Is this wrong?

Hello everyone! I can't seem to find the appropriate answers for this.. I'm 26 years old 5'11 292 lbs, very active gym rat 5 times a week.. I used the macro Calc and it says my maintenance calories are 3224, and to lose weight I need to hit 2500 daily. The part I'm confused about is what I'm eating. I'm on the road alot so I go to dunkin and subway usually daily, today I ate a bacon guacamole wrap and a omelete for lunch, and just had a 6 inch flatbread subway philly and a bag of sunchips...

What I've been doing is locating these foods in the myfitnesspal app and selecting them as my breakfast lunch and dinner.. I came up around 2300 calories today.. I must be doing something wrong though? Do I only check the total calories of the meal I'm eating, log it, and stay below my limit to lose? Or do I need to still watch individual things like carb numbers.. the sandwich I had was somewhere around 90 carbs, which seems really high to me. I just don't want to have my hopes up and weigh in after month to find I've lost nothing.

Any input is appreciated!

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    For losing weight, the first thing you pay attention to is the total calories.

The macros are a secondary thing, but for now you really don't need to worry about the exact proportions. Go with the MFP default and get your calorie intake straight first.

I would be more concerned about places like Subway, since they can be a bit more variable on the toppings than other fast food places.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    As far as weight loss goes, the important number is calories. That's where you start.

The macros are there so that you can get a balance of nutrients. That's the second level of where you pay attention. Macros are for a healthy mix and you can work toward those as you work toward your calories.
  • bpetrosky
    I just re-read your post, you mentioned you're a gym rat.

MFP's defaults are low on protein. You can go into your goals and bump that up a bit.
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    If possible, try eating at Dunkin and Subway less.... it's more work to prepare your food but your body will thank you.... trust me on this one (I used to work at Subway)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Be careful when logging food from places like Subway, as the default toppings included in their calorie counts usually don't include things like cheese, sauces, etc.
  • ryanb898
    ryanb898 Posts: 5 Member
    Wow thanks for the quick replies guys, I haven't quite understood how to meal prep with the food scale yet, but when I do learn it I will definitely prep my food.. I'm using subway and dunkin just to give this calorie tracker thing a chance.. as for selecting the foods, I usually add the versions with the most calories then eat a lighter version of the sandwhiches.. but this doesn't feel like dieting to me, so hypothetically speaking if a snickers has 500 calories, and my weight loss calories is 2500, that means I can eat 5 snickers a day and lose weight? Lol I'm just trying to understand, cause I hit my calorie limit but I feel satisfied and that never happens when I do Atkins and such.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    ryanb898 wrote: »
    Wow thanks for the quick replies guys, I haven't quite understood how to meal prep with the food scale yet, but when I do learn it I will definitely prep my food.. I'm using subway and dunkin just to give this calorie tracker thing a chance.. as for selecting the foods, I usually add the versions with the most calories then eat a lighter version of the sandwhiches.. but this doesn't feel like dieting to me, so hypothetically speaking if a snickers has 500 calories, and my weight loss calories is 2500, that means I can eat 5 snickers a day and lose weight? Lol I'm just trying to understand, cause I hit my calorie limit but I feel satisfied and that never happens when I do Atkins and such.

Yep! Although it wouldn't be healthy, you could do that.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member

I guess it depends on your ultimate goals. For most of us, we want to look good naked (LOL) so it is good to incorporate some weight training as well as to eat enough protein to maintain muscle mass as you're losing, so you don't end up 'skinny fat'. BTDT, have the t-shirt.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member

I guess it depends on your ultimate goals. For most of us, we want to look good naked (LOL) so it is good to incorporate some weight training as well as to eat enough protein to maintain muscle mass as you're losing, so you don't end up 'skinny fat'. BTDT, have the t-shirt.

BTDT, wearing the t-shirt over my bathing suit :( I only worried about calories and cardio for the first 30+ pounds and while yes, you can eat pure junky carbs, I wish I had eaten more protein and started strength training earlier.

• ryanb898
    I've been weight training for 3 years now, 4-5 times a week.. I have a solid upper body build but I'm fat around the stomach and thighs due to Chinese food and sushi.. 3 years ago I was 230.. since meeting my girl I've ended up around 292.. I've been very depressed until I found out about this stuff here.. I believe the sugar free diet food and fake sweeteners were influencing me to binge, I'm constantly tired and get headaches more often now.. I want to cut the fat out cause I've built some serious muscle under it in the past years.. any suggestions as to making this effective?
  • bpetrosky
    MFP's default protein setting is on the low side, especially if you're lifting. You can easily go into your goals and bump it up. You could try ~30% and see how that works with your eating patterns.

Your goal is to get enough protein to support maintaining as much muscle mass as you can, but that's secondary to keeping your calories in your target range to lose weight.
  • ryanb898
    Thanks alot! Any good guides to finding nutrient facts with a food scale?
  • bpetrosky
    Thanks alot! Any good guides to finding nutrient facts with a food scale?

That's what the MFP database is for.

The big challenge people have is finding appropriate serving references.

But, suppose you have a bag of frozen vegetables and the serving size is listed at 3/4 cup (85 grams). You can use the MFP entry for that brand at 3/4 cup, and enter a serving size in the proportion to the amount you weighed out.

So if you weigh out 90 grams, your serving size entered is 90/85 = 1.06.

• allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    To lose weight you only have to eat in a calorie deficit, to be healthy and lose weight, eat in a calorie deficit and eat clean and healthy food, and exercise.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Baby steps.

Focus on calories first. Eat your normal foods just less of them. So your calories are lower.

Then start looking at your split between things like fats, carb and protein. Once you got your calories under control.

You might find that your favourite meal at subway isn't worth the 3500kj and start opting for different meats, more salads etc
  • bpetrosky
    On the "most helpful posts" thread at the top of this forum, there's a list of links.

Check out the Calorie Counting 101, Logging FAQ, and Guide to Sexypants, they have a lot of good advice, too.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Your maintenance calorie estimate seems like it might be too high. Weight training doesn't burn a lot of calories, relatively speaking. Maybe look into getting as accurate estimation of your activity level as you can.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Hello everyone! I can't seem to find the appropriate answers for this.. I'm 26 years old 5'11 292 lbs, very active gym rat 5 times a week.. I used the macro Calc and it says my maintenance calories are 3224, and to lose weight I need to hit 2500 daily. The part I'm confused about is what I'm eating. I'm on the road alot so I go to dunkin and subway usually daily, today I ate a bacon guacamole wrap and a omelete for lunch, and just had a 6 inch flatbread subway philly and a bag of sunchips...

What I've been doing is locating these foods in the myfitnesspal app and selecting them as my breakfast lunch and dinner.. I came up around 2300 calories today.. I must be doing something wrong though? Do I only check the total calories of the meal I'm eating, log it, and stay below my limit to lose? Or do I need to still watch individual things like carb numbers.. the sandwich I had was somewhere around 90 carbs, which seems really high to me. I just don't want to have my hopes up and weigh in after month to find I've lost nothing.

Any input is appreciated!

Skimmed this thread but missed whether anyone posted that the MFP database can be out so DOUBLE CHECK the calories against the published menus from the chains ...

And as a gym rat set your protein MINIMUM at 0.64-0.82g per lb bodyweight and your fat minimum at 0.35g per lb

I think you might find it hard to achieve those levels on that kind of food so you may have to adjust

But it's calories that rule ...so make sure they're right

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    If you have been eating low carb and now just skipped to a normal CICO controlled diet you may/ will see a water weight fluctuation upwards ...could be quite a big one and take a few weeks to settle ...it's your glycogen and associated water stores adjusting ...do not panic
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,139 Member
    Remember that Subway subs are usually estimated with a normal helping of vegetables, without cheese, and without any dressing. Calorie dense dressing like mayo or ranch can seriously change the caloric value of a sub.

Weighing your food means exactly that. Every item. To the gram. Yes, including the ketchup. Yes, including the packaged item you think weighs what it claims it does.

What rabbitjb said re: protein and fat.

Your burn doesn't sound absurd: I am older, lighter, and often hit that kind of burn without even hitting the gym and (in general) am within 5% of my projections.

That said, I would start with a 50% of exercise calorie eat back and re-evaluate based on my actual results after a few weeks.