What is the best pre workout on the market?

2»

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    whmscll wrote: »
    What is the purpose of a pre-workout formula?

Increased energy, focus, or pump.
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I was asking what do people use for flavouring when they mix their own pre workouts from bulk ingredients. Beta alanine, creatine, l citraline, and so on

You could use any of these:

Carnosyn Beta Alanine: 3-4 g/day
    Micronized Creatine Monohydrate: 3-5 g/day
    Caffeine: 200mg or preference preworkout
    Betaine Anhydrous: 2.5-4 g/preworkout
    Agmatine Sulfate: 1 g/preworkout
    Citrulline Malate: 6-8 g/preworkout

Crystal Light, Mio, or Gatorade mixed with ice water to taste.

Obviously, you wouldn't take a preworkout every single day of the year. So on the days that you don't take it, continue with the beta alanine and creatine for optimal system saturation. You can even afford to skip a day with those, as they will already be saturated in your system if taking 3-5 days a week out of 7 days.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    I'll pass on the Walmart brands. You honestly get what you pay for, and Walmart, target, gnc were caught with brands that contained 0% of the ingredients listed on their labels. I already have GATs Nitraflex which is a preferred one of mine. I was asking what do people use for flavouring when they mix their own pre workouts from bulk ingredients. Beta alanine, creatine, l citraline, and so on

To clarify, I wasn't talking about pre-workout. You asked what I mixed the individual ingredients with. This is what I'm referring to:

k2-_881d46a0-925f-4c72-add9-36e8058b3aee.v2.jpg-2a959fe437c6f3fe9d762033b93d6b1d2666d25b-optim-450x450.jpg
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Another +1 for caffeine...recently I've been enjoying the Crystal Light single packets with caffeine, grape and wild strawberry. While they aren't "natural" like coffee, it's another option to change it up.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I stick with coffee and banana, perfect combination for me.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    I like C4 (though I find that better for cardio than for lifting), Bullnox (I like this better for lifting), or Pre Jym (It's decent on both fronts).
  • kwtilbury
    sixxpoint wrote: »

That's my stack, minus the Betaine Anhydrous and Agmatine Sulfate. What to they accomplish?

That looks like an awful lot of Citrulline Malate; I usually take around 2g pre-workout. I used to stack it with L-Arginine, but found that it lowered my blood pressure to the point I would get shortness of breath.
  • sixxpoint
    kwtilbury wrote: »

That's my stack, minus the Betaine Anhydrous and Agmatine Sulfate. What to they accomplish?

That looks like an awful lot of Citrulline Malate; I usually take around 2g pre-workout. I used to stack it with L-Arginine, but found that it lowered my blood pressure to the point I would get shortness of breath.

L-Arginine has been proven to do jack. What you want to look into is the pre-cursor, Agmatine, which has a number of positive effects: http://examine.com/supplements/Agmatine/

You're thinking of the L-Citrulline dosage. 3g L-Citrulline = 6g Citrulline Malate.

On Betaine...

Cholewa et al., 2013
    In summary, the major findings of the present study are that 6 weeks of betaine
    supplementation improved body composition, muscle size, work capacity, attenuated a rise in
    HCTL, tended to improve power, but not strength in resistance trained men.

Cholewa et al., 2013
    ...betaine improved work capacity for 10 sets of repetitions to
    fatigue at 50% 1 RM [4]. Given improved work capacity with higher volume resistance
    training prescriptions, and the lack of improvement during micro-cycle 2 which imposed less
    of a metabolic demand (4 sets of 4–6 repetitions with 3 min rest), it is likely that betaine
    poses the most ergogenic potential in resistance training exercise protocols that impose higher
    metabolic demands.

Cholewa et al., 2013
    Based on the small differences in HCTL changes, betaine supplementation may have
    impacted body composition via other mechanisms. Betaine has been shown to elevate plasma
    GH and IGF-1, and increase Akt phosphorylation in human skeletal muscle [38]. In mice
    betaine improves insulin sensitivity by restoring activation of IRS1 and the subsequent phosphorylation of PI3K/Akt by 50-100% in a concentration-dependent manner [39]. Thus, it is possible that by elevating anabolic hormones and enhancing downstream cellular signaling,
    betaine may have improved muscle protein synthesis, thus leading to an increase in lean
    mass. Finally, because betaine is a powerful osomylte, the increases in lean mass may have
    been due to cellular swelling without an appreciable increase in myofibril protein accretion.

This study utilized 2.5g of Betaine split into two doses of 1.25g.

Abstract: http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/39/abstract
    Full text: http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-39.pdf

Supplements that utilize Betaine (TMG) and dosage:

Genomyx Origin - 3g (per serving)
    Controlled Labs Green Magnitude - 2g (per serving)
    Omega Sports Ultima - 1.125g (per serving)
    LiveLong Nutrition Betaine powder - 100g
    Pre-Jym - 1.5g (per serving)
    NOW TMG tablets 100 tablets - (1g per tab)
    Cellucor COR-Performance Creatine - 1.25g (per serving)
    Cellucor M5 - 1g (per serving)
    Muscle Tech MyoBuild - 1.25g (per serving)
    Muscle Tech AminoBuild - 1.25g (per serving)
    ANS Ritual - 1.25g (per serving)
  • kwtilbury
    Ah, OK, that makes sense. Thanks
  • SeptemberLondon
    SeptemberLondon Posts: 151 Member

L-Arginine has been proven to do jack. What you want to look into is the pre-cursor, Agmatine, which has a number of positive effects: http://examine.com/supplements/Agmatine/

You're thinking of the L-Citrulline dosage. 3g L-Citrulline = 6g Citrulline Malate.

On Betaine...

Cholewa et al., 2013
    In summary, the major findings of the present study are that 6 weeks of betaine
    supplementation improved body composition, muscle size, work capacity, attenuated a rise in
    HCTL, tended to improve power, but not strength in resistance trained men.

Cholewa et al., 2013
    ...betaine improved work capacity for 10 sets of repetitions to
    fatigue at 50% 1 RM [4]. Given improved work capacity with higher volume resistance
    training prescriptions, and the lack of improvement during micro-cycle 2 which imposed less
    of a metabolic demand (4 sets of 4–6 repetitions with 3 min rest), it is likely that betaine
    poses the most ergogenic potential in resistance training exercise protocols that impose higher
    metabolic demands.

Cholewa et al., 2013
    Based on the small differences in HCTL changes, betaine supplementation may have
    impacted body composition via other mechanisms. Betaine has been shown to elevate plasma
    GH and IGF-1, and increase Akt phosphorylation in human skeletal muscle [38]. In mice
    betaine improves insulin sensitivity by restoring activation of IRS1 and the subsequent phosphorylation of PI3K/Akt by 50-100% in a concentration-dependent manner [39]. Thus, it is possible that by elevating anabolic hormones and enhancing downstream cellular signaling,
    betaine may have improved muscle protein synthesis, thus leading to an increase in lean
    mass. Finally, because betaine is a powerful osomylte, the increases in lean mass may have
    been due to cellular swelling without an appreciable increase in myofibril protein accretion.

This study utilized 2.5g of Betaine split into two doses of 1.25g.

Abstract: http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/39/abstract
    Full text: http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-39.pdf

Supplements that utilize Betaine (TMG) and dosage:

Genomyx Origin - 3g (per serving)
    Controlled Labs Green Magnitude - 2g (per serving)
    Omega Sports Ultima - 1.125g (per serving)
    LiveLong Nutrition Betaine powder - 100g
    Pre-Jym - 1.5g (per serving)
    NOW TMG tablets 100 tablets - (1g per tab)
    Cellucor COR-Performance Creatine - 1.25g (per serving)
    Cellucor M5 - 1g (per serving)
    Muscle Tech MyoBuild - 1.25g (per serving)
    Muscle Tech AminoBuild - 1.25g (per serving)
    ANS Ritual - 1.25g (per serving)

Can I just buy some from you? This sounds really complicated! :tongue:
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Can I just buy some from you? This sounds really complicated! :tongue:

Haha. Just check out examine.com and it will basically tell you what each one of those ingredients does. You don't have to make sure that all 6 exist in a pre-workout. Pick and choose what suits your routine, tolerance, and preference.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Prejym has been the best I've had. They are upfront on what goes in it and I find it to be a great product. The one downside is that it is more pricey than most but im happy to pay the extra price.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    What is the best pre workout on the market!!!! I'm a fan of the "tingle" or the "itch". when I first got into bodybuilding I started off on the old formula of Nutrex Hemo rage and Cellucor M5 back in 2009. Today I find that the only thing that compares to the back in the day stuff is Cellucor C4 or Kardio Fire by Panthera. So I'm looking for suggestions other than buying some crap and being real disappointed.

If you like the "tingle", the Muscletech Shatter pre-workout has a good one. Much more than the C4 in my opinion. I want to switch back when I'm done with this C4 I bought today.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    I was wondering what would be a good a flavour additive, to make it so you can stomach that God awful tasting mix. Something low sugar hopefully. I know supplements and have my preferred doses.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    I'll pass on the Walmart brands. You honestly get what you pay for, and Walmart, target, gnc were caught with brands that contained 0% of the ingredients listed on their labels. I already have GATs Nitraflex which is a preferred one of mine. I was asking what do people use for flavouring when they mix their own pre workouts from bulk ingredients. Beta alanine, creatine, l citraline, and so on

To clarify, I wasn't talking about pre-workout. You asked what I mixed the individual ingredients with. This is what I'm referring to:

k2-_881d46a0-925f-4c72-add9-36e8058b3aee.v2.jpg-2a959fe437c6f3fe9d762033b93d6b1d2666d25b-optim-450x450.jpg

Ahh okay I see what you meant.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited June 2015
    5hr, coffee, and Mr Hyde (tastes pretty good in small doses) all work well for me, whatever is available at the time I'll grab.

Yes, thank you, need to get these, SO much cheap than 5hrs! How does it taste?
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Water.