What is the best pre workout on the market?

What is the best pre workout on the market!!!! I'm a fan of the "tingle" or the "itch". when I first got into bodybuilding I started off on the old formula of Nutrex Hemo rage and Cellucor M5 back in 2009. Today I find that the only thing that compares to the back in the day stuff is Cellucor C4 or Kardio Fire by Panthera. So I'm looking for suggestions other than buying some crap and being real disappointed.

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    You should probably take the time to find out what you're putting into your body, especially in the case of stimulants. That "tingle" is actually from the nonessential amino acid beta alanine. Which gives you the "tingle/itch" while binding with your nerve receptors causing them to fire. It's primary purpose in sports nutrition is to increase muscular endurance at high intensity. Or your average pump product which generally contains some sort of NO booster, quite often being L-Arginine, which relaxes your blood vessels allowing greater blood flow. Which aids in nutrient delivery and waste removal of your muscles. But another effect found in boars is the suppression of testosterone production, in high doses and prolonged use. Kind of works against itself huh?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Coffee/caffeine
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I like Mr. Hyde... I saw C4 has a new formula I have yet to try. I too love the tingles.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    I stopped using pre-workout formulas because most are either under-dosed or hidden behind "proprietary blends" and are really expensive. I buy individual ingredients in bulk and make my own. However, when I did buy, I would get C4, NO X-plode or Assault - which ever was cheapest at the time.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Coffee or a sugar free monster do the trick for me
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    coffee.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    I stopped using pre-workout formulas because most are either under-dosed or hidden behind "proprietary blends" and are really expensive. I buy individual ingredients in bulk and make my own. However, when I did buy, I would get C4, NO X-plode or Assault - which ever was cheapest at the time.

^^ This. Make your own.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Good ole caffeine.
  • jessef593
    I've been wanting to start mixing my own aswell, what do you guys use for a sweetener or flavour? I couldn't imagine choking all those down by themselves
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I've been wanting to start mixing my own aswell, what do you guys use for a sweetener or flavour? I couldn't imagine choking all those down by themselves

I use Wal-Mart brand "energy" drink mixes. Tastes great and includes caffeine.
  • gs0403
    gs0403 Posts: 38 Member
    C4 pink lemonade or fruit punch
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    I'm liking Progenex Force in Lemon Squeeze right now. I definitely get the itch, but it's not over the top. I also like the convenience of the individual packets.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    Personally, I'll take attitude over any preworkout. I stopped using them back in 2000 and haven't really noticed a lack of working out any harder.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Best pre-workout in my opinion...
    91FylACBWbL._SY550_.jpg
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Yes, caffeine is the best answer. Cheap and effective... Dedication, Hard-Work, and Commitment is even more effective.

If you are looking for an actual, good tasting PWO though:
    • Controlled Labs White Flood Reborn
    • ANS Performance Ritual
    • Ergogenix ErgoPump
    • MAN: Game Day
    • JYM Prejym
    • Omega Sports: Ultima
    • Pharma Sports: Plasma NOX

Beta-Alanine gives you the tingling sensation, but it disappears with continued use. Beta-Alanine is in lower doses in quite a few pre-workouts, despite doing nothing specifically to energize you, prior to exercising. It does however offer endurance benefits, but that requires system saturation over time.

If you want to take it correctly, then buy standalone flavorless Carnosyn-trademarked Beta Alanine and dose at 3-4 grams/day. Timing it to the hour doesn't matter.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    I was using bpi sports and only half a scoop because I feel nauseous on it. I dont really use it anymore.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    paris458 wrote: »
    I was using bpi sports and only half a scoop because I feel nauseous on it. I dont really use it anymore.

For anyone who has ever felt nauseous from a pre-workout, the culprit is probably the Yohimbe or the Rauwolfia Vomitoria extract. Yohimbe/Yohimbine makes me feel like death, so I choose preworkouts without it.

BPI Sports: 1.M.R. has Yohimbe in it...
    BPI Sports: Pump HD does not.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    paris458 wrote: »

BPI Sports: 1.M.R. has Yohimbe in it... BPI Sports: Pump HD does not (see my previous post).

I see, well if I decide to use it and buy a new one I will keep that in mind.
  • jessef593
    I'll pass on the Walmart brands. You honestly get what you pay for, and Walmart, target, gnc were caught with brands that contained 0% of the ingredients listed on their labels. I already have GATs Nitraflex which is a preferred one of mine. I was asking what do people use for flavouring when they mix their own pre workouts from bulk ingredients. Beta alanine, creatine, l citraline, and so on
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    What is the purpose of a pre-workout formula?