snacks:
    raw nuts
    a pickle wrapped in sliced turkey
    pickles all by themselves
    olives
    cheese pre-portioned in .75-1oz servings
    a baggie of baby carrots, celery sticks and cherry tomatoes
    non-fruit containing protein bars
    These are things I have on a regular basis :)
    I do eat a good amount of fruit but snacking on plan without it, not a big deal once you get around it in your head :)

Cucumbers, from which pickles are made, are also a fruit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    moonmina wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    All fruit? Everyone kind? Is that even possible?

Sadly yes, I used to be able to eat fruit and ate it all the time. Then I think around middle school it started.
    I guess it wouldn't be an exact allergic reaction, but every time I would eat fruit my stomach would be in pain and I would throw up the fruit I ate and ONLY the fruit. It is very strange. I have been trying to eat little by little to maybe gain some tolerance but it is only getting worse. Now my mouth and throat get itchy plus the throwing up.

:(

What fruits have you tried? Does this include all fruits, even things like tomatoes and squash? Have you seen a GI doc? This sounds like a reaction to the acid in many fruits, especially the itchy throat and mouth. You might just need to take an antacid.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for such great suggestions! But would running on the treadmill 30 minutes five days a week be enough just to start out? I really don't know where to get started. I have so much to learn to start this healthy lifestyle.

All you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight. If you want to run on the treadmill for 30 minutes then go for it, but you can lose weight just fine without doing so. You're best off finding an exercise you enjoy that you can stick with, so you'll stay with it rather than stopping once you reach your goal weight.

So as long as I stick to the 1200 calorie meal plan it is fine? And also beside losing the weight I want to start getting toned, do you have any suggestions for at home workouts?

Is that what MFP told you to eat when you plugged your stats and goals into http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided ?

Since your ticker says you only have 16 pounds to lose, I suggest you set your goals to lose 0.5 pounds per week. More would probably be too aggressive for that little weight and therefore be unsustainable.

I weight 118, so would 1 pound a week be still too aggressive?

At 118, one pound per week would be very aggressive.

• smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Are you allergic to vegetables too? what about tomatoes, peppers, vegetables which are technically fruit?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    You seem a little lost on where to being, so I'm going to leave this here as good, overall advice for beginners:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member

Sadly yes, I used to be able to eat fruit and ate it all the time. Then I think around middle school it started.
    I guess it wouldn't be an exact allergic reaction, but every time I would eat fruit my stomach would be in pain and I would throw up the fruit I ate and ONLY the fruit. It is very strange. I have been trying to eat little by little to maybe gain some tolerance but it is only getting worse. Now my mouth and throat get itchy plus the throwing up.

That is odd.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member

What fruits have you tried? Does this include all fruits, even things like tomatoes and squash? Have you seen a GI doc? This sounds like a reaction to the acid in many fruits, especially the itchy throat and mouth. You might just need to take an antacid.

Yep. I have acid reflux and I get myself into trouble with citrus fruits.
  • moonmina
    moonmina Posts: 21 Member
    Are you allergic to vegetables too? what about tomatoes, peppers, vegetables which are technically fruit?

I can eat most vegetables, but for some reason when I eat raw bell peppers I feel kind of sick, but cooked I'm fine.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited June 2015

I can eat most vegetables, but for some reason when I eat raw bell peppers I feel kind of sick, but cooked I'm fine.

That's because they are fruit.

"Vegetables" that are actually fruit:

- Peppers
    - Tomatoes
    - cucumbers
    - gourds/squash
    - olives
    - avacadoes
    - beans/peas
    - nuts and seeds
    - corn
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Has the OP had skin prick testing to confirm this fruit allergy? Though fruit certainly isn't essential to losing weight, allergy to every fruit seems highly unlikely.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    My grandma is allergic to stoned fruit. Anyway, maybe it's an idea to find out exactly what it is in fruit that triggers your reactions. If it's snacks you're after there are veggies you can have raw - I like broccoli and carrot dipped in hummus.
    But usually I'll have a small gingerbread man!
    30 min on treadmill a few times a week is a grand way to start, it's your call - go with what fits your life.
    Log everything.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    I would absolutely bring veggies.

Baby carrots (or even just carrot sticks)
    Peas in the shell
    salad
    Celery and peanutbutter
    Kale chips
    Nuts
    Chia Pudding
    Chia seed drinks
    Cheese
    Soups
    corn and bean salad
    homemade muffins (to lighten the calories--muffins can be dangerously high for me)
    sandwiches
    pastas

It definitely depends what you can eat and exactly how sensitive you are. There are a lot of "vegetables" that are actually fruits, but I wonder if you tolerate them more? (such as avocado, tomato, pepper, cucumber, pumpkin, etc.) It's also possible it may take you a bit more effort than it would some others. However, I will say that you will get better at choosing foods that work for you and the time will decrease as you get better at it.

Have you seen a doctor about this?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    OP, my advice is to see your doctor and/or an allergist. This way, you can find out exactly what it is that is upsetting your stomach. My guess? And that's all this is - is that it isn't fruit, per se, but something in the fruit. Of course, whatever it is, is probably going to be found in other foods, as well. As such, any suggestions you receive here may not work for you.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    sullus wrote: »

That's because they are fruit.

"Vegetables" that are actually fruit:

- Peppers
    - Tomatoes
    - cucumbers
    - gourds/squash
    - olives
    - avacadoes
    - beans/peas
    - nuts and seeds
    - corn

Just to name a few . . .
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    This happens to me... Most fruit makes my mouth itch, it is a side effect to seasonal allergies and an intolerance. Just don't eat fruit. Problem solved.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    alfiedn wrote: »
    I would absolutely bring veggies.

Baby carrots (or even just carrot sticks)
    Peas in the shell
    salad
    Celery and peanutbutter
    Kale chips
    Nuts
    Chia Pudding
    Chia seed drinks
    Cheese
    Soups
    corn and bean salad
    homemade muffins (to lighten the calories--muffins can be dangerously high for me)
    sandwiches
    pastas

It definitely depends what you can eat and exactly how sensitive you are. There are a lot of "vegetables" that are actually fruits, but I wonder if you tolerate them more? (such as avocado, tomato, pepper, cucumber, pumpkin, etc.) It's also possible it may take you a bit more effort than it would some others. However, I will say that you will get better at choosing foods that work for you and the time will decrease as you get better at it.

Have you seen a doctor about this?

Peas are fruit. Nuts are fruit. Seeds are fruit. Corn is fruit. Green beans are fruit.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    perdurabo0 wrote: »
    Fruit is just sugar; Not a good idea to start with. I take proteins or starches (protein bars, granola, etc) when I'm on the go.

This is completely wrong.
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member

that is physically impossible. Your stomach doesn't selectively vomit up one thing in it. If your stomach is purging, anything in it will come out. So if you had strawberries and chicken for lunch and then vomited, both would come out.

• moonmina
    moonmina Posts: 21 Member
    Dawn410 wrote: »

that is physically impossible. Your stomach doesn't selectively vomit up one thing in it. If your stomach is purging, anything in it will come out. So if you had strawberries and chicken for lunch and then vomited, both would come out.

I had a sandwich and right after I had one piece of persimmon. As soon as I ate it after a couple of minutes only the persimmon came up. I honestly don't understand, but it happens often. :(
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    You might see if your insurance will cover a visit to a nutritionist and an allergist. They would be better able to help with your selectively vomiting stomach and weight concerns. I'm truly interested in how your stomach would vomit up on piece of food and not all of its contents. It almost sounds like you coughed and spit the food out, or had heartburn with can sometimes seem like vomit. A true vomit episode would empty your stomach. It is not selective. Anyone who has ever have a stomach bug can attest to that.