5'5 - 5'6 ladies. What would you like your BMI to be?

Options
2»

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    grace173: BMI was never meant to be used on individuals as a measure of fitness, per the fellow that worked out the actual BMI charts back in the '70's. If you're more muscular, then you will be much more fair to yourself if you use body fat % as your measure of progress/accomplishment.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 5 I weight 128lbs on a good day bmi is 21.8 I'm happy with that but focusing on body fat now
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and my BMI is around 19.7 - looking to keep it around the 19 range!
  • bearkara
    bearkara Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    grace173 wrote: »
    srcurran wrote: »
    Mine is between 22 and 23 and I am happy. I am very muscular and solid so getting lower isn't right for me.

Thanks. I'm quite muscular too so I think I might try to follow your lead. Head for a BMI of 22 or 23 rather than 20 is my new goal. Thanks.

BMI can be misleading depending on the individual. You are better off focusing on body fat %.

However, don't get down on yourself because you can't get to the "magic" BMI number. As long as you think that you look fit and healthy, that's all that really matters! :smiley:
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I was at BMI of 21 before (3 years ago) after dieting down, but I recomp'ed after that because I lift. Now I'm at BMI 24 looking better than when I was at 21. I'm trying to lean up some more so I'll probably end up around 23, but it's more about body fat percentage in the end than BMI.
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm around 23 now would like to be closer to 21 or 22, but I'm mostly working on recomp and weight loss would be a secondary goal. I have a larger frame and would prefer to be strong and have a low body fat percentage than just skinny.
  • deviiv
    deviiv Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    At 5'5", last year I was 53kg/19.4 and now I'm 59kg/21.5.
    being skinny-fat/hard gainer, almost any gain was positive as previously I felt like a good wind would pick me up and blow me away Mary Poppins-style. I'm relearning how to wear my clothes now and trying to accept that certain things don't fit the same way and that's okay. Now it's more about the recomp and getting stronger.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I never paid attention to that, which is good, since the internet calculation of mine pops up with "This may be a sign of malnutrition." Which is bollocks. I'm 5'5", 109, and a BF % of 16.
  • percolater
    percolater Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and until I was 46 years old I weighed 110. After quitting smoking I discovered yo-yo and binge eating and now weigh 200 even. My first goal: 175, going from obese to overweight. Second goal: 150 which would take me out of "overweight."

Final goal: 125 as an "ideal," weight for a very small boned person such as myself.

How does a 200 lb woman know she is small boned? Take the thumb and middle finger of your right hand and wrap them around your wrist. If they just touch you're medium boned, if they don't meet you're large boned, if they overlap you're small boned. Want to know if you're muscular? Look at your calves.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    grace173 wrote: »
    I can only imagine I would look a bit ill if I were to get down to the starting BMI in normal range for my height but what do I know. Just wondering what would be an ideal BMI within the normal range?

I've been mostly 18.5-21.5 most of my life. I usually like to be around 20-21.

At 18.5 or so, I'm 35.5"-23.5"-35.5". So you can be at the bottom of the range and be curvy, for sure!

BTW, wrists DO change with weight. I've lost a quarter in in a month. My wrists are down to 6" and my ankles to 7.5". And they both get bigger when I bulk. :) I had to stop wearing my watch this first time I bulked because it went from sliding-loose to too tight to fasten in about 6 months.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
    Options
    I just had an unplanned whoosh over the last two days (and I thought humid air combined with aircon was responsible for running to the loo constantly) and am now at a BMI of 20.1. I still look ok, thus that's not a problem. It's just weired to be on a weight I last had as teenager. I do have more muscles though :smiley:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 (or just under) and my BMI, before I was pregnant with my third, was 24.9, only just scraping into the healthy range:

SAM_3249.jpg
    image sharing

I'd like to have lost maybe 5-10lbs more then, but mainly just wanted a flatter stomach and better thighs!

My profile picture was taken yesterday, and there are a few more recent pics on my profile page, and I'd say my BMI now is around 27. I haven't weighed myself for ages. I tend to look lighter than I actually weigh, so I don't think I need to drop below a BMI of around 23 really.
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5, weigh 130, so bmi is 21.6 and I'm happy where I'm at. I have a more "solid" muscular frame and always have. I think if I got any smaller I wouldn't look healthy.
  • HollieWould1
    HollieWould1 Posts: 68 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I gain and lose 2 lbs here and there so my BMI will fall into the 18 range sometimes. But I am seriously working on this and am at maintenance now. Would like to be BMI 21-22 or whatever.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I would like my waist to be 30in . I am now doing low carb to see if it will make a waist change. My BMI after I hit the BMI 25 I think I will go to the lower end to help with aging. Current BMI is 28
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Current is 20%. Targeting 18%. I'm 5'6" and 131 lbs.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Mine is currently 22. I believe I look best with a BMI around 21. It's not a big difference in weight but it seems to make a big difference on my frame.