WATCH HEART RATE MONITORS??

Options
I have been considering purchasing a watch heart rate monitor 2 track burned calories and my heart rate when going for walks and runs and strength training..Are they pretty accurate?? Anyone prefer a certain kind? More answers the better!

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    HRMs aren't going to give meaningful burn numbers for walks or strength training.

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    But for running... they are excellent.

The heart rate information is more useful for using in your training program. *That* is a good reason to purchase a running watch with HRM capability, not to somehow improve on calorie burn tracking.
  • simply_bubbz
    simply_bubbz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

The heart rate information is more useful for using in your training program. *That* is a good reason to purchase a running watch with HRM capability, not to somehow improve on calorie burn tracking.

What you mean training program? Sorry little slow at this lol and hw is it useful?
  • carinthea
    carinthea Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I purchased an HRM when I started working out properly a few years ago - I was attending 5 Zumba classes a week, cycled a lot (well for me, 30+ miles per week) and wanted to know what I was burning...the calorie indicators on MFP for exercise burn are in no way accurate (erring on the very generous side of caution). I love mine, it's nice to watch the heart rate trip upwards while working out seriously. This week I joined a gym and the instructor I had my induction with was impressed that I had one with me. I think that if you are going to be running or doing some high cardio workouts then it's really useful. Walks, weights, don't waste the money.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Possibly. For casual runners, it's of no more value than a watch, or a mobile phone app that'll track distance and speed.

For people looking for performance improvement, then an HRM can be a useful tool. That's a reasonably small subset. For people after a calorie counter, an app that'll track distance is good enough, or at least unlikely to be any more inaccurate than an HRM.

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    It is good to let you know what your place is in your target heart range.

If you want to reach a target range in your workouts, they are great.

I use mine as a cardio training guide not calorie management. It does fine.

I wear it when lifting. If I want to kick up my heart rate I do jumping jacks for a minute.

It is just another tool to give you some info.

• hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options

What you mean training program? Sorry little slow at this lol and hw is it useful?

Many runners follow a program to train for various running events. They usually run 3 to 5 five times a week, going different distances, using different speeds. There's usually a couple short, fast runs, a couple short, slow runs, and one long, slow run on the weekends. The HRM helps track how hard you're running.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Mine is pretty accurate for walking generally giving me about 78 cal per mile which is right around the predicted value.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    They are as accurate as you believe them to be. I go by mine 100% if I'm not going to believe it, why would I believe MFP, and all the other sites out there! I looked at sever calorie calculators and 90% of them gave a higher calorie burn than my HRM. When it comes to walking, it's according to what kind of walking you do. Are you casually walking, are you walking fast enough to elevate your heart rate?

I do a vigorous cardio 5 days a week, for 60 mins, (561 calories yesterday), had 19000 steps for the day (671calories) BMR (1871 calories) total 3049 cals for the day.(only the 561 transfers to MFP) but I guess I should only count 75% of that which makes my daily calorie intake more than what it should be. Or should I raise that by 75%.

I only use my HRM function when I'm exercising. I prefer polar over all the rest. They have 4 for activity, The Loop, A300 (swimming), M400 (gps) V800 (triathlete). I have the V800. They are all waterproof, so essentially you only have to take them off to charge.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/490909-the-accuracy-of-calories-burned-in-polar-heart-rate-monitors/

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    They are as accurate as you believe them to be. I go by mine 100% if I'm not going to believe it, why would I believe MFP, and all the other sites out there! I looked at sever calorie calculators and 90% of them gave a higher calorie burn than my HRM. When it comes to walking, it's according to what kind of walking you do. Are you casually walking, are you walking fast enough to elevate your heart rate?

I do a vigorous cardio 5 days a week, for 60 mins, (561 calories yesterday), had 19000 steps for the day (671calories) BMR (1871 calories) total 3049 cals for the day.(only the 561 transfers to MFP) but I guess I should only count 75% of that which makes my daily calorie intake more than what it should be. Or should I raise that by 75%.

I only use my HRM function when I'm exercising. I prefer polar over all the rest. They have 4 for activity, The Loop, A300 (swimming), M400 (gps) V800 (triathlete). I have the V800. They are all waterproof, so essentially you only have to take them off to charge.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/490909-the-accuracy-of-calories-burned-in-polar-heart-rate-monitors/

You keep linking that blog by a "holistic nutrition coach" ... notice she doesn't link or cite a single source. She does concede "Regardless of the type of movement involved, heart rate monitors may overestimate energy expenditure by as much as around 12 percent."

The confirmation bias around here is astounding. With you is is a very clear you have a Polar bias ... with others on the forum it is a definitive Fitbit bias. Owning one, or several, of a company's products does not magically make the devices somehow operate outside of their inherent limitations.

HRMs have a narrow range of uses ... accurate calorie counting is not one of them. The estimates produced from the same data file vary wildly from one app to another. My morning run today produced caloric estimates that varied +/- 13% from the median value ... all from the same HR and GPS data. To put that in perspective, it's a wide enough variance to make the difference between an A or F on a test.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The wider HRM debate wasn't the question, personally I would use my HRM figure over the MFP one every time for cardio activities. Note I put cardio there, HRM's are no good for strength training.

In terms of your question I guess the first question is whether you are planning on using a HRM strap? there are plenty of devices that do but I only know of the Apple watch and Garmin Forerunner 225 that use a device-based HRM. My devices use a strap.

Next is budget? that'll narrow your options down a lot, so work out what you want to spend and then the range of products that are available. There are a few offers on at the moments so you may be able to get either a good deal or a higher end model.

After that it's personal preference I'm afraid! DCrainmaker has excellent reviews on most fitness watches which really helps.

Me? both my devices are Garmins - a Forerunner 220 and Edge 810. I could easily recommend the 220 to you but as you're a more casual user then the Forerunner 10 or 15 would probably suit you fine (15's newer so you may get the 10 cheaper).
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Options

You keep linking that blog by a "holistic nutrition coach" ... notice she doesn't link or cite a single source. She does concede "Regardless of the type of movement involved, heart rate monitors may overestimate energy expenditure by as much as around 12 percent."

The confirmation bias around here is astounding. With you is is a very clear you have a Polar bias ... with others on the forum it is a definitive Fitbit bias. Owning one, or several, of a company's products does not magically make the devices somehow operate outside of their inherent limitations.

HRMs have a narrow range of uses ... accurate calorie counting is not one of them. The estimates produced from the same data file vary wildly from one app to another. My morning run today produced caloric estimates that varied +/- 13% from the median value ... all from the same HR and GPS data. To put that in perspective, it's a wide enough variance to make the difference between an A or F on a test.

Polar is what I use, it's very clear you don't like any of them and that's your right also. Nothing is accurate, no one ever said they were, but even MFP isn't accurate, but if you're going to go by percentages, don't do it for one and not the other. Use it for your calories, burn and intake, your scale, and anything else that your using.

• golfgirl15
    golfgirl15 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Polar FT 4 watch then get the polar 7 with the Bluetooth that way you have the watch and your polar phone app. I track mine and it is the most accurate but you have to wear the chest band. They are comfortable I hardly know it is there. It pushes me to keep going so I get to my goal calories burned. It is good for walking and weights.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Polar is what I use, it's very clear you don't like any of them and that's your right also. Nothing is accurate, no one ever said they were, but even MFP isn't accurate, but if you're going to go by percentages, don't do it for one and not the other. Use it for your calories, burn and intake, your scale, and anything else that your using.

If you bothered to read my post, I use a HRM. They are useful tools for tracking heart rate. They are not accurate for caloric estimates ... a point you conceded.

golfgirl15 wrote: »
    Polar FT 4 watch then get the polar 7 with the Bluetooth that way you have the watch and your polar phone app. I track mine and it is the most accurate but you have to wear the chest band. They are comfortable I hardly know it is there. It pushes me to keep going so I get to my goal calories burned. It is good for walking and weights.

HRMs are not good for weights. There is not a relationship between HR and calories from lifting.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I have been considering purchasing a watch heart rate monitor 2 track burned calories and my heart rate when going for walks and runs and strength training..Are they pretty accurate?? Anyone prefer a certain kind? More answers the better!

If you are using it to calculate calorie burn I wouldn't really bother. You can get similar approximations of calorie burn using standard calculations like 100 cals per mile of running, 70 cals per mile of walking or 30 cals per mile of cycling etc.

If you are trying to improve your athletic performance they can be useful.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating back your burned calories, but rather focused upon reducing your resting heart rate, monitoring your maximum heart rate, or doing heart rate zone or HIIT trainng, an HRM will be useful. If you're tryng to increase the number of calories you can consume through eating back exercise calories, that's a very slippery slope for those seeking to lose weight. Most avid cyclists and runners I know, do not pay much attention to the number of calories burned. With burn calculations showing burns often exceeding 1000 calories and even approaching 3000 calories, one should immediately realize these athletes would wither away to nothing and eventually collapse in a relatively short period of time. Don't purposely eat back your burned calories. You will become quite disappointed and frustrated if you do.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Options

If you bothered to read my post, I use a HRM. They are useful tools for tracking heart rate. They are not accurate for caloric estimates ... a point you conceded.

golfgirl15 wrote: »

HRMs are not good for weights. There is not a relationship between HR and calories from lifting.

If that's what you read then I conceded, For me it's accurate enough for an ESTIMATE, and that's all I'm saying, not that what it says is written in stone (100% accurate). Just like when it comes to the step counter, on the arm they are less accurate than a pedometer that goes on your waist. But depending on how active you are, they are accurate enough for an ESTIMATE. But you have to know how active you are.

When it comes to activity, these are the minimum guidelines I use. with 300 vigorous activity minutes a week.

http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/adults.html

I use a waist pedometer that measures active minutes at 135 steps per minute.
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Vivofit with the associate HRM but I'm careful about only using the HRM for running and spin classes and stuff like that. The good thing about the step counter is that I still get a small amount of calories each day when I make my daily step goal and it encourages me to be more generally active during the day. I'm dubious about eating back too many of my exercise calories (regardless of how I've earned them) because it is really hard to know how many calories you've earned from exercise. I personally find that eating about half my exercise calories back means I'm not faint with hunger, my energy levels are good and I'm still losing weight (since that's my goal). I got the Vivofit because it gives me a better ESTIMATE (and it really is only an estimate) of calorie burn but I still know that it isn't perfect. I mostly found that the Vivofit gave me less than half of the calories that MFP would give me for the same activity.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the Forerunner 225 to be available in the UK next month. Sick of chest strap HRMs, I feel like I breathe better without them, which may be in my head but I'd still prefer to rid of it. and the 225 is going to use the Mio HRM which gets good reviews for accuracy. I have a vivofit but don't really use it aside to put it on for runs and sync my HRM for it because I'm actually not worried about steps/sleep, I just like activity tracking. So, rather than run with my phone for GPS and pacing cues, interval beeper for interval training, vivofit just to support HRM tracking, going to pack it all in for the 225 once it's out.