Lemon Water

Options
2»

Replies

• ActiveApril
    ActiveApril Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have warm lemon water almost every day. It does seem to help with my digestion - maybe if only because it's an additional glass of water - but whatever. One positive I've noticed is that I haven't had a UTI since I started drinking it. One negative I noticed was the effect on my teeth - which has since been mitigated by swishing with plain water after instead of brushing my teeth.
  • dwhitta
    dwhitta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My dental hygienist friend drinks lemon water every morning; she uses a straw to lessen the amount of lemon juice on her teeth.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    it's really not a good idea to brush teeth directly after eating or drinking fruit juice. it can scratch your teeth even further.

* i somehow didn't see that previous post *
  • GrnEyes839
    GrnEyes839 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't believe everything I read so let me tell you my .02... I started drinking lemon water because I thought it would make me drink more. It did, but the other thing I can attest to is the way it cleared my acne. I tried EVERYTHING. This worked.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I'd drink lemon water if you like it; it has other benefits that have nothing to do with vitamin C, digestions, and so on. But if you are thirsty after exercise with a lot of sweating, it's great because it adds some minerals to the water. The juice of one lemon (like around 47g) will add about 2% of your daily potassium and 1% of your daily magnesium, both important electrolytes that you'll find in any electrolyte drink.

I cannot find the study, but a few years back I recall reading a study done in the military on what water choices men made when they were very thirsty, in desert conditions. There were a number of choices made available, something like lemonade, water, water with lemon, and I think sugar water and a couple others. Men could pick any hydrating substance they wanted from the group. After a short time, most men ended up consistently picking water with lemon. They didn't know why, as I recall, but I believe the minerals were speculated as a possible reason.