Shorts while running

Options
So, I had given up on running shorts because it hurt my thighs. I tried vaseline, but that only helps for first couple miles. That said, I'm heading south in a couple weeks (HOT!), and would like to wear my running shorts. Does Body Glide work? It has good reviews, but figured I'd ask in case you have better suggestions.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I used body glide for my chest, yes, it works pretty well.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Body glide is AWESOME. I used it when I was in a wedding as a bridesmaid - made a world of difference. I think I only reapplied twice at most and I was in that dress from 11am till midnight or so.

I still have pretty big thighs, despite a 20 lb loss, so I make sure they're thoroughly coated. Even after 5 miles of running, there's no chafing.

Just make sure you store it somewhere that doesn't get excessively hot - I think I remember reading it may melt. That info should be on their website, though.

~Lyssa
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I always just wear the spandex compression shorts. They stay put and protect your skin without adding anything. That is another option if you don't want to keep buying body glide or a substitute.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Body Glide is fabulous. It will melt if you're somewhere hot, though, so don't leave it in a hot car.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I just run in sweat-wicking leggings. My butt gets hungry mid-run and eats my shorts.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I always just wear the spandex compression shorts. They stay put and protect your skin without adding anything. That is another option if you don't want to keep buying body glide or a substitute.

This.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    I just bought a cute pair of Nike running shorts yesterday at JC Penny and they have short spandex shorts sewn into them, so it looks like you're wearing regular running shorts, but the spandex shorts are underneath. Quite comfy! (although I don't run; I wore them around the house last night)
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of those spandex compression shorts, but they weren't quite long enough, maybe it was the brand. I wear ones that go to my knee now, which aren't bad, but quite honestly, not cute at all. I know it's silly, but sometimes you need to have work out clothes you feel good in. Mostly I wear awful old t shirts and long shorts, but I get envious sometimes of the cute running clothes I see. I also get it under the girls (which is annoying because I have good bras!), so it would be multi purpose.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    sadiebrawl wrote: »
    I bought a pair of those spandex compression shorts, but they weren't quite long enough, maybe it was the brand. I wear ones that go to my knee now, which aren't bad, but quite honestly, not cute at all. I know it's silly, but sometimes you need to have work out clothes you feel good in. Mostly I wear awful old t shirts and long shorts, but I get envious sometimes of the cute running clothes I see. I also get it under the girls (which is annoying because I have good bras!), so it would be multi purpose.

The shorts come in several different lengths...I generally go for mid thigh length. But I hear you...if you just don't like how they look, then you need to just find a different way. It certainly doesn't hurt to give the body glide a try and see if it works well for you.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I find Body Glide works pretty well for the spot on my thighs where my running shorts rub against it. It doesn't work as well for the place on my chest where my heart rate monitor strap tends to chafe; there, I find that some medical tape does a better job.
  • FaithRunner29
    FaithRunner29 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love me some body glide, it rocks! I was getting too hot in capris and switched to running shorts and skirts. I use it on thighs, bra line and where my arms rub against my tank top. I have yet to chafe there but I heard it hurts.

I also just got a really cute running skirt from Skirt Sports. Its called the Gym Girl and it runs a little longer with 5in shorties. They are a nice length because they cover the chub and prevent chafing while keeping you cool. It also has pockets which are perfect for keys, gels and your phone. They are kind of pricey but so worth it. I have gone for 7 miles in the skirt and body glide without any chafing. Hope this helps.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Try Old Navy for running gear. They have some really cute color combinations and the prices are really reasonable. I have stuff I've been using for over 4 years now and it's held up really well, too.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Old Navy's active gear is 50% off right now online.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I just run in sweat-wicking leggings. My butt gets hungry mid-run and eats my shorts.

Ditto

I made the mistake of running my last half in those tiny running things that basically look like boyshort underwear. I'm surprised I didn't choke and cough them out.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options

Ditto

I made the mistake of running my last half in those tiny running things that basically look like boyshort underwear. I'm surprised I didn't choke and cough them out.

This is singlehandedly the best thing I've ever read on here.
  • amanda_623
    amanda_623 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cocoa butter on my inner thighs the night before always worked for me. I try to avoid running in shorts as much as possible though haha. If you try the cocoa butter, don't do it the morning of your run. Trust me night before is the best way to go.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

^^^ This

Works for me.
  • ActiveApril
    ActiveApril Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I use body glide when I wear typical running shorts. About half the time I run in compression shorts.. Nike Pro comes in 3 lengths - the 7 inch works but I think it looks silly on my legs. The 3 inch is cute but rides up if I move - AT ALL... lol The 5 inch works great for me - both for running and gymnastics. A couple days ago I found an equivalent at Target that also comes in 3 lengths. I bought a pair in the 4 inch (which fits similarly to my Nike 5 inch) and they seem to work great, though I haven't run in them yet. Reebok also has compression shorts in 3 similar lengths - but for me I prefer the others when it's hot because the Reebok is a thicker fabric.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Have you tried 3/4 or capris like these:

look at me