Allergic to fruit - Dieting is hard

Replies

• moonmina
    moonmina Posts: 21 Member
    Dawn410 wrote: »
    You might see if your insurance will cover a visit to a nutritionist and an allergist. They would be better able to help with your selectively vomiting stomach and weight concerns. I'm truly interested in how your stomach would vomit up on piece of food and not all of its contents. It almost sounds like you coughed and spit the food out, or had heartburn with can sometimes seem like vomit. A true vomit episode would empty your stomach. It is not selective. Anyone who has ever have a stomach bug can attest to that.

Yes, I was so shocked when it first happened. Hopefully I can visit an allergist soon! Thanks for all the information!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Dawn410 wrote: »
    You might see if your insurance will cover a visit to a nutritionist and an allergist. They would be better able to help with your selectively vomiting stomach and weight concerns. I'm truly interested in how your stomach would vomit up on piece of food and not all of its contents. It almost sounds like you coughed and spit the food out, or had heartburn with can sometimes seem like vomit. A true vomit episode would empty your stomach. It is not selective. Anyone who has ever have a stomach bug can attest to that.

I'm curious about that as well.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Definitely see an allergist. It's important to know exactly what you're allergic too, plus you might be depriving yourself of foods that would actually be fine.

But anyway, I can easily do without fruit. Just nuts, cheese, Greek yogurt, granola bars etc.
  • atypicalsmith
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Definitely see an allergist. It's important to know exactly what you're allergic too, plus you might be depriving yourself of foods that would actually be fine.

But anyway, I can easily do without fruit. Just nuts, cheese, Greek yogurt, granola bars etc.

Nuts are fruit.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Please don't go around saying that you have an allergy if you have not been to an allergist. You are making things harder and more dangerous for people who actually DO have life-threatening allergies.

Fruit certainly isn't necessary for weight loss.

How tall are you? You would have to be VERY short to need to lose weight at 118 pounds.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    I think I haven't eaten a single fruit in months. Maybe just some berries in smoothies or something? Either way, you'll live.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    About the only thing you get from fruit that you can't substitute as easily is some of the vitamins like vitamin C. Do you get a similar reaction when you take a vitamin C supplement?

You can snack on vegetables, nuts, crackers, cheese, hummus, protein bars, that sort of thing. Try a drinkable yogurt. That's easily portable.

All foods are on the table for weight loss, and eating a variety will give you the nutrition you need. All you have to track is how much food you are eating for weight loss.
  • moonmina
    Please don't go around saying that you have an allergy if you have not been to an allergist. You are making things harder and more dangerous for people who actually DO have life-threatening allergies.

How tall are you? You would have to be VERY short to need to lose weight at 118 pounds.

Did not mean to offend anyone.
    I am 5'3.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

100% this! As someone who has been incubated several times for life threatening allergies, this is a huge pet peeve.
  • atypicalsmith
    jgnatca wrote: »
    About the only thing you get from fruit that you can't substitute as easily is some of the vitamins like vitamin C. Do you get a similar reaction when you take a vitamin C supplement?

You can snack on vegetables, nuts, crackers, cheese, hummus, protein bars, that sort of thing. Try a drinkable yogurt. That's easily portable.

All foods are on the table for weight loss, and eating a variety will give you the nutrition you need. All you have to track is how much food you are eating for weight loss.

Nuts are a fruit.
  • azulvioleta6
    moonmina wrote: »

I am 5'3.

5'3" and 118 pounds=a BMI of 20. You are already on the lower end of the normal weight range.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    @atypicalsmith , lots of foods that are technically fruits have been listed on this thread but the OP has not mentioned a reaction to them. I suspect some agent like vitamin C is causing her reaction.
  • moonmina

I am 5'3.

5'3" and 118 pounds=a BMI of 20. You are already on the lower end of the normal weight range.

I feel like this whole thread is becoming very critical for no reason.
    I may have not gone to an allergist, but it is still an allergic reaction if my mouth and throat get irritated from eating fruit. I may not know the specifics, but I definitely do have an reaction.

Plus I may be on the lower end, but I do want to become healthier, so I would appreciate some support.
    The weight I gained was definitely from eating badly. I am wanting to have a healthier lifestyle.

• atypicalsmith
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @atypicalsmith , lots of foods that are technically fruits have been listed on this thread but the OP has not mentioned a reaction to them. I suspect some agent like vitamin C is causing her reaction.

She said fruit. She did not mention which fruits.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

I am 5'3.

I may have not gone to an allergist, but it is still an allergic reaction if my mouth and throat get irritated from eating fruit. I may not know the specifics, but I definitely do have an reaction.

Plus I may be on the lower end, but I do want to become healthier, so I would appreciate some support.
    The weight I gained was definitely from eating badly. I am wanting to have a healthier lifestyle.

Lift weights.
  • randomtai
    Also it's called Oral Allergy Syndrome... Check this out here:

http://acaai.org/allergies/types/food-allergies/types-food-allergy/oral-allergy-syndrome
  • LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    She may have a fructose intolerance which is why typical fruits are bothersome but not vegetables, nuts.... And other people have an allergy to something in raw fruit (possibly an enzyme) but not if the fruit is cooked.

As others have mentioned cutting back on fruit tends to be a great way to lose weight, not gain it. Baby carrots are a sweet, healthy veggie that can be purchased anywhere and stuffed in a backpack.
  • atypicalsmith

I am 5'3.

Eat less, move more, and you will do fine. You don't have to eat fruit to lose weight.
  • azulvioleta6

I am 5'3.

Not critical, just factual.

What is your weight goal? If you were to lose more than ten pounds, you would be underweight. This is especially concerning since BMI tables are already so generous for those who are short.

You cannot be allergic to all fruits--it just doesn't make sense. You might be allergic to specific chemicals in particular fruits, such as bromelain--that's a very common reaction. You may also have something like IBS which is causing stomach issues.

If you really want to be healthier, work on getting a proper diagnosis and setting healthy weight goals in cooperation with your doctor.
  • randomtai
    And the flagging begins... usually accompanied with the butthurt.