Does P90x3 work? Prepping for tough mudder w/ friend

Options
I'm a p90x fan. My buddy and I are prepping for a Tough Mudder, but also work a hell of a lot (70+ hours a week) so we do morning workouts.

To prep, our plan is pretty simple. Great diet, and the following workout schedule:
  1. 2 months of p90x
  2. 3 months of p90x3 and extra cardio / hot vinyasa classes

Finishing up the first four weeks of p90x, which I love -- but it's also 90 minutes which means 6am workouts every morning. A month back into it (I did a full 90 days of p90x last year) I'm very much back into it and feel in good shape.

Should this work pretty well? Any advice on how to strengthen it? Or does this seem pretty solid for the goals of getting into great shape?

Replies

• jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    If you're already doing, or have done P90X, I do a hybrid of P90X and P90X3.
    Instead of Plyometrics, Cardio X, or Yoga X, I substitute in one of the X3 cardio workouts.

In place of the Shoulders & Arms workout, I substitute in one of the X3 strength workouts with a 30 minute treadmill power walk or run to warmup. (Just my two cents, I felt the Shoulders & Arms workout was a bit of a waste of time).
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Instead of Plyometrics, Cardio X, or Yoga X, I substitute in one of the X3 cardio workouts.

In place of the Shoulders & Arms workout, I substitute in one of the X3 strength workouts with a 30 minute treadmill power walk or run to warmup. (Just my two cents, I felt the Shoulders & Arms workout was a bit of a waste of time).

Thanks for the feedback.

So it sounds like you keep the lengthy p90x "chest and back," "legs and back," "core synergistics" and replace the slower cardio sets with more intense x3 workouts paired with running.... Correct?

Thanks for the advice!!
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If your goal is getting into better shape then P90X and P90X3 are great. However, if you are planning on focusing on Tough Mudder training I would also suggest adding in some running. Hills especially if the one you're running will be on a ski mountain or anywhere with a lot of hills. The P90X workouts are great for building upper body strength which will help you a lot with walls and such, but I wouldn't rely on the cardio for the program to get you through a race like that. I always found his cardio to be lacking.
  • Hypsibius
    Options
    If your goal is getting into better shape then P90X and P90X3 are great. However, if you are planning on focusing on Tough Mudder training I would also suggest adding in some running. Hills especially if the one you're running will be on a ski mountain or anywhere with a lot of hills. The P90X workouts are great for building upper body strength which will help you a lot with walls and such, but I wouldn't rely on the cardio for the program to get you through a race like that. I always found his cardio to be lacking.

Great advice!! Yes, the plan is to do p90x3 classic schedule for 3 months at 6:30am before work every day. And then do running / sports / biking and mixed cardio in the park evenings and weekends. Also throwing in some hot vinyasa classes in place of p90x3 yoga.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Hypsibius wrote: »

Thanks for the feedback.

So it sounds like you keep the lengthy p90x "chest and back," "legs and back," "core synergistics" and replace the slower cardio sets with more intense x3 workouts paired with running.... Correct?

Thanks for the advice!!

Pretty much, yes.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I'm a p90x fan. My buddy and I are prepping for a Tough Mudder, but also work a hell of a lot (70+ hours a week) so we do morning workouts.

To prep, our plan is pretty simple. Great diet, and the following workout schedule:
    1. 2 months of p90x

Finishing up the first four weeks of p90x, which I love -- but it's also 90 minutes which means 6am workouts every morning. A month back into it (I did a full 90 days of p90x last year) I'm very much back into it and feel in good shape.

Should this work pretty well? Any advice on how to strengthen it? Or does this seem pretty solid for the goals of getting into great shape?

Never done P90X but I will say that the toughest part for me was pushing myself to run 10+ miles in the heat, and time and time again having to lift/pull myself up. I'd say most 5X5 programs with pull ups accessory lifts would be perfect for training but this is just my opinion. Good luck, the mud is addicting!!!
  • Hypsibius
    Options

1. 2 months of p90x

Never done P90X but I will say that the toughest part for me was pushing myself to run 10+ miles in the heat, and time and time again having to lift/pull myself up. I'd say most 5X5 programs with pull ups accessory lifts would be perfect for training but this is just my opinion. Good luck, the mud is addicting!!!

Yeah, so I'm hearing that from friends that have done it, too. Basically, don't underestimate the cardio. I'm going to hit up the park and start running; even though I really hate running.
  • ROBJ3411
    ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    As stated above, if you are not running, then do some running....Don't get me wrong there are some people the spend all day on the Tough Mudder course and walk between events....But, we ran most/all the inbetweeens and it was a pretty good smoker. I would say the other thing to do is go to a playground or obstacle type course and practice climbing over stuff( low walls, high walls, other obstacles), monkey bars and such... once again this is some event specific training.... We did the ATL tough mudder last year and it was on an old horse jumping farm(or something like that) so we were constanly climbing over old jumps and stuff like that.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

1. 2 months of p90x

Yeah, so I'm hearing that from friends that have done it, too. Basically, don't underestimate the cardio. I'm going to hit up the park and start running; even though I really hate running.

Since you don't really run for very long/far at the mudder, try this. For 12 miles, Run/jog for a mile followed immediately by a quick 5-10 minute full body circuit focusing on pullups, push ups etc. Go straight to the next mile and continue. Depending on how many rotations you can do is a good indicator of about where you'll start struggling at mudder. Make sure the running/jogging you do is hilly too :)

• amyrichard34
    amyrichard34 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a mudder in August and completed X3 last month. Do the program, do extra running, especially hills and go find a playground to practice monkey bars. I do a circuit subs me neighborhood, running between playground...2-3kms, then doing the monkey bars, then on to the next one. Feeling ready for the run soon. My husband has completed 4 mudder and several Spartan races and he thinks I'm ready too. Good luck with your training and Have Fun!!!
  • timbrophy
    timbrophy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    In my experience P90x3 will not get you in good enough shape for a tough mudder. It's a good program for people who are time constrained but it does not get you as fit as p90x, despite what is claimed. I have always got the best Tough Mudder results by doing either a p90x/Insanity hybrid or just Insanity by itself. Good luck with the TM, it is truly a blast!
  • Hypsibius
    Options
    timbrophy wrote: »
    In my experience P90x3 will not get you in good enough shape for a tough mudder. It's a good program for people who are time constrained but it does not get you as fit as p90x, despite what is claimed. I have always got the best Tough Mudder results by doing either a p90x/Insanity hybrid or just Insanity by itself. Good luck with the TM, it is truly a blast!

Thanks, this is a really helpful note.

I'm enjoying P90x a lot right now -- and I've been up getting up at 6am to make time for it. I'm not married to any plan yet past p90x. You've convinced me at the very least to stick to p90x for the 3rd and final month and just complete the program before making a shift.

Insanity might be the better move for when I finish this program. I hate it, though :).

My goal is to kick Tough Mudder in the face, though. I want to be in the best shape of my life come mid-October... I'm a month into putting the strict diet / lifestyle / workouts to get me there.

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I posted on your other thread.....you definitely need to do some running outside the P90X or BB programs. Nothing will prepare you for running up a mountain like running up a mountain! Well, TM's aren't really on mountains...but still, you need to do some running.

Cardio is a huge aspect of any OCR. I did my first TM when I was not in the greatest of shape. The only obstacles I couldn't complete were the monkey bar type stuff. I completely regretted not running more/further. TM obstacles focus more on fear and teamwork vs athleticism like a Spartan Race does.

Just remember balance and rest in your training. You doing the Philly TM in October?
  • Hypsibius
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    I posted on your other thread.....you definitely need to do some running outside the P90X or BB programs. Nothing will prepare you for running up a mountain like running up a mountain! Well, TM's aren't really on mountains...but still, you need to do some running.

Cardio is a huge aspect of any OCR. I did my first TM when I was not in the greatest of shape. The only obstacles I couldn't complete were the monkey bar type stuff. I completely regretted not running more/further. TM obstacles focus more on fear and teamwork vs athleticism like a Spartan Race does.

Just remember balance and rest in your training. You doing the Philly TM in October?

Great advice. Cardio is not my strength right now (or in a long time). And that's the one :smile:

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »

Great advice. Cardio is not my strength right now (or in a long time). And that's the one :smile:

Ah I'm signed up and have paid for that one. Qualified for OCR World Championships though which is the same day and decided to go to that. I need to figure out if I can sell or transfer my TM entry fee lol.

I'd prepare for some hills, I'm not far from where the TM will be and you'll have some hills, but not a mountain. If you are weak on cardio/running, definitely start adding that in. It is the unnumbered obstacle. Obviously overall conditioning is a huge help, but you spend way more time running between the obstacles then on them ;)