Gaining max Muscle & min Fat

2»

Replies

• ceorpr
    ceorpr Posts: 24 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    Buff Dudes on youtube have a few videos on preparing food and recipes. I like their idea of cooking a few #'s of chicken in a crock pot to have for lunches throughout the week.

Good point, I do this. I'll buy 10lbs of chicken breast and cook it in the crockpot (usually with lots of chili powder and cumin, sometimes with a beer for flavoring). I can top salads with it, make pulled chicken sandwiches, tacos, burritos, mix it in spaghetti sauce, whatever. Super convenient. I just portion it out and freeze in individual servings. It would be cheaper to use a whole chicken, but I'm lazy and like the boneless/skinless chicken breasts.

FEEKING AWESOME. Loved the crock idea...but bulk cook and freeze and/or multiple uses ...bad *kitten* ...thank you
  • ceorpr
    Brolympus wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    first - you are not going to gain "pure muscle" and there is going to be some fat gain, which you need to accept. You can minimize the fat gain by shooting for about .5 pound per week gain.

second - do you know your current body fat%?

third - what is your lifting regimen?

Yup. Nobody has a 100% p-ratio. You will gain a bit of fat OP. The trick is to cut a lot slower next time. 15% deficit is about the max before you will drop muscle. You are almost guaranteed to drop muscle cutting into the single digit bodyfat percentages too. #struggleisreal

Ya...just learning "bulk" and "cut" ...thanks for you time. You motivated me to keep research and studying this 15% deficit.
  • ceorpr
    SideSteel wrote: »
    ceorpr wrote: »
    Newbie to training. Just learned about Macros. Started 5'8" 167 Lbs of predominantly fat. Dropped 20 lbs and leared quickly muscle loss is a rotten side consequence of core deficit. Hence have learned to calculate core maintenance and started a surplus diet using 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fats to promote gaining maximum muscle and minimal fat. But I have cholesterol issues. So two questions. A) where can I get strong protein recipes with low cholesterol. And B) is the 1 gram of protein per 1 lb body weight the basis for calculating macros ratios or is there a coomon ratio which body building pros or at least very serious amateurs use to gain pure (or at least as pure as possible muscle. Thanks everyone in advance.

You'll very likely be fine with protein around 140g given that you will be in a caloric surplus.

If I were you I would set your protein to around 140g, fats to around 55-65g, and the remainder in carbohydrate. From there evaluate satiety/performance and rate of weight gain when you decide how to make adjustments. Shoot for 2-3lbs/month if you'd rather err on the side of minimizing fat gain.

I'd consider getting your cholesterol checked regularly.

so grateful for the well thought out response. Following you suggestions! Humble thanks!

• ceorpr
    I can't help with the recomp questions, since I'm still a newbie to that.

What I can recommend for a recipe is chicken chili. Shred up some chicken baked in the oven with chili seasonings, and make the base of the chili with diced lower sodium/sodium free tomatoes (not that sodium is bad; I just like to add it in myself to taste), kidney beans, black beans, pinto beans, and chili seasonings of your choosing. I generally do crushed red pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt to taste, black pepper, cumin if I have it, and some garlic powder. Cook some red and yellow onion in a pan until translucent and add those in. After a while, add in 1-2 cans of tomato paste, and simmer it until it reduces and thickens. Add in the cooked chicken near the end.

Great as is, or over yellow/white rice if you want it.

Have 4 sons. Me and baseball loving son tried this recipe tonight. Was fantastic! Thank you from me and son. !!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

What I can recommend for a recipe is chicken chili. Shred up some chicken baked in the oven with chili seasonings, and make the base of the chili with diced lower sodium/sodium free tomatoes (not that sodium is bad; I just like to add it in myself to taste), kidney beans, black beans, pinto beans, and chili seasonings of your choosing. I generally do crushed red pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt to taste, black pepper, cumin if I have it, and some garlic powder. Cook some red and yellow onion in a pan until translucent and add those in. After a while, add in 1-2 cans of tomato paste, and simmer it until it reduces and thickens. Add in the cooked chicken near the end.

Have 4 sons. Me and baseball loving son tried this recipe tonight. Was fantastic! Thank you from me and son. !!
    Tonight I'm making chicken buffalo "dip". Lots of people make it for super bowl or things, but I put extra chicken in it so that it's thicker and just serve it with vegetables (I'll freeze it with green beans for meals, but it's still great as a dip with bell peppers). Since you're actually bulking (I'm attempting a cut..), eat it with bread, crackers, whatever you feel like.

Shredded cooked chicken mixed with buffalo/wing sauce, blue cheese dressing, and cream cheese (mix cheese and liquids separately and heat to evenly melt the cheese into the sauce before adding chicken). For proportions, I use one of the large packages of chicken breasts (about 4-5lbs raw), one medium size bottle of wing sauce, half a bottle of dressing, and one 8oz pacakge of cream cheese.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    On a cut I do about 1.2 gr / pound of body weight for protein
    fat is about 0.35 - 0.4 gr
    Carbs make up rest of my calories.

On a bulk, you can do fine w/ ~0.8 gr for protein.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member

You're very welcome! :)
  • gtmfitness
    gtmfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Try out this lean bulking diet ceorpr

I am not sure how much you train.
    I prefer 3 days per week. Much more lifestyle friendly but anyway:

Lifting days: 500 calories over maintenance
    Rest days: 100 calories over maintenance

Or if you tend to gain fat easily:
    Lifting days: 500 calories over maintenance
    Rest days: 100 calories under maintenance

I set it up like:
    Monday: 500 calories over
    Tuesday: 100 calories over
    Wednesday: 500 calories over
    Thursday: 100 calories over
    Friday: 500 calories over
    Saturday: 100 calories over
    Sunday 100 calories over

Weekly surplus: 1900 calories
    Perfect for building strength and muscle while minimizing fat gain.

Make sure you are tracking your lifts in the gym and striving for constant improvement each week.

Hope that helps!

• ceorpr
    Thanks for the idea. Certainly made me think through the calories. My work out is a "work in progress" as I learn. Working out 5 days a week alternating upper body chest/tri's and Back/biceps 3 days a wreek. Then lower body & abs 2 days a week. So my down days are weekends and I was very concerned keeping a consistent surplus daily would lead to a yoyo effect. It makes much more sense they wsy you've explained it and I can adjust the concept to my work out routine. Thanks Sir!
  • ceorpr

Tonight I'm making chicken buffalo "dip". Lots of people make it for super bowl or things, but I put extra chicken in it so that it's thicker and just serve it with vegetables (I'll freeze it with green beans for meals, but it's still great as a dip with bell peppers). Since you're actually bulking (I'm attempting a cut..), eat it with bread, crackers, whatever you feel like.

Shredded cooked chicken mixed with buffalo/wing sauce, blue cheese dressing, and cream cheese (mix cheese and liquids separately and heat to evenly melt the cheese into the sauce before adding chicken). For proportions, I use one of the large packages of chicken breasts (about 4-5lbs raw), one medium size bottle of wing sauce, half a bottle of dressing, and one 8oz pacakge of cream cheese.

Sounds TERRIFIC! Wife says she will make this for next baseball game. Again thanks for ideas.
  • ceorpr

Sounds TERRIFIC! Wife says she will make this for next baseball game. Again thanks for ideas.
    FYI... wife says awesome dip gluten free low carb potential and thinks with low fat cream cheese and low fat blue cheese on veggies vs crackers could still be part of shred. Again...GRATITUDE Pal....CEORPR
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

FYI... wife says awesome dip gluten free low carb potential and thinks with low fat cream cheese and low fat blue cheese on veggies vs crackers could still be part of shred. Again...GRATITUDE Pal....CEORPR
    Yep, it's one of my go to meals while cutting; I just do low fat everything. I also found greek cream cheese at our local grocery store, so extra protein and similar calories to low fat.
  • ceorpr
    Bulking inevitably comes with some fat gain.... How much will depend on your overall caloric surplus, not the amount of protein you eat
    What your saying makes perfect sense. Admittedly I'm getting confused on "bulking". Seems like there is a trade off between fat/muscle gain in which an optimal surplus in Carbs+Fats to Protein ratio exists keeping minimal fat/muscle ratio on the way up. Any additional thoughts on "optimal" conditions are welcomed and appreciated.