Eating very little in the day to enjoy a nice dinner

Options
124»

Replies

• withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I do this. My budget is 1200 and I like to leave 600+ for dinner. It's gotten easier because I know what I can eat now. I have about 5 meals I like for breakfast, all under 200 cals, which leaves me room for most lunches or a small lunch with snacks (though I try not to snack). I love eating big dinners and a small late night something
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Dinner is my largest meal, but not high calorie. I prefer high volume at that meal, so I can have room for dessert and can eat comfortably throughout the day.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Anyone do this?
    Does it get easier after a while?

Tonight I'll have a bigger dinner, but I usually do the opposite--I log the day before and generally plan a smaller dinner so I can have a bigger breakfast.

If I want a bigger dinner, I will eat less during the day, but it's not a habit to eat a big dinner at night.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is usually 200-300 calories. Lunch is typically 300-500 calories. 500-600 calories is a normal, filling dinner for me. I do generally have a snack in the evening and maybe one in the afternoon.
    If I was doing something for a big special occasion dinner then I might have a light lunch or skip the snacks but I wouldn't eat very little all day. That sounds miserable and unnecessary.
  • pandher1982
    pandher1982 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am pretty new here but I love this idea. I don't like breakfast at all but need to eat more at night. Trying to eat more in the morning but then find I overdo my calories. I guess everyone's body is different and you need to find what works for you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    aleikita wrote: »
    I eat the heaviest meal of the day at noon so that my body has time to burn calories before I go to sleep.
    You burn calories sleeping too. In fact you burn more fat calories sleeping than any other time of the day. As long as one is in calorie deficit, meal timing/size is of no real relevance when it comes to weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    aleikita wrote: »
    I eat the heaviest meal of the day at noon so that my body has time to burn calories before I go to sleep.
    You burn calories sleeping too. In fact you burn more fat calories sleeping than any other time of the day. As long as one is in calorie deficit, meal timing/size is of no real relevance when it comes to weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Is this why I hear that 8-9 hours of sleep is essential to fat loss? I have read in several fitness magazines that most movie stars state there trainers make it mandatory they get enough sleep during there training phases. Trainers go as far to call them at 9pm to make sure there in bed.
  • lowriderjim
    lowriderjim Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have tried tried different ways to deal with larger meals and the best for me is to cut back in advance of the situation.

The key to me is finding a new "feeling hungry" sensation. This also carries over to feeling full or stuffed. The stuffed feeling was my old sensation now it is uncomfortable.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Many people do this. I prefer having larger meals, so I practice intermittent fasting, with 4-5 large meals between noon and 6pm. If you can live on one meal a day, then go for it, but if you're training as well, you might want to look into BCAA supplements to avoid potential muscle loss from exercising while fasted.