Replies

• smile3onme
    Options
    Can I get the recipe.
  • heytherelameman
    heytherelameman Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    No-butter banana bread!

Instead of butter/shortening (the recipe I have calls for 1/3rd cup) I put one single serve container of light yogurt instead! No butter and they taste the exact same!

Then I make mini-muffins with the batter and bake each pan for about 12 minutes. Baby banana muffins. YUM.
  • JessMahoney1
    JessMahoney1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I peel them and put them in a freezer safe ziplock bag. I eat them straight from the freezer as a snack all the time. I am almost out and need to buy more. I like my bananas overripe normally anyway. I won't eat them unles they have spots.

I'm exactly the same way! My fiance thinks it totally weird, and I find it totally weird when he's nomming on one that is all yellow with a bit of green at the top. I'm like, where's the brown spots?? Can I get a few brown spots on my banana's please???

Agree with both! They taste so much better with brown spots!
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Sliced and frozen then dipped in melted dark chocolate.

mmmmm.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a recipe for (healthy-ish) bread or banana muffins that they could share? I'm looking for a recipe that someone has actually tried...not just a random recipe off the internet. Thanks! :)
  • Car_vajal
    Car_vajal Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Just take the banana's and add some oats to it, mix, and drop like cookies on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350. Great cookies!

With a few chocolate chips! They are heaven!

You don't have to add anything else to it? No flour of any kind, just oats?

Is it quick oats?

Just oats. I think the quick oats make a smoother cookie. I've made them with both.

I have a few bananas that are gone and need to do something with them.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    just make sure theyre not horrifically over ripe. A friend of mine got food poisoning... Tho, it was almost like a cleanse...
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Freeze them. Then put them in the blender with a little honey and make "ice cream". Nomnomnom.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Just take the banana's and add some oats to it, mix, and drop like cookies on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350. Great cookies!

Seriously... these are amazing..... but dangerous because I can't eat just one!
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Today I learned that you can freeze bananas. I seriously never knew that!!!

Wow, I freeze all kinds of fruit when in season locally for use later in smoothies. Mangos (not actually local to northern ohio, but when i find them for a good price i buy a lot and dice and freeze them). Local strawberries are plentiful right now, I'll buy a lot of them this week, wash, cut the top off and freeze them. Peaches will start to come ripe in a few weeks, my family goes nuts for them all year long, we'll buy a couple bushels and cut them and freeze them. Raspberries, blueberries, blackberrie all freeze well for use in smoothies. We even freeze red and green grapes - they make a nice cool treat to suck on.
    The big thing is to make sure none of the fruits freeze into blocks that are too big to use, I put them on wax paper lying on a cutting board till they freeze then put them in a ziplock bag once solid.

I do the same. At this time of year look into picking your own strawberries. It is cheaper than buying them in pints and quarts and some good exercise standing and squatting down. Last year we went twice and I got about 5 gallon bags of strawberries. I would freeze them as well on cookie sheets ( I do that with all fruits and veges) and then bag them up. I was unaware that my freezer lost electricity this spring and I had loads of bags of frozen fruit in it that I lost. I'm looking to restock!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My company's cafeteria always puts the overripe bananas out on the counter for free. I take a few home 2 or 3 times a week. Peel, quarter and freeze for later use in smoothies and protein shakes.

For those of you who freeze them without peeling, how the heck do you get the peel off once they are frozen? I did this once and only the very outer yellow part of the peel came off, the white part of the peel was frozen to the good fruit. It took me 5 mins to peel one frozen banana.

Another good use is to cover them with natural peanut butter, dip in dark chocolate, cover in crushed nuts and stick them in the freezer. These are great on days when you have a whole lot of extra calories in your plan.

I cut mine in half with the peel on before freezing... I nuke them for like 15-20 seconds and the banana slides right out of the peel.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I made some almond flour banana bread from some old bananas a few weeks ago. IT was pretty freaking great and added a nice protein hit to my days.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I used to make the banana bran and walnut muffins from the bbc site.. hang on...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/bananabranmuffins_77392

there!
    very popular, kept me alive during festival season without destroying my bank account!
  • cxdyer
    cxdyer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    saw a recipe on here for low-cal pancakes using just 2 eggs and 1 ripe banana (mashed). Thats it, only those 2 ingredients and you make them like regular pancakes. I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options

Is it quick oats?

Just oats. I think the quick oats make a smoother cookie. I've made them with both.

I just whipped up a batch, we'll see how they turn out.

I did 1 large banana with 1 cup quick oats and about 2 tsp vanilla.
  • fourtwingles
    fourtwingles Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    No need to peel first. Just freeze them. Take one out about 5 minutes before you need it and a paring knife will easily take off the peel.
  • JessMahoney1
    JessMahoney1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Well made the frozen banana, vanilla essence & peanut butter ice cream tonight.... YUMMY!!!
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Frozen bananas, Arrested Development-style.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options

Is it quick oats?

I just whipped up a batch, we'll see how they turn out.

I did 1 large banana with 1 cup quick oats and about 2 tsp vanilla.

I really didn't like this. I need to tinker with what goes into it. It was like mushy bananas, not like a cookie at all.