I need an Internet Doctor Opinion

Options
2»

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, literally. My story is pretty similar to yours. About 7 weeks ago I gave myself a rest because I thought my hamstrings were tender and could use the break. During the break my calves seized up, and have been in a constant state of tightness, with intermittent pain ever since. I have not had a meaningful workout in this entire time. The pain feels like a sharp needle jamming into my calf muscle. Sometimes while at rest I feel these weird sensations, like the muscle is shifting. Sometimes they feel swollen. Never are they pain/tightness free.
    I have been to PT, who prescribes me stretching and strength training. I have seen my doctor, who prescribed muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories. They did an ultrasound to rule out DVT. Referred me to ortho, who I saw this past tuesday. She prescribed a topical anti-inflammatory to add to the medicine cabinet full of meds. Told me to wear my arch supports all the time, not just for running (like I could run, HAH!). So I have been doing all these things. I have soaked in epsom salt baths. I have used heat. Ice. wrapped with ace banaged for compression.
    And here I am, still in pain, unable to do what I love, which is running/working out.

When I read your post, I thought of compartment syndrome, but I could just have it on the brain because I've worried about having it myself. I may not be able to provide any advice the others haven't already given, as if you feel that way about your ortho, get a new one pronto. We (and our insurance companies) are paying good money for their care.
    At the very least, you're not alone in this struggle. Hang in there.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    jrodri0105 wrote: »
    Try taking some supplements such as magnesium at bed time may help.

http://drsircus.com/medicine/magnesium/magnesium-deficiency-symptoms-diagnosis

You can't really over dose on magnesium. Its very difficult to get enough in your diet.

I take two pills at bedtime. It helps with sleep, muscle soreness. It has helped my husband with tingling.

It is not compartment syndrome. Trust me you would know if you had this. The amount of pain is not tolerable.

I agree with the magnesium, I have added that to my meds as well. can't hurt, right?
    But why not compartment syndrome? Acute Compartment Syndrome, yes, I agree, it's an emergency condition of excruciating pain. But chronic exersional compartment syndrome, everything I've read states that it builds up over time, worsens with activity, not necessarily bone-breaking pain, but enough to totally disrupt your quality of life...
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    jrodri0105 wrote: »
    Try taking some supplements such as magnesium at bed time may help.

http://drsircus.com/medicine/magnesium/magnesium-deficiency-symptoms-diagnosis

You can't really over dose on magnesium. Its very difficult to get enough in your diet.

I take two pills at bedtime. It helps with sleep, muscle soreness. It has helped my husband with tingling.

It is not compartment syndrome. Trust me you would know if you had this. The amount of pain is not tolerable.

you can overdose on magnesium - and it will give you the shitters :-)

• CBPT1975
    CBPT1975 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe ask for a referral to a physical therapist at who could help you come up with a comprehensive plan to return to running?
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Could those compression leggings help? I've had peripheral numbness in my hands but mine is a nerve issue not triggered by running. Good luck I hope you get it sorted out soon
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    You have shingles. Get it? Shin-gles.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    ha ha @odesangel. I had a weekend of no impact on the legs and everything feels good, like I could run. I might give this Doc one more chance. I mean I've already spent $200 for him to tell me to rest it, what's another $50. He seems to not believe in surgery at all, but Dr. Google says that in some cases fasciotomy is highly successful in treating compartment syndrome. I'm only 36. If it comes down to never doing any high impact exercise again or surgery I'm picking surgery.
  • enterdanger
    Options
    just an update. I went to my same orthopedist today and he has thrown in the towell. He doesn't know why 6-12 hours after I run I get itchy shins and numb feet. He is referring me to a second orthopedist for a second opinion and I suggested a neurologist based on the suggestions here. Once I asked if he thought it was a nerve issue he was onboard with that. Who knows? Maybe I have bum nerves. I did have the carpal surgery on both hands at a pretty young age.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    New doc is absolutely in order. Could it be something like chronic exertion compartment syndrome?

Edit Oops.. Just read your previous post.. Good luck with the new doc. It's taken me 3+
    years and 6 docs to get on track.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    What about using golf balls/tennis balls as a form of self-massage? You can google it...or maybe even foam roll the shins? Maybe it is a nerve issue, but running sucks *kitten* anyway - so its not like your missing out on much.

At least get a different doctor.
  • enterdanger
    Options
    yeah. I use a foam roller now. that tends to work best on hammys. I thought about compartment syndrome but doctor doesn't think that it is it since I get numbness 6-12 hours after running and feel great during it.