Overripe Bananas

Options

Replies

• barbara4599
    barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Elvis Bar recipe, I am making those tonight!!
  • Mariac2911
    Mariac2911 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I always allow my bananas to get that spotty brown look, then I slice them and put them in a Ziploc and freeze. They are supposed to have more cancer fighting agents in them when they're brown and spotty, but I don't like the texture. However, they are perfectly sweet, I add the frozen bananas to my protein shakes or when I make juicing recipes in my NutriBullet.
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Slice them up, freeze, blend once frozen = healthy icecream :happy:
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    frozen for smoothies...or banana pancakes! (one banana, one egg, one eggwhite, 1/4 c oats....blend, make pancakes. cinnamon too if you like. yum)
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Just take the banana's and add some oats to it, mix, and drop like cookies on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350. Great cookies!
  • JessMahoney1
    JessMahoney1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I always allow my bananas to get that spotty brown look, then I slice them and put them in a Ziploc and freeze. They are supposed to have more cancer fighting agents in them when they're brown and spotty, but I don't like the texture. However, they are perfectly sweet, I add the frozen bananas to my protein shakes or when I make juicing recipes in my NutriBullet.

Wooo! I like my banana's with brown spots, as I like them sweeter & Don't like the taste when they are only yellow :)
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Banana bread ;)

Mmmmm ^^^^^^ This and share it!
  • cmcolosi
    cmcolosi Posts: 5
    Options
    Go to www.chiquitabanana.com for a lot of great recipes :-)
  • cmcolosi
    cmcolosi Posts: 5
    Options
    Just take the banana's and add some oats to it, mix, and drop like cookies on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350. Great cookies!

With a few chocolate chips! They are heaven!
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I peel them and put them in a freezer safe ziplock bag. I eat them straight from the freezer as a snack all the time. I am almost out and need to buy more. I like my bananas overripe normally anyway. I won't eat them unles they have spots.
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Smoothies! Or banana nut bread!
    I always freeze them. Try 1 frozen banana, 1 tablespoon peanut butter, 1 cup of water and 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder. Add some ice and blend. It tastes like a milkshake!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    They're great frozen and blended into a smoothie.

Yep... this.

I actually freeze all my over-ripe bananas now and blend them up for every recipe with whatever liquid ingredients the recipe calls for.

Banana pancakes
    Banana bread
    Banana muffins

I :heart: bananas!
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Mix with Greek yogurt and freeze. I just did this the other day and can't wait for more bananas to die....
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I posted a recipe for my banana rum pancakes recently. I love them :)

steelcutpancakes5_sm.jpg

http://www.goudamonster.com/2013/06/banana-rum-steel-cut-oat-pancakes/

Potential pancakegasm.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    buuuuuump!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Today I learned that you can freeze bananas. I seriously never knew that!!!
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I peel them and put them in a freezer safe ziplock bag. I eat them straight from the freezer as a snack all the time. I am almost out and need to buy more. I like my bananas overripe normally anyway. I won't eat them unles they have spots.

I'm exactly the same way! My fiance thinks it totally weird, and I find it totally weird when he's nomming on one that is all yellow with a bit of green at the top. I'm like, where's the brown spots?? Can I get a few brown spots on my banana's please???
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My company's cafeteria always puts the overripe bananas out on the counter for free. I take a few home 2 or 3 times a week. Peel, quarter and freeze for later use in smoothies and protein shakes.

For those of you who freeze them without peeling, how the heck do you get the peel off once they are frozen? I did this once and only the very outer yellow part of the peel came off, the white part of the peel was frozen to the good fruit. It took me 5 mins to peel one frozen banana.

Another good use is to cover them with natural peanut butter, dip in dark chocolate, cover in crushed nuts and stick them in the freezer. These are great on days when you have a whole lot of extra calories in your plan.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options

With a few chocolate chips! They are heaven!

You don't have to add anything else to it? No flour of any kind, just oats?

Is it quick oats?

I have a few bananas that are gone and need to do something with them.
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Today I learned that you can freeze bananas. I seriously never knew that!!!

Wow, I freeze all kinds of fruit when in season locally for use later in smoothies. Mangos (not actually local to northern ohio, but when i find them for a good price i buy a lot and dice and freeze them). Local strawberries are plentiful right now, I'll buy a lot of them this week, wash, cut the top off and freeze them. Peaches will start to come ripe in a few weeks, my family goes nuts for them all year long, we'll buy a couple bushels and cut them and freeze them. Raspberries, blueberries, blackberrie all freeze well for use in smoothies. We even freeze red and green grapes - they make a nice cool treat to suck on.
    The big thing is to make sure none of the fruits freeze into blocks that are too big to use, I put them on wax paper lying on a cutting board till they freeze then put them in a ziplock bag once solid.