@USATODAY: #BREAKING FDA will require food companies to phase out trans fats

Options
Acg67
Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
Yay! Government overreach.

Do people have no ability to choose products that contain or don't contain Trans fats?

Replies

• discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan. The problem is there are a lot of products that have less than half a gram and list zero. When if you look at the ingredients there are obviously some. This is deceptive and I shouldn't have to look at the ingredients to figure this out. End rant.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I can dig it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    But my trans fat experience!
    tumblr_inline_mzwxkr14tG1s4v4p9.gif
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    if this all goes down that path, I want someone to explain the 3 sea shells before I abandon my charmin.
  • Acg67
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    if this all goes down that path, I want someone to explain the 3 sea shells before I abandon my charmin.

I'm ready for taco bell fine dining
  • discretekim
    edited June 2015
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Haha! I'm glad I'm not the only one obsessed with this! I don't even remember the movie. But I think of those sea shells at least monthly.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

Do people have no ability to choose products that contain or don't contain Trans fats?

In this case, I'm kind of on the bandwagon. Trans fats aren't good for you. They aren't the same as saturated fats, which do have their positive place in the body's food chain.

And no, humanity has proven that it cannot choose products that don't contain trans fats. Companies have proven they will continue to make them if they are allowed.
  • Acg67
    Options
    I'm a fan. The problem is there are a lot of products that have less than half a gram and list zero. When if you look at the ingredients there are obviously some. This is deceptive and I shouldn't have to look at the ingredients to figure this out. End rant.

Then petition to change labeling laws?

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Hey! Why all the trans hate?

*fist in the air for all my LGBT brothers and sisters*
  • Acg67
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

In this case, I'm kind of on the bandwagon. Trans fats aren't good for you. They aren't the same as saturated fats, which do have their positive place in the body's food chain.

And no, humanity has proven that it cannot choose products that don't contain trans fats. Companies have proven they will continue to make them if they are allowed.

So ban beef, esp grass-fed beef due to Trans fats?
  • Acg67
    Options

Do they make them cause they are allowed are because it's profitable to do so? If you made it unprofitable ie it didn't sell well, they'd stop
  • discretekim
    Options

I don't think they are talking about naturally occurring trans fats. For one they aren't even bad for you, and may be beneficial. But added man made trans fats are all bad and shouldn't be eaten.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

I don't think they are talking about naturally occurring trans fats. For one they aren't even bad for you, and may be beneficial. But added man made trans fats are all bad and shouldn't be eaten.

If I assemble the molecule in a lab, it's poison?

If I grow it in a cow, it's manna from heaven?

Gotcha....
  • Acg67
    Options

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0009434

• discretekim
    Options
    So I was about to tell you to do research but I read mine wrong. Naturally occurring are just not nearly as bad. They still have some risks. But man made are much worse. And they shouldn't be eaten and I think labeling is deceptive.
  • jaxass
    jaxass Posts: 2,128 Member
    Options
    Our government...pathetic!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I'm thrilled about this!!!!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    anything that gets McDonalds to start frying their fries in lard again...the way God intended to cook fries.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0009434

From your own link:
    "CLA is a minor animal trans fatty acid. The effect of dietary CLA on cholesterol will be negligible if we assume that our model is correct."
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I think it'd be great if they did this since trans fat has been proven to be so harmful and companies are often secretive about foods they add it to. That being said, I'm not getting excited just yet; they've been trying to phase them out for a long time now! It's really up to the companies to remove them, which some have been doing and I praise them for that!