Fake Accounts?

Options
RebeccaD22
RebeccaD22 Posts: 202 Member
Sometimes I receive friend requests for people who just don't sound real, if that makes sense. Is this site known to have robot, or fake accounts? My biggest concern is men having a woman as their profile pic and pretending...Any info?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yup, there are fakes out there. That's why I tend to only accept requests from people who leave a message, or I've interacted with on the forum.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Yes. Actually there are regular members that create fake accounts just to troll people. But there are other fake accounts as well.

Then again, there are real peeps too so don't get to worried.
  • RebeccaD22
    Options
    That's a good idea. Thanks! What do they accomplish creating fake accounts?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    RebeccaD22 wrote: »
    What do they accomplish creating fake accounts?

They think it is fun to harass people, be trite or contrary, maybe try to get people to send risque pictures, etc. I dunno. Some people are just silly like that.

• RebeccaD22
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    They think it is fun to harass people, be trite or contrary, maybe try to get people to send risque pictures, etc. I dunno. Some people are just silly like that.

It is beyond me that someone would waste their time doing things like that when honest people are just trying to better themselves. Silly is right!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Yep there's tons of fake ~ troll accts on here, like any social media.
    When i first started i accepted a request from a young girl like 22? Or around that age. She instantly messaged me and i would chat with her often . She said she didnt have a mother so i felt sorry for her. Well after months and months i started to notice shady comments and she was constantly messaging me . Like 25 messges in a few day time frame. So i just stopped acknowledging her at all.
    I thought i was careful never to tell anyone my exact location or name of my job. But i wasnt careful enough. Once we where talking about different types of gyms. I mentioned that i went to the only large gym in my area because it was the only one with a large weight floor , pool, spa and so on. My profile says the area i live in. So with that information, paired with the fact that i once mentioned my gym was close to a grocery store, "she " was able to figure out what gym i went to.
    AND GUESS WHAT....IT WASNT A SHE !! SURPRISED? ?!!! LOL
    Yep some creepy dude showed up at my gym and said, its me chloe951 ! So yeah, there's creepers on here for sure. Since then im careful what i say and who i accept on here. Ive since moved so There's no way I'll ever mention any little details like i did before. Im much more guarded now
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    Forgot to add , his troll acct was deleted years ago so that is no longer the username of the dude. I just wanted to clarify that encase someone else has chosen that username now . I wouldn't want anyone to assume they where a troll .
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    When i first started i accepted a request from a young girl like 22? Or around that age. She instantly messaged me and i would chat with her often . She said she didnt have a mother so i felt sorry for her. Well after months and months i started to notice shady comments and she was constantly messaging me . Like 25 messges in a few day time frame. So i just stopped acknowledging her at all.
    I thought i was careful never to tell anyone my exact location or name of my job. But i wasnt careful enough. Once we where talking about different types of gyms. I mentioned that i went to the only large gym in my area because it was the only one with a large weight floor , pool, spa and so on. My profile says the area i live in. So with that information, paired with the fact that i once mentioned my gym was close to a grocery store, "she " was able to figure out what gym i went to.
    Yep some creepy dude showed up at my gym and said, its me chloe951 ! So yeah, there's creepers on here for sure. Since then im careful what i say and who i accept on here. Ive since moved so There's no way I'll ever mention any little details like i did before. Im much more guarded now

Now this story scared me. :o
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

Still scares me , thats why i only accept certain friends requests.
  • shoppingmaniac86
    shoppingmaniac86 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    This is why I use Skype people lmao!
  • TheCounselorx
    TheCounselorx Posts: 1,182 Member
    Options
    I don't like it hear anymore.... I want my mom...
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

You should always be leery of members of the community that don't have personal pictures as their avatar.
  • Alluminati
    Options

You should always be leery of members of the community that don't have personal pictures as their avatar.

Good thing I know Mau5
  • navyjen
    navyjen Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    There are alot of them around. As a rule I n don't accept requests from new accounts. Maybe not always smart but I've had run in a with trolls
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options

Good thing I know Mau5

Damn good thing. On that subject, what IS your zip code?
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If ever you have any interactions with a member that you feel is breaching the MyFitnessPal community guidelines in any way, please never for a second hesitate to report the member.

Creating such profiles in order to entise others to interact with them is unacceptable and this will always be taken seriously.

There is a report button found on each page or alternatively you can contact either a Moderator or MyFitnessPal staff directly, Staff and Moderator details can be found within the Meet Our Community Team page.

Hope your day is going well!

With Respect,
    Adam, MyFitnessPal Moderator
  • Alluminati
    Options

Good thing I know Mau5

creepy-smile-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-354.gif
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

and ppl that do! :#
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options

Good thing I know Mau5

creepy-smile-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-354.gif

1233009630_38e882e.gif
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    sadly yes some people feel the need to make a fake account of a site like this

boring lives they leed