Organic...

Options
warnock83
warnock83 Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2015 in Food and Nutrition
In the area that I live there is a huge community of clean eating/organic eating. Do you think that eating organic is important?

Replies

• Elle_Bronwyn15
    Elle_Bronwyn15 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I do only because I have an issue with pesticides...it gives me an upset stomach. But believe it or not a few weeks ago I bought some organic produce and got EXTREMELY sick from it, so I don't know that that was about...bacteria maybe?
  • TrailBlazinMN
    TrailBlazinMN Posts: 209 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I think eating organic is extremely important. I buy it whenever I can because I'm not a huge fan of having herbicides and pesticides on my food. When they apply that stuff, there is a reason why they are wearing suits...it's because it's toxic.

There are people that say that you don't get that much nutrition benefit from it but that's very primitive thinking. There is so much more to food than just macros, calories, vitamins, and/or minerals. Every biological process and chemical reaction our bodies have to food and the possible toxins it carries are way too complex for anyone to fully comprehend. With that said, I do my best to fuel my body with the best available food. It's just a no brainer for me.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Fact: You still have pesticides with organic food.

https://ocf.berkeley.edu/~lhom/organictext.html

Fact: There is very little investigation by the government for compliance when it comes to the rules for using the USDA Organic label...and enforcement from the government for violations is minimal.

Report Finds Lax USDA Organic Oversight

I refuse to pay a ridiculous amount of money for food that bears the USDA Organic Certified Seal when we have no idea if it really is 100% organic or not.

That said, it is a good thing to buy locally produced produce in season and support your local farmers, organic or not.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    warnock83 wrote: »
    Do you think that eating organic is important?

No, it is way down the list and largely a waste of money.

You can eat a healthy, balanced diet without eating any organic produce whatsoever.

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    It's not at the top of my priority list.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    warnock83 wrote: »
    In the area that I live there is a huge community of clean eating/organic eating. Do you think that eating organic is important?

Nope :)

I do however make it a priority to buy locally produced food whenever possible. During the growing season in my area I get all my produce from local farms. I love supporting local businesses and also the food is much fresher.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I do think organic is important, espeically for produce. As much, or more, from an environmental perspective as from a diet perspective.

I think antibotic and steroid free is more important than organic when it comes to meat.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    It's insignificant nutritionally and costs a LOT more. And when you see the MASSIVE farms either are grown on, does it REALLY matter that much?

In America it mostly comes from the same water lacking, smog filled valley in California anyway.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I try to ingest less pesticides and drugs.

That is one way.

It would be nice if organic growers were held to high standards.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    It's insignificant nutritionally and costs a LOT more. And when you see the MASSIVE farms either are grown on, does it REALLY matter that much?

In America it mostly comes from the same water lacking, smog filled valley in California anyway.

Mine mostly comes from my gardens.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

cool...so what's your brand in my grocery store?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Sorry, not for sale.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    It is not important for me. I do try to buy non hormone/steroid/antibiotic milk for my son though.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Not even on my radar
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    flg4q2mzrhhg.jpg
    I used to work on an organic farm. They were held to very high standards and NEVER used pesticides. You know how we got rid of these guys? Hand picked them off the plants and squished them!
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I buy organic for certain foods like spinach because it's hard to wash thoroughly without wilting/bruising it... anything with a thick skin or a peel, I don't bother.
  • jodibelle
    jodibelle Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think organic fruits and veggies look and taste better. That's usually the only kinds of food I worry about getting organic for when possible. Alot of times if I can catch things on sale its not usually a huge price difference between the regular and organic.
  • wizzybeth
    Options

Sorry, not for sale.

So you do realize this thread is about buying organic food, right?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Sorry, not for sale.

So you do realize this thread is about buying organic food, right?

The OP says "eating organic".
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    flg4q2mzrhhg.jpg
    I used to work on an organic farm. They were held to very high standards and NEVER used pesticides. You know how we got rid of these guys? Hand picked them off the plants and squished them!

I doubt that the big industrial farms touting the organic labels like Olivias and the like are going to be hand picking bugs off.

Buying from smaller local farms is always better but not always possible year round. The organic label you see in the supermarket may or may not be truly organic, since there is not much policing going on, and you can bet your bottom dollar that if pesticides are allowed (which they are, they just cannot be synthetic, they must be derived from natural sources) they will be for many of the items you see in the store.