keto low carb refeed question

Options
AlexEtheridge1996
AlexEtheridge1996 Posts: 65 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Are high carb refeeds stricly necessary, or are other methods more productive towards fat loss?

Sure the refeed of glycogen will help you perform higher intensity exercises for the week, but wouldn't this limit fat loss because body will have to get back into ketosis.

Theres no doubt people will be able to perform high intensity training better, but wont it take a few days to get back into ketosis and during this time the body will use the stored glycogen as energy, therefore this increased performance ability is just being used to deplete the glycogen.

So, has anyone exeprienced "refeeding" on low carb, but higher calories than usual?

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Ketosis is a by-product of not having enough carbs in the body. The weightloss that is occurring is from reduced calories (period). Keto style diets are just protocols of eating to get you into that calorie deficit as you negate certain food groups, eat more fat (which is highly satiating)...so you will typically be in a deficit without realizing it for a while, thus losing weight. The refeed, like you mentioned, would only replenish already low glycogen stores, give you a boost in gym performance for a bit, and offer you a small psychological break to eat something you might have been craving. One day; however, would not make a difference in my opinion in regards to aided fat loss. Lyle McDonald has some great content about Leptin and refeed durations to get fatloss moving again, etc.... if you want to research more.
  • AlexEtheridge1996
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, and i have researched about leptin and benefits of high carb refeeds already :)

I currently track my low carb eating, and was purely interested in ways to make refeeds more effective(done 1 refeed with high carbs and it took me quite a few days to get back into ketosis). If a huge carb up was done, glycogen stores would become full. However wouldnt this then reduce the benefits of the low carb keto diet until stores are once again depleted. Thus why i was wondering whether a low carb refeed has been done that exceeds maintence but ensures one stays in ketosis for the benefit of fast loss and using fat primarily as a source of fuel. Because if high carb isnt necessary, one could be much more productive always staying in ketosis, rather than waiting to get back into it after a hugh carb refeed.
  • AlexEtheridge1996
    Options
    I have personally experienced greater fat loss(not referring to weight loss) during ketosis on a low carb diet, than on a high carb diet with a larger deficit. Hence why im wondering whether it would be optimal to stay in ketosis, and refeed low carbs (increase calories and fat, rather than calories and carbs)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Talk us through what you expect the "refeed" (= overeating spell) to achieve ? and how ? I agree about adding fat / protein not carbs.
  • AlexEtheridge1996
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Talk us through what you expect the "refeed" (= overeating spell) to achieve ? and how ? I agree about adding fat / protein not carbs.

The "refeed" would be more of a refeed of calories, rather than carbs. We all know that maintaing a deficit for a long time is not great for the metabolism and hormones etc
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have personally experienced greater fat loss(not referring to weight loss) during ketosis on a low carb diet, than on a high carb diet with a larger deficit. Hence why im wondering whether it would be optimal to stay in ketosis, and refeed low carbs (increase calories and fat, rather than calories and carbs)

If you're just looking at the scale, that will most definitely water weight coming off. Low carb diets do that.

Going low carb doesn't make you lose any more weight than eating a balanced diet whilst counting calories...
  • AlexEtheridge1996
    Options

If you're just looking at the scale, that will most definitely water weight coming off. Low carb diets do that.

Going low carb doesn't make you lose any more weight than eating a balanced diet whilst counting calories...

I have body fat scales, i think i know what has worked better. It depends what you call a balanced diet, but eating 'clean' yet having high carbs was not as successful as doing keto, for body fat specifically.

• AlexEtheridge1996
    Options

i did specify i was not referring to weight loss. Have you tried low carb/ketogenic diet?

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    There is a keto group on mfp may have more info
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

i did specify i was not referring to weight loss. Have you tried low carb/ketogenic diet?

Yes, I have tried a ketogenic diet in the past. I didn't particularly like it because it restricted foods that I liked to eat.

If you're eating at the same caloric deficit on a balanced diet and a low carb diet, there isn't any reason for any extra fat loss on the low carb. Correct?
  • AlexEtheridge1996
    Options

I have body fat scales, i think i know what has worked better. It depends what you call a balanced diet, but eating 'clean' yet having high carbs was not as successful as doing keto, for body fat specifically.

Yes, I have tried a ketogenic diet in the past. I didn't particularly like it because it restricted foods that I liked to eat.

If you're eating at the same caloric deficit on a balanced diet and a low carb diet, there isn't any reason for any extra fat loss on the low carb. Correct?

it depends how long you did it for, how low you had carbs and whether you actually became fat adapted.

Balanced diet is very vague, but i, and many others have experienced greater fat loss on a low carb (under 30g) ketogenic diet.

i would personally say incorrect. You cant argue with a body basically running on fat as a constant energy source (fully adapted). If someone consumes say 200g of carbs a day, one would first use the carbs consumed as energy, and then look for others sources (glycogen, fat, muscle etc)

• IsaackGMOON
    Options

it depends how long you did it for, how low you had carbs and whether you actually became fat adapted.

Balanced diet is very vague, but i, and many others have experienced greater fat loss on a low carb (under 30g) ketogenic diet.

i would personally say incorrect. You cant argue with a body basically running on fat as a constant energy source (fully adapted). If someone consumes say 200g of carbs a day, one would first use the carbs consumed as energy, and then look for others sources (glycogen, fat, muscle etc)

So with the keto diet, does your body use your fat intake (because you ramp it up), or does it use bodyfat? I've never truly understood that concept.
  • AlexEtheridge1996
    Options

So with the keto diet, does your body use your fat intake (because you ramp it up), or does it use bodyfat? I've never truly understood that concept.

the body becomes fat adapted; it starts to burn fat as a fuel at rest and during exercise. Where as one on a high carb diet would mainly burn glycogen, and rarely tap into fat storage

• IsaackGMOON
    Options

the body becomes fat adapted; it starts to burn fat as a fuel at rest and during exercise. Where as one on a high carb diet would mainly burn glycogen, and rarely tap into fat storage

And how does a caloric deficit play into that then, if carbs are burned instead of fat?
  • AlexEtheridge1996
    Options

And how does a caloric deficit play into that then, if carbs are burned instead of fat?
    if one is in a deficit, they will (or should) lose weight as they're not eating enough to maintain their weight. However i think the difference is on a ketogenic diet is that because there are no carbs/glycogen, and the body adaps to burning fat efficiency (not glycogen), therefore the deficit on a keto diet goes solely towards burning fat.

a lot of people stall on high carb low fat diets. What do they then do? Lower and lower their intake..

• IsaackGMOON
    Options

if one is in a deficit, they will (or should) lose weight as they're not eating enough to maintain their weight. However i think the difference is on a ketogenic diet is that because there are no carbs/glycogen, and the body adaps to burning fat efficiency (not glycogen), therefore the deficit on a keto diet goes solely towards burning fat.

a lot of people stall on high carb low fat diets. What do they then do? Lower and lower their intake..

But you're meant to consume <60g carbs on a ketogenic diet, right? So if I didn't bother counting calories on a ketogenic diet and I ate abundantly, I would lose weight because the body is fat adapted?
  • AlexEtheridge1996
    Options

But you're meant to consume <60g carbs on a ketogenic diet, right? So if I didn't bother counting calories on a ketogenic diet and I ate abundantly, I would lose weight because the body is fat adapted?

No, you still need a deficit. Thats where the fat/muscle or weight loss occurs.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Then wouldn't that mean with a ketogenic diet and a caloric deficit wouldn't yield any larger fat loss than a non ketogenic diet and a caloric deficit?

You know it all boils down to calories, not low carbing or high carbing.
  • AlexEtheridge1996
    Options

Then wouldn't that mean with a ketogenic diet and a caloric deficit wouldn't yield any larger fat loss than a non ketogenic diet and a caloric deficit?

I just explained how one who is fat adapted will burn more fat in a deficit than someone who has a high card diet. Once the body uses energy from food, it looks for other sources. Fat adapted individuals use fat, where as other would not. Also weight loss is not always fat loss
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

I just explained how one who is fat adapted will burn more fat in a deficit than someone who has a high card diet. Once the body uses energy from food, it looks for other sources. Fat adapted individuals use fat, where as other would not. Also weight loss is not always fat loss

Any studies to back that up? I'm intrigued.