5'5 - 5'6 ladies. What would you like your BMI to be?

Options
I can only imagine I would look a bit ill if I were to get down to the starting BMI in normal range for my height but what do I know. Just wondering what would be an ideal BMI within the normal range?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Other than getting to the normal range, I have not put any thought into an ideal BMI number.
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Other than getting to the normal range, I have not put any thought into an ideal BMI number.

I hear you. I have just reached the normal weight range and I was wondering if I should keep trying to lose until I get to a certain weight, you know, like have a goal weight but I'm not sure what that goal weight should be.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    grace173 wrote: »

I hear you. I have just reached the normal weight range and I was wondering if I should keep trying to lose until I get to a certain weight, you know, like have a goal weight but I'm not sure what that goal weight should be.

Once I got down to the healthy range, my goal changed from a number on the scale to what I see in the mirror. I'm not putting a number on it right now.
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    if your BMI is 25 (or less) there should be weight "range" for your height. talk with your pcm to find a "comfortable" weight for you
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I generally pass on BMI as anything other than a data-point frequently offered up based on my stats. I am aiming for 15-18% body fat, eventually.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 with a BMI of 18.7 and maintaining. What is "right" just depends on what you like on yourself.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", BMI is in the middle now, thinking I'm aiming for low.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6, my BMI hovers between 19.5 and 20 and I think that's spot on for me.

I never had a goal BMI in mind. I just stopped losing weight when I was happier with that I saw in the mirror.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Im5'5 and half and from someone who comes frrom 300 lbs weight, just to get the top of the normal bmi is more than enough for me, i have i guess whats call a hourglass shape and i like me a bit more curvy or big whatever you choose to call it.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I would like to get mine down to about 20, and then build it back up through a slow bulk and heavy lifting. I'd probably start cutting around a 23 or something.
  • grace173
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I would like to get mine down to about 20, and then build it back up through a slow bulk and heavy lifting. I'd probably start cutting around a 23 or something.

20 Sounds good. thanks.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 22, but i'd rather get down to 20-22% Body Fat.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    grace173 wrote: »

Once I got down to the healthy range, my goal changed from a number on the scale to what I see in the mirror. I'm not putting a number on it right now.
    That's my approach as well.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My BMI healthy weight range is 111-150, and my BMI is currently 22 at 132 pounds. I think I would like to get to 120 (BMI=20). I initially thought when I started losing weight I would be done at 130, but I see that there is a bit more to lose, and my body frame is a lot smaller than I thought it was.
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My BMI is currently 19.1 I think. Trying to get down to 18.5 as that is what I think looks best on me. But I also don't have tons of muscle that will account for my weight. I do strength excercises, but just to stay toned. I don't do heavy lifting.
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Mine is between 22 and 23 and I am happy. I am very muscular and solid so getting lower isn't right for me.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    srcurran wrote: »
    Mine is between 22 and 23 and I am happy. I am very muscular and solid so getting lower isn't right for me.

:) This is such a good reminder that BMI numbers are relative.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I worry more about body fat than BMI to be honest. By BMI standards I was a 'healthy' weight before I lost any weight.
  • grace173
    Options
    srcurran wrote: »

Thanks. I'm quite muscular too so I think I might try to follow your lead. Head for a BMI of 22 or 23 rather than 20 is my new goal. Thanks.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I don't give a rats about what my bmi is - it's the most ridiculous measure of nothing important imo!

I'd care more about body composition - using bf%.