It Makes No Sense! Please Explain!

Options
2»

Replies

• vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I do log my exercise and eat those calories, fwiw. I find it keeps me mindful about the whole process to input both food and exercise.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    :s I am so frustrated. Can somebody explain this: I'm still trying to figure out how you can lose weight with My Fitness Pal if every time you exercise, you are awarded the chance to consume more calories (it gives you more calories in your "Remaining" column.) All I do then is eat more calories because I think I am allowed to consume more. :/ Obviously I'm missing something here.

Thats why i dont log exercise. Because it's not accurate and should be negligable while calorie counting

No.

I run 5-15 miles 5 days a week. If I didn't add back in at least some of the calories burned through exercise I would be classified as having an eating disorder.

• xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I generally don't eat back most of my exercise calories for two reasons. One, I have my loss goals set to .5lb per week as more of a psychological thing as I tend to panic-binge when I have it set to lower calories. Two, I don't trust all my measurements and history has taught me that I tend to round down so I figure the 250-500/day I get in exercise helps make up for errors in the food log. It's taken me many attempts to fine tune my usage of MFP and my mentality but I feel at ease with it now, for the first time.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    xmysterix wrote: »
    I generally don't eat back most of my exercise calories for two reasons. One, I have my loss goals set to .5lb per week as more of a psychological thing as I tend to panic-binge when I have it set to lower calories. Two, I don't trust all my measurements and history has taught me that I tend to round down so I figure the 250-500/day I get in exercise helps make up for errors in the food log. It's taken me many attempts to fine tune my usage of MFP and my mentality but I feel at ease with it now, for the first time.

This actually makes perfect sense to me (as I do the same thing, hah!). When I read where people burned 800 calories in an hour, and eat all those calories back, I don't wonder why they aren't losing weight. Lately I've been slacking and not logging - have to stop that!!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    so long as it still creates a deficit it doesn't matter how many of the calories they eat back.

be it awarded calories or exercise calories. esepecially those who burn a lot of calories. their body needs the nutrition