My favorite veggie will kill me one day

Options
Only the past Few months have I been able to stomach the fact that broccoli is literally toxic to me. Ive eaten my feelings since I was a small child, so you can imagine my emotional distress when i discovered one day that broccoli with cheese sauce, my number one comfort food, makes me sick, bloated, sluggish, and actually adds to depression for me. Anyone else struggle as badly as I do with not putting this true toxin into your body?
I've eaten it without the sauce so I know broccoli is giving me the problems. And other veggies like it, cauliflower, etc.
How do I gl deal with everyone eating the same foods but I can't have it?

Replies

• lleelloo
    lleelloo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    As someone who has just started an incredibly restrictive elimination diet to help rid myself of allergies, it sucks! But feeling sick after eating my trigger foods sucks worse. It sounds like you may have a sulphur/sulfur sensitivity, and because you've been eating so much of it, your body has reached its tolerance threshold and is now displaying symptoms.

I'd suggest trying to cut back on sulphur containing foods, and after a while start reintroducing them back into your diet in limited quantities to figure out just how much you can consume before you start to feel unwell.

And if you feel like you just can't go without, well then that's up to you to decide whether the discomfort you feel afterwards is worth the momentary comfort from eating these foods.
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's the broccoli and not the cheese sauce? Do you get the same symptoms when you eat lightly steamed or raw broccoli by itself?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to a doctor regarding how you feel after consuming it?
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Go see a Doctor, Allergies are highly complex and just because you feel like you have had a reaction after eating something does not necessarily relate that you are allergic to it. Thee could be many reasons or other medical issues in play. Self diagnosis is never good
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Go see a Doctor, Allergies are highly complex and just because you feel like you have had a reaction after eating something does not necessarily relate that you are allergic to it. Thee could be many reasons or other medical issues in play. Self diagnosis is never good

THIS^^^^^^
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Lol I see what you did there.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Trolling for a Friday frenzy I'm thinking? OPs post is almost word for word with a closed post from yesterday.

From another poster;
    "Only the past Few months have I been able to stomach the fact that gluten is literally toxic to me. Ive eaten my feelings since I was a small child, so you can imagine my emotional distress when i discovered one day that gluten (Breads), my number one comfort food. Makes me sick, bloated, sluggish, and actually adds to depression for me. Anyone else struggle as badly as I do with not putting this true toxin into your body? I' ve gone 3 days so far this time around...tips & tricks to staying away from the GMO non nutritional crap we call wheat please? I have the diet info, i can shop for myself. My issue is my acceptance of this when everyone else around me can eat the poison and be fine."

Since many people do have true food allergies and sensitivities, it really isn't a funny topic.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You probably need more gluten in your diet.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    How do I gl deal with everyone eating the same foods but I can't have it?

You would decide that feeling ill or in pain is not worth eating that food when there are tons of other foods you can eat. You would learn to deal with your emotions in other ways than eating.
    Sometimes you might feel wistful that you can't enjoy a food but you would remind yourself that it would not be worth it.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    See a doctor
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Trolling for a Friday frenzy I'm thinking? OPs post is almost word for word with a closed post from yesterday.

From another poster;
    "Only the past Few months have I been able to stomach the fact that gluten is literally toxic to me. Ive eaten my feelings since I was a small child, so you can imagine my emotional distress when i discovered one day that gluten (Breads), my number one comfort food. Makes me sick, bloated, sluggish, and actually adds to depression for me. Anyone else struggle as badly as I do with not putting this true toxin into your body? I' ve gone 3 days so far this time around...tips & tricks to staying away from the GMO non nutritional crap we call wheat please? I have the diet info, i can shop for myself. My issue is my acceptance of this when everyone else around me can eat the poison and be fine."

Since many people do have true food allergies and sensitivities, it really isn't a funny topic.

Not exactly trolling, just experimenting. Someone commented that if you said the same things about broccoli that the OP of the closed topic said about gluten, no one would care, because everyone is addicted to toxic gluten and get angry about being told not to eat it.

So I decided to test that theory. I got a lot of very well reasoned answers about seeing a doctor and am genuinely surprised no one called me out on using hyperbolic language to describe broccoli. Of course, I didn't immediately start calling people names if they said anything contrary or offer advice. In conclusion, this study is deemed inconclusive because I did not account for all variables.

Thank you all for participating like the reasonable adults you are. :)