WATCH HEART RATE MONITORS??

Options
2»

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Just to add to the confusion. A fitness watch with a chest strap typically is useful for cardio calorie estimating only. As others stated, it can also be very useful for heartrate training purposes too.

A fitness watch with built in heartrate monitoring as well as accelerometers to measure activity can give an all day calorie estimate based on all day activity.

In both cases these are estimates and yes you could figure out as good an estimate with pencil and paper and formulas if you want to count every step in your head and write everything down all day. For most people that's not going to happen.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    mikeyrs wrote: »
    If you're not eating back your burned calories, but rather focused upon reducing your resting heart rate, monitoring your maximum heart rate, or doing heart rate zone or HIIT trainng, an HRM will be useful. If you're tryng to increase the number of calories you can consume through eating back exercise calories, that's a very slippery slope for those seeking to lose weight. Most avid cyclists and runners I know, do not pay much attention to the number of calories burned. With burn calculations showing burns often exceeding 1000 calories and even approaching 3000 calories, one should immediately realize these athletes would wither away to nothing and eventually collapse in a relatively short period of time. Don't purposely eat back your burned calories. You will become quite disappointed and frustrated if you do.

You realize that you are basically saying not to do what MFP is designed to do, don't you?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the Forerunner 225 to be available in the UK next month. Sick of chest strap HRMs, I feel like I breathe better without them, which may be in my head but I'd still prefer to rid of it. and the 225 is going to use the Mio HRM which gets good reviews for accuracy. I have a vivofit but don't really use it aside to put it on for runs and sync my HRM for it because I'm actually not worried about steps/sleep, I just like activity tracking. So, rather than run with my phone for GPS and pacing cues, interval beeper for interval training, vivofit just to support HRM tracking, going to pack it all in for the 225 once it's out.

When it gets cold will you wear it under your sleeve so it can track HR or on top so you can read it during activity?
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    But for running... they are excellent.

Possibly. For casual runners, it's of no more value than a watch, or a mobile phone app that'll track distance and speed.

I *might* agree with that if we could agree on what defines a casual runner.

I don't think one needs to be a runner in pursuit of anything remotely resembling aggressive personal best improvement to justify use of a decent running watch with heart rate capture.

One problem many new runners have is establishing and maintaining the right pace for their current state and exertion level to build their cardiovascular system efficiently. Any old model dirt cheap running watch that offers pace (via GPS or foot pod) plus HR capture will be of immediate use to such a person and can be had fairly inexpensively.

I wouldn't recommend making that expense if someone's only goal is to pursue C25K once and once only, but if the individual has any inkling that running is something they want to pursue, an investment in such a tool will benefit them throughout their running journey.
    For people looking for performance improvement, then an HRM can be a useful tool.

In my view that could include virtually every runner. After all, what new runner isn't looking for performance improvement? HR information can help the runner interested in running for the long term regardless of their ability or objectives.

Where we'd likely agree is there are some folks who are not going to take to running in a way where they'll get full benefit from an investment in such a tool.
    For people after a calorie counter, an app that'll track distance is good enough, or at least unlikely to be any more inaccurate than an HRM.

Agreed. I'm not suggesting here nor anywhere else that purchasing a running watch with HR capture makes sense if what they are after is calorie expenditure counting.
  • nissa5575
    nissa5575 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    If you're not eating back your burned calories, but rather focused upon reducing your resting heart rate, monitoring your maximum heart rate, or doing heart rate zone or HIIT trainng, an HRM will be useful. If you're tryng to increase the number of calories you can consume through eating back exercise calories, that's a very slippery slope for those seeking to lose weight. Most avid cyclists and runners I know, do not pay much attention to the number of calories burned. With burn calculations showing burns often exceeding 1000 calories and even approaching 3000 calories, one should immediately realize these athletes would wither away to nothing and eventually collapse in a relatively short period of time. Don't purposely eat back your burned calories. You will become quite disappointed and frustrated if you do.

You realize that you are basically saying not to do what MFP is designed to do, don't you?

Exactly, Hornsby! The trend on here seems to be to not eat back calories burned, but everything I was taught, mostly through MFP, says you should eat as close to your caloric goal as possible for both healthy body and successful weight loss. Eating back calories with a BigMac is not quite what MFP means, but eating calories back in order to fuel your body is important. You shouldn't exercise just to be able to eat more; I read that assumption a lot on these boards. You should be exercising to burn fat and to power your body.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    But for running... they are excellent.

Possibly. For casual runners, it's of no more value than a watch, or a mobile phone app that'll track distance and speed.

I *might* agree with that if we could agree on what defines a casual runner.

I don't think one needs to be a runner in pursuit of anything remotely resembling aggressive personal best improvement to justify use of a decent running watch with heart rate capture.

The observation I'd make is that the originator asked about an HRM to count calories, not a running GPS tracker. That suggests someone that doesn't need to invest £150 in something when the need can be met with a free smartphone app; Runkeeper, Endomondo, Strava
    One problem many new runners have is establishing and maintaining the right pace for their current state and exertion level to build their cardiovascular system efficiently. Any old model dirt cheap running watch that offers pace (via GPS or foot pod) plus HR capture will be of immediate use to such a person and can be had fairly inexpensively.

And again, in terms of proportionality, can get as much value from an app. I'm argue that HR is of less value until consistency in pace has been mastered as there are so many variables that affect it.

There is little point in spending £250 on the lab tests to establish VO2Max, MaxHR and Lactate Threshold to allow one to accurately plot the training zones, until there is consistency.

Essentially I generally wouldn't recommend using one until one is consistently running at least 10Km sessions. It's not something to recommend uncritically

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I have been considering purchasing a watch heart rate monitor 2 track burned calories and my heart rate when going for walks and runs and strength training..Are they pretty accurate?? Anyone prefer a certain kind? More answers the better!

I purchased a Polar FT4 and am very pleased with it... had it for several years now and got it at a great price. Compare prices online and you can a good deal with a code on some sites. I ended up finding a Sears sale price online and they allowed me to purchase it locally for the same price. $49

all the best finding the one that fits your needs :)
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Example, when you run in the heat, your heart will beat faster and therefore the HRM will gives you more calories, but you didn't do any more effort than you did when you ran in the cold, so, the calories burn will be higher than it should be. This is one of the problems with HRM's.

I disagree with this. I always worked harder when I ran in the heat because I hate working out in the heat. I always had an easier time when it was much cooler out. More stamina, easier breathing.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    Example, when you run in the heat, your heart will beat faster and therefore the HRM will gives you more calories, but you didn't do any more effort than you did when you ran in the cold, so, the calories burn will be higher than it should be. This is one of the problems with HRM's.

I disagree with this. I always worked harder when I ran in the heat because I hate working out in the heat. I always had an easier time when it was much cooler out. More stamina, easier breathing.

I suspect you've missed his point
  • simply_bubbz
    simply_bubbz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have been considering purchasing a watch heart rate monitor 2 track burned calories and my heart rate when going for walks and runs and strength training..Are they pretty accurate?? Anyone prefer a certain kind? More answers the better!

I purchased a Polar FT4 and am very pleased with it... had it for several years now and got it at a great price. Compare prices online and you can a good deal with a code on some sites. I ended up finding a Sears sale price online and they allowed me to purchase it locally for the same price. $49

Is it pretty accurate?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

What MFP is "designed" to do is irrelevant - the way most use it leads to big errors and "inexplicable" weight loss stalls.

Best rule to follow - until you're fit enough to actually run 5k, don't even bother counting exercise burn, because in all likelihood it will just introduce another source of error into your logging process.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Is it pretty accurate?

I've had an FT4 for donkey's years. Once I was fit enough to run moderate distances, the burn numbers were pretty good. When I started, they were big over-estimates. I also experimented with tracking other forms of exercise, and the reported numbers were comically over the top big.
  • ruthbardell
    ruthbardell Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the Forerunner 225 to be available in the UK next month. Sick of chest strap HRMs, I feel like I breathe better without them, which may be in my head but I'd still prefer to rid of it. and the 225 is going to use the Mio HRM which gets good reviews for accuracy. I have a vivofit but don't really use it aside to put it on for runs and sync my HRM for it because I'm actually not worried about steps/sleep, I just like activity tracking. So, rather than run with my phone for GPS and pacing cues, interval beeper for interval training, vivofit just to support HRM tracking, going to pack it all in for the 225 once it's out.

The forerunner 225 is out in the UK - in runnersneed only at the moment I think. I got mine just over a week ago and I love it