Clean Eating Question

Options

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    My Lays Potato Chips do not contain trans fat.

Did you know that this past Wednesday the American FDA passed a law that all trans fats have to disappear by June 2018 ?
    This is mostly because the snack and baked goods industry has not made good on their promise to do away with, or greatly diminish these fats. The FDA mentioned that trans fats are not healthy for human consumption and while not going into great detail, they mentioned that trans fats are toxic and especially bad for people with obesity, diabetes and heart disease.
    In the meantime people, just like you, need to read labels and make intelligent choices.

Did you know the FDA cannot pass a law?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    I definitely eat junk when getting stuff from the local gas station. I eat packaged hard boiled eggs, pineapple, and salads there all the time. Pure junk.

B4HENQuIQAAwpBs.jpg

I really want those worms, but hate egg salad.
  • beatadr
    beatadr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The perimeter of my store has veggies AND wine. Not necessarily the best combo, but hey, I can live with that.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    My Lays Potato Chips do not contain trans fat.

Did you know that this past Wednesday the American FDA passed a law that all trans fats have to disappear by June 2018 ?
    This is mostly because the snack and baked goods industry has not made good on their promise to do away with, or greatly diminish these fats. The FDA mentioned that trans fats are not healthy for human consumption and while not going into great detail, they mentioned that trans fats are toxic and especially bad for people with obesity, diabetes and heart disease.
    In the meantime people, just like you, need to read labels and make intelligent choices.

Did you know the FDA cannot pass a law?

I feel a Schoolhouse Rock gif coming on...
  • brianpperkins
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I just don't understand why that is so hard for people to understand and why "it's ok to eat chips and ice cream" turns into "you eat nothing but chips and ice cream".

This is really the most puzzling part of this discussion.

No one ever says "eat only chips and ice cream" (or donuts and Twinkies, etc.) and yet we are constantly accused of saying that just for saying it's okay to eat anything in moderation within a balanced, nutrient-rich diet. It's so frustrating and disingenuous.

I am not accusing of that in anyway. If you read the whole forum you would see that.

You were the one who inferred that people saying there is nothing inherently unhealthy about potato chips or ice cream is equivalent to telling you to stuff your face with them, which is why I think you made this post:

Thank you. I feel like I'm being attacked. I never claimed to be an expert. I just want advice. I just don't think stuffing my face with chips and icecream is what they should be telling me

BOOM

thanks for going back and finding that because I didn't feel like digging through all 9 pages but I knew it was there lol :joy:

You guys are all idiots who obviously have nothing better to do lmao. And I was being a smart *kitten* when I posted the stuffing my face part. I wasn't saying that anyone actually said it. Just that you guys are saying it's not junk food and my opinion is that it is JUNK FOOD :smile: Keep telling yourself it's not TROLL. Actually read your post and thought Wow one of the few posts to actually be nice and get it. lol guess I was wrong. You are all the same on here. Trying to rip people apart. But I won't be teetered. I have lost weight before and will again. I don't care what anybody else's perspective on clean eating is. I didn't ask for that. I was asking if I ate clean till I reached my goal if I'd gain back if I went back to eating what I wanted as long as I was within maintaining calorie range. Instantly people started getting their panties in a wad thinking I actually care how they eat. So if I ask for advise people should atleast give advice on what was asked. And I'm done reading the forum. Not many have nice things to say and I'm obviously not learning anything. I will never post another forum just so I can subject myself to all the laughs and ridicule

Do you see any irony at all in the fact that you are upset because you thought people were laughing at you, ridiculing you, and attacking you (which they were not) and yet you are the one who calls people idiots and trolls?

I was wording Troll because the one I tagged in it called you all trolls when he is now acting like the rest of you. Not really me saying it. I was putting his words back out there. Idiots was all me. I'm not just going to sit back and let you all say whatever you want and not defend myself. People should atleast give advice based on what I asked it for on the forum. Not putting opinions in I didn't ask for

Perhaps when you use terms that don't crumble under the most simple of logical assessments then you can clearly articulate what you want help with. Until then, the obvious exceptions to your arbitrary definitions will appear over and over again. You will never eat, drink, or breathe again if you plan to avoid anything with chemicals. Transport of edible chemical compounds is difficult without some form of packaging. Most commercially available foods, even "organic" (another ever evolving word), are processed in some way.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I tried a store perimeter diet. I gave up around the fifth clearance hot wheel. Sure, it says cherry red, but I tasted only red, no cherry.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    The thread will probably close at any minute now so...

My store goes from produce as you enter...then the meats...next the dairy...and last but certainly no least...the toilet paper.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why that is so hard for people to understand and why "it's ok to eat chips and ice cream" turns into "you eat nothing but chips and ice cream".

No one ever says "eat only chips and ice cream" (or donuts and Twinkies, etc.) and yet we are constantly accused of saying that just for saying it's okay to eat anything in moderation within a balanced, nutrient-rich diet. It's so frustrating and disingenuous.

I am not accusing of that in anyway. If you read the whole forum you would see that.

You were the one who inferred that people saying there is nothing inherently unhealthy about potato chips or ice cream is equivalent to telling you to stuff your face with them, which is why I think you made this post:

Thank you. I feel like I'm being attacked. I never claimed to be an expert. I just want advice. I just don't think stuffing my face with chips and icecream is what they should be telling me

BOOM

thanks for going back and finding that because I didn't feel like digging through all 9 pages but I knew it was there lol :joy:

You guys are all idiots who obviously have nothing better to do lmao. And I was being a smart *kitten* when I posted the stuffing my face part. I wasn't saying that anyone actually said it. Just that you guys are saying it's not junk food and my opinion is that it is JUNK FOOD :smile: Keep telling yourself it's not TROLL. Actually read your post and thought Wow one of the few posts to actually be nice and get it. lol guess I was wrong. You are all the same on here. Trying to rip people apart. But I won't be teetered. I have lost weight before and will again. I don't care what anybody else's perspective on clean eating is. I didn't ask for that. I was asking if I ate clean till I reached my goal if I'd gain back if I went back to eating what I wanted as long as I was within maintaining calorie range. Instantly people started getting their panties in a wad thinking I actually care how they eat. So if I ask for advise people should atleast give advice on what was asked. And I'm done reading the forum. Not many have nice things to say and I'm obviously not learning anything. I will never post another forum just so I can subject myself to all the laughs and ridicule

Do you see any irony at all in the fact that you are upset because you thought people were laughing at you, ridiculing you, and attacking you (which they were not) and yet you are the one who calls people idiots and trolls?

I was wording Troll because the one I tagged in it called you all trolls when he is now acting like the rest of you. Not really me saying it. I was putting his words back out there. Idiots was all me. I'm not just going to sit back and let you all say whatever you want and not defend myself. People should atleast give advice based on what I asked it for on the forum. Not putting opinions in I didn't ask for

I'm more than 100% sure you already got answers to your question. 99% sure it happened on page 1. Here is the gist of it another time:
    You don't have to eat clean. There is no inherent benefit to it, weightloss or health wise. If you only want to do it because your neighbor did it, and are already anticipating when you can put the other foods back into your diet (that you didn't have to cut out to begin with), you're most likely not going to last very long trying to eat clean (which you don't have to do anyway).
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

BOOM

I'm more than 100% sure you already got answers to your question. 99% sure it happened on page 1. Here is the gist of it another time:
    You don't have to eat clean. There is no inherent benefit to it, weightloss or health wise. If you only want to do it because your neighbor did it, and are already anticipating when you can put the other foods back into your diet (that you didn't have to cut out to begin with), you're most likely not going to last very long trying to eat clean (which you don't have to do anyway).

Some people only want to hear what they want to hear. If it's not what they want to hear, must be an attack.
  • BabyPhat90713
    BabyPhat90713 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

BOOM

And I'm 110% sure that people kept trying to make me feel stupid so yes if they are going to keep at it I was to. And I'm 110% sure that I'm done with it all. Its friday night and i definitely have better things to do with my time. DIDN'T expect people to get so offended when I brought up clean eating. Good luck to you all. Wish someone would just delete this forum already. Wish I'd never asked.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

My store goes from produce as you enter...then the meats...next the dairy...and last but certainly no least...the toilet paper.

Off topic but a few years I went to this event at Whole Foods where a local chef was doing an interactive cooking demo. It started with him asking what kinds of foods we liked to cook, then he took us shopping in the store to pick out ingredients. He was like, "has anyone ever had buffalo strip steak, because they look great tonight" and someone said, "wow the salmon looks good too" and he said, "you're right, let's get that too" and then he took us back to get produce, and he sent the wine guy off to find wines to pair with the food once he had decided on the menu. Then he cooked us a 4 course meal and we could watch and ask questions, or just eat and drink. It was amazing

• brianpperkins
    Options

BOOM

And I'm 110% sure that people kept trying to make me feel stupid so yes if they are going to keep at it I was to. And I'm 110% sure that I'm done with it all. Its friday night and i definitely have better things to do with my time. DIDN'T expect people to get so offended when I brought up clean eating. Good luck to you all. Wish someone would just delete this forum already. Wish I'd never asked.

You resorted to childish name calling, reductio ad absurdum, and false assertions that people tried to make you feel anything ... now you want to storm out. Sadly, your behavior is typical.

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

BOOM

we gave you good advice

you didn't like it

you argued and insulted everyone

10 pages of this thread summed up in 3 sentences
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It is very unfortunate that OP refuses to accept that some of the people here who have successfully lost and kept off the weight are giving her very solid advice.

OP, some possibly were misguided in their attempts to get you to see the logic in their line of questioning, sure. That they tell you that clean eating is a concept that only works to your detriment in terms of unecessary stress and projecting moral value to certain kinds of foods vs others, is not a response of being offended. They're right. Listen. You said you've lost weight before. I assume this means you gained it back? What caused that to happen? Examine your thinking. Don't fall into fad diets. I'd suggest exploring what some people here have been trying rather desperately to get into your head.

Or don't. Whatever. These people are just trying to help. You can lead a horse to water...
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    It is very unfortunate that OP refuses to accept that some of the people here who have successfully lost and kept off the weight are giving her very solid advice.

OP, some possibly were misguided in their attempts to get you to see the logic in their line of questioning, sure. That they tell you that clean eating is a concept that only works to your detriment in terms of unecessary stress and projecting moral value to certain kinds of foods vs others, is not a response of being offended. They're right. Listen. You said you've lost weight before. I assume this means you gained it back? What caused that to happen? Examine your thinking. Don't fall into fad diets. I'd suggest exploring what some people here have been trying rather desperately to get into your head.

Or don't. Whatever. These people are just trying to help. You can lead a horse to water...

Well put; unfortunately, I don't think she'll be back to read this.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

Off topic but a few years I went to this event at Whole Foods where a local chef was doing an interactive cooking demo. It started with him asking what kinds of foods we liked to cook, then he took us shopping in the store to pick out ingredients. He was like, "has anyone ever had buffalo strip steak, because they look great tonight" and someone said, "wow the salmon looks good too" and he said, "you're right, let's get that too" and then he took us back to get produce, and he sent the wine guy off to find wines to pair with the food once he had decided on the menu. Then he cooked us a 4 course meal and we could watch and ask questions, or just eat and drink. It was amazing

Was there live music playing too? My Whole Paycheck/Foods has live music. By the way Whole Foods Mac and Cheese in the buffet area is to die for!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options

BOOM

You forgot your flounce.
    scarlett-flounces-out-o.gif
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Well put; unfortunately, I don't think she'll be back to read this.

I'll take that bet! She'll *definitely* read it. Of that I'm 111% percent certain. ;)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

BOOM

You forgot your flounce.
    scarlett-flounces-out-o.gif

<3
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    ccourcha wrote: »
    I try not to eat anything that is processed and comes in a package or wrapper

Who sells you eggs without a carton or unwrapped meat? In my state (and I think most states), any meat sold commercially--including direct by a farm or through a farm-based CSA--also must be "processed" by a processor. But even if that weren't so I imagine they'd wrap it.

If you raise your own meat I guess that's an exception. I live in a city, so zoning laws (among other things, like our condo regulations and space issues and perhaps past calumnies against cows) preclude that.

Fun story... I was in Roatan, and the only market around sold their eggs without cartons. I eat up to a dozen eggs a day, and the market was a bumpy 15 minute water taxi ride away. Things got interesting.
This discussion has been closed.