Overall though LA 10/10 would bang. And revisit if I were you. With a different itinerary and an eye for the architecture and arts more than the people watching or celeb searching.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I completely hate that stereotype about L.A. being fake and full of gorgeous people. I have lived here my entire life and unless you are in the touristy areas, the rest is a melting pot. L.A. is more than just a small segment of Beverly Hills. I live in Orange County and I don't really see all these Barbie Dolls either, but perhaps that's more prevalent in the beach areas of Newport and Laguna. Bottom line, if you're in a VERY touristy area of a big city, you will probably encounter a lot of attractive people. Trust me, I see many unattractive people here! :)

its not really a steroetype because it is sorta true. But ur right...depending on the area. You go to santa ana, what do you see? A lot of overweight hispanics. You go to Newport....what do you see? Barbie and Kens almost everywhere. Demographics. So he was probably in one of those "areas" where it was full of gorgeous folk.

That's almost the definition of a stereotype.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Which part of LA did you go to?
    i stayed in the miracle mile area
    and spent most of my time between west hollywood and santa monica
    i saw hot people wearing sports bras or no shirts at all jogging alongside heavy traffic
    usually i honk at joggers and give them the thumbs up but i wanted to yell at these people to go to a trail or park! show offs :cry:

Skinny women with tans and plastic surgery running in sports bras! Sounds like heaven to me.
  • meandmyface
    meandmyface Posts: 328
    Options
    Now i'm freaking out haha, i'm visiting the states for a holiday later this year and LA is on the list, I hope I don't feel like too much of an ugly duckling misfit!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd experience feeling horrible about myself when I visited last fall. I figured with everyone looking slim and fit it would bother me. However the only thing that bothered me was getting jealous of the beautiful hills that I'd love to have access to daily for walking or the beach for relaxing. They're human too just like me and I can't compare myself to them or someone that lives in my neighborhood. We all live different live and we're all made different. I find I have a hard enough battle with myself why add in being worried about looking like "the chick running" Or "the chick in the magazine cover". I may not look "hot" like her body but damn I'll still rock my sweaty workout clothes and glow at the miles I put on my running shoes!
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Lived there over half my life and so no, just didn't feel trendy enough sometimes.

My cousin lives in the oc in a very rich area where everyone is plastic and in great shape, feel fat around them usually lol
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    usually i honk at joggers and give them the thumbs up

Yeaaah, don't do that.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I grew up in LA county. Trust me, everyone is too busy worrying about themselves to judge you. Just enjoy the sun and have a good time. I'm sorry you felt this way, but you got this. :)
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Most times when I am in LA I am too busy wondering if the bum passed out on the sidewalk is dead or dead drunk to notice if people are attractive.....
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I live in San Diego, LA's tomboy sister city.

LA always picks on me for that and makes me feel inferior. Not "ugly," per se, but just "less." It shouldn't bother me as much as it does, but LA just has this way about her that makes me feel frumpy and short. I started to see a therapist about it, but LA got to him too.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    What part of LA were you in? Up near Burbank and Hollywood and all that?

Come down to Long Beach. We're all homely, homey.
  • lafilleavectoi
    lafilleavectoi Posts: 125 Member
    Options

On a side note... I was expecting LA to be all like what I see on TV. It was more like a Tarantino movie to me. I think he portrays the city in a much more real light.

When I first saw Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown, I was pretty amazed at how well he depicted the city. But Tarantino truly is an L.A. native, and not just someone who came here to make movies.
  • lyttmab
    lyttmab Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    People from LA know that there is no such thing as LA. Lol. Do you mean Westwood, West Hollywood, Compton, Canoga Park, Santa Monica, Reseda, or Long Beach? It's huge and spread out all over the place. So, there is no LA look. I would say the majority of LA is the opposite of what you think. It's run down, gangs, lots of poverty, etc. All the Hollywood BS is mostly fake. There's only a few at he top and you know who they are, the rest are wanna-bes and hopefuls.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry. LA actually has a huge obesity problem. Just ask my co-workers.

So true!!! Love this!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    have you seen what i look like?

LOL. JK.

no, I don't think about stuff like that.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I completely hate that stereotype about L.A. being fake and full of gorgeous people. I have lived here my entire life and unless you are in the touristy areas, the rest is a melting pot. L.A. is more than just a small segment of Beverly Hills. I live in Orange County and I don't really see all these Barbie Dolls either, but perhaps that's more prevalent in the beach areas of Newport and Laguna. Bottom line, if you're in a VERY touristy area of a big city, you will probably encounter a lot of attractive people. Trust me, I see many unattractive people here! :)

its not really a steroetype because it is sorta true. But ur right...depending on the area. You go to santa ana, what do you see? A lot of overweight hispanics. You go to Newport....what do you see? Barbie and Kens almost everywhere. Demographics. So he was probably in one of those "areas" where it was full of gorgeous folk.

http://www.voiceofoc.org/oc_central/article_2dc9a476-cae5-11e1-8f53-001a4bcf887a.html

In case anyone got "offended" ...I wasn't just talkin outta my *kitten*.

P.s. my kids are half hispanic so that makes me half hispanic (by injection) :wink:

P.p.s Next time come see the beaches....great stuff mang. Gotta love the water :flowerforyou:
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Don't compare yourself to others
  • DekkaTwoOneWizzy
    Options
    Your sooooooo outrageous....