A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    If she's generally a good Dr otherwise, I wouldn't be quick to drop her. But if you're losing on your current intake, I wouldn't change anything.

No one THAT stupid is a good doctor. It carries over.

Exactly.
  • Varamyr38
    Varamyr38 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'd call him Doctor Dumba** or Doctor Lawsuit. That is unhealthy to say the least.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    With the amount you have to lose, and under supervision of a good doctor, 800 cal/day is perfectly fine.

If what you're doing is already working, I wouldn't worry about taking the advice, though.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Zaeliekins wrote: »
    I just got my physical and my doctor was asking about how I'm managing my weight. I told her about my calorie intake of about 1350 (mfp set goal) calories and she said that wouldn't help me lose weight and I need to go down to eating 800 a day.
    I'm 205 lbs and 5'6"
    I'm a little puzzled that a doctor would recommend such a low amount.
    Just looking for opinions on this

BMI of 33 so a VLCD like this would be approved for 6-8 weeks or so by many medical authorities.

At 800 it isn't like eating a bit less of what you eat now it's usually a prescribed "protein sparing modified fast" with probably 75 grams of protein. You won't be hungry as it mimics starvation.
  • sarabrunning
    sarabrunning Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Whoa - no no no no no. Get a new doctor and go see a nutritionist or dietitian. 800 is almost half of what your BMR is! (Basal Metabolic Rate) That will slow your metabolism like crazy and isn't sustainable nor will you get prober nutrition. Google BMR calculator and put in your stats and you will learn how many calories you use at rest. Then incorporate your activity level, and see how many calories you need to maintain. Then you can decide on a weight loss plan, for example to lose 1 lb a week, divide 3000 calories by 7 days, and subtract that number from your daily calories and there you are. Good job questioning that crazy advice!
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4' and 1510 calories was recommended so I am sticking to that. Already on week 1 I have lost 3 lbs, so I trust the advice given by people on this app. I do additional exercise but usually don't need to go into the additional calories on there because I feel satisfied. I weigh and log everything and it is working