Organic...

Options

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    OP's question was "Do you think eating organic is important?" I would say mostly yes because I wish to ingest as little pesticides and chemicals as possible, FDA rated safe or otherwise. That being said, it is a personal choice and no one should try to impose their opinions on others.

I subscribe to the theory that you should eat as well as you can afford and, for me, that usually includes organic produce. It doesn't make me feel that I'm better than others because I do, it makes me feel better about what I'm putting into my body. Not everyone can afford the higher prices of organic foods, including me. There are times I just refuse to pay $8.50 lb for asparagus or $5.00+ lb for grapes. In that case I will choose less expensive items. When on sale, sometimes the organic items are actually cheaper, so it's good to pay attention.

I didn't read this entire thread so not sure if others have mentioned the Dirty Dozen/Clean Fifteen list. Here's a list of the pesticide loads in food and which have more or less.

http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary.php

don't organic farming practices use greater quantities of pesticides...?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    OP's question was "Do you think eating organic is important?" I would say mostly yes because I wish to ingest as little pesticides and chemicals as possible, FDA rated safe or otherwise. That being said, it is a personal choice and no one should try to impose their opinions on others.

I subscribe to the theory that you should eat as well as you can afford and, for me, that usually includes organic produce. It doesn't make me feel that I'm better than others because I do, it makes me feel better about what I'm putting into my body. Not everyone can afford the higher prices of organic foods, including me. There are times I just refuse to pay $8.50 lb for asparagus or $5.00+ lb for grapes. In that case I will choose less expensive items. When on sale, sometimes the organic items are actually cheaper, so it's good to pay attention.

I didn't read this entire thread so not sure if others have mentioned the Dirty Dozen/Clean Fifteen list. Here's a list of the pesticide loads in food and which have more or less.

I've never heard that. Do you mean quantities as in volume of individual pesticides, or as in number of different pesticides?
  • rushbabe0214
    rushbabe0214 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I strongly feel that the organic fair trade non GMO buy local movement is fueled by ignorance, bulls*&t propoganda and first world problems. It's a social construct meant to tell other people that you think you're better than them.

lol +1

lol +2
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I strongly feel that the organic fair trade non GMO buy local movement is fueled by ignorance, bulls*&t propoganda and first world problems. It's a social construct meant to tell other people that you think you're better than them.

*swoon*
  • senecarr
    Options

This sounds a bit paranoid. Do you really think anyone chooses or suggests organic eating to belittle you?

Nice implied ad hominem framing (not to mention, possibly ableism).
    Look up Veblen Goods, organic is a great example of it.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options

I've never heard that. Do you mean quantities as in volume of individual pesticides, or as in number of different pesticides?

volume, not number
  • sunnydays851
    sunnydays851 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It's not at the top of my list. It's very low actually. I don't expect or even strive for perfection. I just want to live healthy and I can do this without worrying about what's organic and not organic. I don't have hundreds of dollars to waste, either. That plays a big part.
  • senecarr
    Options

volume, not number
    More specifically, organic has a tendency to use more pesticides per pound of production if you weight the pesticide based on the LD50 or reference dose.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Most of my veggies I KNOW FOR SURE are pesticide free. They come from my garden. And I freeze as many as I can for Winter. They taste better. When they are out, I don't buy organic. I could never afford it.
  • senecarr
    Options
    Carol_ wrote: »
    Most of my veggies I KNOW FOR SURE are pesticide free. They come from my garden. And I freeze as many as I can for Winter. They taste better. When they are out, I don't buy organic. I could never afford it.

Technically not true. Your veggies make their own pesticides.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

This sounds a bit paranoid. Do you really think anyone chooses or suggests organic eating to belittle you?

Nice implied ad hominem framing (not to mention, possibly ableism).
    Look up Veblen Goods, organic is a great example of it.

Nice use to the dictionary.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

volume, not number

Then that seems probable to me. Many organic pesticides break down quickly and so must be reapplied more often, making the volume used higher. But the Dirty Dozen/Clean Fifteen is not about volume of pesticides used, it's about residue remaining on the food presented for consumption.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Then that seems probable to me. Many organic pesticides break down quickly and so must be reapplied more often, making the volume used higher. But the Dirty Dozen/Clean Fifteen is not about volume of pesticides used, it's about residue remaining on the food presented for consumption.

and that recent peer reviewed paper I linked earlier shows how low the exposure is to pesticide residues even in the "dirty dozen".

Anyone eating corn or peanuts eats a natural substance that is probably orders of magnitude more significant than pesticides: aflatoxin B1.
  • senecarr
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

and that recent peer reviewed paper I linked earlier shows how low the exposure is to pesticides resides even in the "dirty dozen".

Anyone eating corn or peanuts eats a natural substance that is probably orders of magnitude more significant than pesticides: aflatoxin B1.

Yeah, but good luck reducing decent, peer reviewed research from high impact journals into simple soundbites.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options

volume, not number

this...seems like something where I'm going to need one or more citations...

my bad if you've already linked them in here
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

and that recent peer reviewed paper I linked earlier shows how low the exposure is to pesticides resides even in the "dirty dozen".

So? We don't get to pick and choose what substances are found naturally in food. We can, to some extent, choose what man added to our food.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Yeah, but good luck reducing decent, peer reviewed research from high impact journals into simple soundbites.

For her project a rotation student in our lab measured aflatoxin B1 levels in a variety of peanut butter available in our area. Range was organic to natural to commercial.

There was no real trend, and ALL were below the allowable 20 ppb, but the "worst" was a fully organic PB and the organics were higher on average (but below statistical significance).

• Need2Exerc1se
    edited June 2015
    Options

volume, not number

The link to the EWG site (organization that publishes the Dirty Dozen / Clean Fifteen list) is in this thread, so you can see it if you hit 'show previous quotes'. The site has info on how they compile the list.
  • senecarr
    Options

So? We don't get to pick and choose what substances are found naturally in food. We can, to some extent, choose what man added to our food.

The difference is, you're worried about a paper cut while a bear is charging you. You'll see health effects from B1 in your food faster than you will most almost any synthetic pesticide, so the synthetic pesticide makes no sense to worry about, you already have a lower threshold to avoid reaching if you're avoiding things for your health.
  • senecarr
    Options

volume, not number

The link to the EWG site (organization that publishes the Dirty Dozen / Clean Fifteen list) is in this thread, so you can see it if you hit 'show previous quotes'. The site has info on how they compile the list.

There's also a link in this thread that shows there is no real, rational, scientific basis for how they compile the list.
    In other words
    53126836.jpg