Weight loss and body odour... need some suggestions

Options
124»

Replies

• SmaugHugs
    SmaugHugs Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You're not pregnant are you? Sense of smell changes drastically in first trimester

Not pregnant. I had a whole panel of blood work done recently and came back negative for everything.
    i feel your pain! I apologise if this advice has already been given, but I swear by Bonedri antiperspirant. Its supposed to reduce sweating, but it doesn't do that for me. It is however the best ever at preventing whiffy smells. I also use clean workout gear each time, and stick a bit of Napisan in the wash with sports kit. Its a disinfectant/deodoriser for fabric nappies - works a treat on clothes.

Hm, I'm fine with sweating, that's easy enough to handle, but the smell bugs me. I think I'll try that bonedri you suggested, thanks.:-)
  • shinisize
    shinisize Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I personally can't wear any of the Secret brand deodorants because they ALWAYS make me smell like cat pee, even if I am just sweating because it is hot out. Before I realized it was my deoderant I had tried changing my diet, laundry soap, etc. I ended up eventually switching to using coconut oil right after the shower and an aluminum free deoderant, and now I just smell like regular BO if I haven't applied deodorant in 12+hrs. Additionally, the natural stuff washes completely out of my clothes, so a little oxyclean or color safe bleach (same thing) in the wash is able to fully remove any smellies. I no longer have to toss tops before I actually wear them out anymore.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    brendak76 wrote: »
    Yes on the vinegar in the rinse cycle.

I make my own deodorant and it works far better than any store bought. Here's what I use. Http://wellnessmama.com/1523/natural-deodorant/. I make the first one.

Thanks @brendak76 for posting the link for the natural deodorant recipe. I stopped using the regular types of anti-perspirants several years ago due to possible health risks associated with aluminum. However, they are pretty expensive ($14 for Soapwalla on Amazon), so having a recipe is helpful.

OP, I've found the natural deodorants actually work as well or better than the regular old Secret, Mitchum, Suave, etc.

I've found that natural deodorants work about as well as using nothing at all. If you're a heavy sweater you might have the same experience I did.

Same here. I think my actual under arm might not have stunk, but once it got on my clothes - nope. Couldn't crank out that 10-12 hour work day before stinking up the joint
  • SmaugHugs
    Options
    shinisize wrote: »
    I personally can't wear any of the Secret brand deodorants because they ALWAYS make me smell like cat pee, even if I am just sweating because it is hot out. Before I realized it was my deoderant I had tried changing my diet, laundry soap, etc. I ended up eventually switching to using coconut oil right after the shower and an aluminum free deoderant, and now I just smell like regular BO if I haven't applied deodorant in 12+hrs. Additionally, the natural stuff washes completely out of my clothes, so a little oxyclean or color safe bleach (same thing) in the wash is able to fully remove any smellies. I no longer have to toss tops before I actually wear them out anymore.
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    evileen99 wrote: »
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    brendak76 wrote: »
    Yes on the vinegar in the rinse cycle.

I make my own deodorant and it works far better than any store bought. Here's what I use. Http://wellnessmama.com/1523/natural-deodorant/. I make the first one.

Thanks @brendak76 for posting the link for the natural deodorant recipe. I stopped using the regular types of anti-perspirants several years ago due to possible health risks associated with aluminum. However, they are pretty expensive ($14 for Soapwalla on Amazon), so having a recipe is helpful.

OP, I've found the natural deodorants actually work as well or better than the regular old Secret, Mitchum, Suave, etc.

I've found that natural deodorants work about as well as using nothing at all. If you're a heavy sweater you might have the same experience I did.

Same here. I think my actual under arm might not have stunk, but once it got on my clothes - nope. Couldn't crank out that 10-12 hour work day before stinking up the joint

I tried the coconut oil that someone suggested on here yesterday. I had my shower, used a homemade sugar scrub to exfoliate under my armpits(another suggestion was to shave/exfoliate) and the smell is lesser today. I don't think I offended anyone yet haha.

I am going to check all my shirts when I get home... nothing wrong with a shopping trip to replace them if need be... because I'm sure there are quite a few that need tossing.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    AprilAY3 wrote: »
    Ha,
    My mother mentioned something recently....

Apparently you can get a hot washer full of soap and water, add and tiny bit of regular bleach and then wash colored items like smelly towels and gym clothes. I just tried it with some old things that I didn't mind losing. I put in more bleach than I intended to, but it seems to have worked without destroying the color.

Something to try if you are willing to take a risk.

Like how tiny a bit of bleach? Have you ruined clothes this way?

I put 3 or 4 tablespoons in a full load of hot water. I didn't add the colored items (mostly purples) until everything was well mixed up.

Yesterday was the first time that I have tried this...but it did seem to work! I wouldn't try it with anything new, but if you are at the point of being ready to throw something away because it is smelly, it might be worth trying.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Alright, agreeing with everyone.

Fresh clothes every time you work out.
    Shower frequently. Sometimes showering before will help kill the bacteria and prevent BO.
    For me, I find Secret Outlast Gel is the only one that really works for me, but you can always ask for prescription deodorant if you smell that bad.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    High protein levels?
  • SmaugHugs
    Options
    SmaugHugs wrote: »
    I have been a lot more active lately since taking up running. I would use the elliptical at the gym, but never really got a sweat going. Well, running gets me nice and sweaty and I love it. There is one problem though... I stink.

I never used to have such an odour problem with my armpits, but now, I do. I have tried quite a few deodorants and antiperspirants... but I still stink. Has anyone come across this while losing weight? What did you do?

Thank you :)

Solved the issue. My PH levels were way out of whack due to a highly acidic diet. Issue was corrected by switching to an alkaline diet. I just have normal sweat smell now.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Just adding another note for using vinegar in your laundry. No need to wait for a rinse cycle, just add one cup of vinegar to your normal detergent directly into the washer as its filling, then add clothes.

Vinegar is an acid. It neutralizes urea in pet stained laundry, and also kills fungus and mildew that bleach does not.

It's also incredibly inexpensive. Wash everything with it all the time, no need for a hot water cycle either, don't have to hurt your fabrics!