I need an Internet Doctor Opinion

Options
enterdanger
enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
Okay, let me just preface this with I am under a doctor's (orthopedist) care. My orthopedist seems more interested in my $50 copay then helping me. I might be doing him a disservice, but that is how I feel.

Anyway, long story short I've been running for about a year. I've very gradually worked up to about 20 miles per week. Then I began to have numb feet. I don't mean my feet were falling alseep either. They were constantly tingly. I went to the doctor who sent me for a bone scan. Turns out I had multiple stress fractures in both legs in both the distal and proximal tibias. Ok. My doctor kept asking me about shin pain. I didn't really have any.

So 10 weeks of not running later the tinglies are gone. Wednesday I got cleared to very gradually start to run again. During my 10 weeks of no running I have done a lot of swimming, stationary bike (which I hate) and for the last 3 weeks elliptical. Doctor had me doing only no impact for the first 7 weeks.

Wednesday night, with a big sh1t eating grin on my face I hopped on the treadmill. I walked for 10 minutes, jogged at 4.5mph for 15 minutes (walking a minute in between each 5 minute interval to see how my legs felt) and then walked another 10 minutes. I kept the walk slow at 3mph and had the incline set at .5. It felt amazing. No pain, no numbness.

Thursday morning I had some tingling in my right foot. I took a rest day.

Friday I started with my same treadmill plan. However when I started to jog, about 3 minutes in I felt tightness/fullness in my left shin. I immediately stopped jogging and walked for about 5 minutes. I could still feel it, so I switched to elliptical.

Today, my shins are itchy. Like healing wound itchy and my right foot is numb.

So after my disertation here are my questions.

1. Has anyone experienced anything like this?
2. I'm assuming the stress fractures aren't healed like we thought, but could this be compartment syndrome?
3. How long should I wait before trying to run again? Would it be ok to rest today and if I have no tinglies try a jog on Sunday?
4. Should I go to a podiatrist instead, could this be a mechanics issue? The orthopedist does nothing. He has me come in, asks me how I feel and charges me $50.

I feel like maybe there is some underlying problem causing the stress fractures. Why wouldn't they heal in 10 weeks of no to low impact activity?

I'm probably a hypochondriac, but I'd be interested in hearing the opinion of other runners. I miss running terribly. Wednesday was like the best day I've had in months.

Replies

• palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It's lupus.

Seriously, though, I would find a new doctor if you don't think your current one is giving you an adequate standard of care.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's lupus.

Seriously, though, I would find a new doctor if you don't think your current one is giving you an adequate standard of care.

h6y4v31bz35h.jpg

;)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Let me preface by saying, your body has to last the rest of your life. Don't be in a rush to get back into running. Ten weeks is a very short time compared to all the years you have remaining.

You obviously haven't healed yet and more running will do more damage. Stick with swimming and bicycling for a while.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    It's lupus.

yup, I poked around till I found drs that I liked.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Save your $50 here's my 2 cents....I suffer from shin splints and I constantly have that tingling and itchy feeling. I spent the winter strengthening my shins daily only to find the minute I started power walking at 4.5 and higher speeds that the tingling, numbness and sore shins reappeared. I now golf and pull my cart the 5.5 miles up and down the coarse and the itchy tingling feeling appears when I stand up from bed in the morning. I take Ibuprofen, icy hot and suck it up. I would suggest finding another doctor. Good luck and I hope you find relief and answers to this.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly not a doctor, and agree that you should find one who is willing to look at your case from multiple angles, but I'm wondering if maybe you need to strengthen your bones before getting back to high impact exercise.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    easy way to tell if it's shin splits is tape them puppies up- start bottom outside of the ankle- run a diagonal line to the inside of the knee- tape inside ankle to the outside of the knee- go bottom to top- don't do top to bottom.

If one piece doesn't feel adequate- do 5" in strips and do like reverse layered armor X's from the bottom to the top.

It pulls the fascia up and close to the body- if you have shin splints it'll feel better almost immediately.
  • enterdanger
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @PinkyPan1 just to hear that someone else has the itchy tinglies is relieving. My doctor kept telling me that isn't a normal presentation but then offers no alternatives. I went to my regular doctor before the stress fracture diagnosis. I usually see the nurse practitioner (who I really like), but that day I saw the actual doctor. That idiot wanted to test me for MS AGAIN. It's like his solution for everything.

The shins and numbness actually don't bother me too much. It's more annoying than painful.

Thanks for the lupus diagnosis. lol. Love the House gif.

Oh, and as to the muscle build up, I've been running 3 times a week for about 14 months. My long days were up to about 8 miles before I really had any issues. I run both on hard surface and treadmill. Before the stress fracture issue I was also doing quite a bit of leg weights and circuit at least once a week. Wouldn't my bones be strong from that stuff?

I'm kinda dumb when it comes to exercise. I run. I pick up heavy stuff and put it down. I swim laps. I never exercised a day in my life until I was in my 30's. I'm 36 now.
  • bibimazoon
    bibimazoon Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Why not see a podiatrist? Couldn't hurt, right? And may offer better insight

PS I love my podiatrist :) he has performed miracles for my feet
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Get off the tredmill. For some people they're great, for others they're not. I got crippling shin splints this winter training for a 25k on a tredmill. I can outside everyday on pavement or trails and be fine. If i run on tredmills too consistently, the shin splints come back. Most think tredmills are better because there's no terrain changes, and because they're softer on the joints. But for me the tredmill is too soft and with my body mechanics, it was forcing certain muscles to over work to compensate. Give the road or trail a try when you feel better, maybe that will help.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I used to get a numbish/stretched feeling in my foot when I was hiking. Turns out it was a compressed nerve when my foot was flexed. Losing weight fixed it for me. But I'm not sure what the solution would be if there wasn't weight loss involved and it was purely fitness related.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Run outside. Other than that: if the numbness remains I'd insist of some neurological test and a blood panel. Reasons for tingling could be many: shin splints (then really take a break), something on your lower spine, B12 deficiency, maybe your shoes are too slim and you need a wider model, or completely different shoes
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I would set the treadmill to a 2 percent incline. A trainer once told me that set at 2 percent it mimics being outside and reduces the stress on shins.

Honestly, I would just stop running and do something else. *shrug* I get numb feet when I use the elliptical, so I just don't use the elliptical and I don't get numb feet.

• vypressme
    vypressme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Even if it's because of shin splints, it's indirect - numbness/tingling/abnormal sensations are caused by nerve damage or compression. What causes tue nerve damage is a different question. I would see a neurologist.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Your foot numbness might be a factor of your shoes being tied way too tight.
  • enterdanger
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I called my doctor to report that things weren't right and like a dumba$$ he was "Stop running right away!" Duh. Like I was still on the treadmill from last night. lol.

Shoes are good. I've had them fitted at a running store and am in a wide width already. I was right on the edge of wide or regular and from past running experience I knew that I prefer my toes nice and loose rather than even the slightest bit tight. I'm certain this isn't a shoe issue. I also don't have the numbness when I run. I get it when not running so it's not shoe's tied to tight. I do get the itchy, full feeling in my shins when running.

I do prefer to run outside. I generally only run inside if the weather is super awful. The ortho wanted me on soft surface for starting back up and suggested the treadmill.

He wants me to come back to the office so we can "talk about my options." I'm debating. Why can't he tell me my options over the phone? Why do I need to lose an hour of my life and $50 just to discuss options?
  • jrodri0105
    jrodri0105 Posts: 91 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Try taking some supplements such as magnesium at bed time may help.

http://drsircus.com/medicine/magnesium/magnesium-deficiency-symptoms-diagnosis

You can't really over dose on magnesium. Its very difficult to get enough in your diet.

I take two pills at bedtime. It helps with sleep, muscle soreness. It has helped my husband with tingling.

It is not compartment syndrome. Trust me you would know if you had this. The amount of pain is not tolerable.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Not a dr, but what I would do in your place, especially if symptoms got better while not running, would be to get completelly off running for the next months, forget the bike too as it also puts pressure in the area, and focus on swimming, then add walking. If all was fine e.g. by the end of summer, then I would add intervals of running and see how things progress.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I called my doctor to report that things weren't right and like a dumba$$ he was "Stop running right away!" Duh. Like I was still on the treadmill from last night. lol.

Shoes are good. I've had them fitted at a running store and am in a wide width already. I was right on the edge of wide or regular and from past running experience I knew that I prefer my toes nice and loose rather than even the slightest bit tight. I'm certain this isn't a shoe issue. I also don't have the numbness when I run. I get it when not running so it's not shoe's tied to tight. I do get the itchy, full feeling in my shins when running.

I do prefer to run outside. I generally only run inside if the weather is super awful. The ortho wanted me on soft surface for starting back up and suggested the treadmill.

He wants me to come back to the office so we can "talk about my options." I'm debating. Why can't he tell me my options over the phone? Why do I need to lose an hour of my life and $50 just to discuss options?

Maybe because his professional time is not free?