BFDeal wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    I guess I'm just wondering at this point if it's even worth trying to get to 15% body fat, which is a million miles away at this point, if when I get there I won't ever be able to have a few beers, order Chinese food that isn't steamed, etc.

this may help:

is it worth it?
    I feel like I do everything in the 15-20% category already but I'm 28% and for the life of me just can't get lower. I went from 230 to 222 briefly between Feb and May but it only took one week to gain it all back AND I didn't even go THAT crazy that week. I was drinking beers on the beach, not eating all day, and having a big dinner.

How long have you been dieting for?

Personally, that sound sucky. If it were me I would have a lengthy period of eating at current maintenance, continue to do the sports and activities I love doing regularly and then have another crack at it in say 3-6 months (unless there is an identified medical reason you have to lose weight right now.)

Lets not even go there.

OP has been given a million suggestions as to how to get to lower body fat and lose additional weight, and all we ever get back is the excuse train.

The advice is mostly "keep waiting." There's no actual tips or anything insightful explaining what additional steps to take. It seems like I do pretty much what every other guy does but just don't get the same results.

did you ever get your thyroid tested?

did you take a diet break at maintenance and then cut back down?

Well I did for at least a week LOL. How long is needed? I week? A month? A year? 10 more years? Start dieting again when I'm 60? Because that makes losing weight easier, being old. I need advice on what to do now. Not 5 years from now.

I believe I suggested a month.

and did you get your thyroid tested?

I'm going to an endocrinologist next week but I don't have any of the symptoms beyond the weight thing. Plus thyroid issues are uncommon in men. Doctors never actually give any good weight loss advice so I'm guessing it won't pan out into anything constructive. It's probably either crappy genetics or lame luck from losing so much weight. It's a catch 22. You're supposed to lose the weight to get healthy. But when you lose the weight your metabolism apparently goes in the toilet making it impossible to lose more and in super hard to keep off. You still have to do the same work everyone normal does mind you, but with less energy, less food, and less results. It's a total rip off. Fit people have no idea what a struggle it really is.

Glad that you are finally going to get your thyroid tested...

and to your bolded part, really? Do you think I always looked like my profile picture?

Try being a 25 year old 210 pound smoker and find out you have stage 2B lymphoma, do six months of chemo, and a month of radiation and then realize that you need to get your rear in shape, and come back and tell me that I don't know what the struggle really is....

I then spent the next three years slowly getting my weight down to around 170ish through cardio/lifting etc, and then got into circuit training for a bit, and then switched over to heavy lifting about four years..

so for you on insinuate that I someone had the easy route is insulting.

OK so cancer trumps everything. I've got no real comparison for that. I'm talking strictly pound for pound. You see a lot of people who have lost some weight but not enough to have slowed there metabolisms down. "Just eat less!" they say. Sure, easy for them. Easy for you. I've lost three times what you have AND I still have to lose the same amount you did just to be overweight instead of obese. That might actually not too hard if my body behaved the same way yours does. I'm literally starting 300 calories in the hole from the get go at this point though. That's before I take off the 20% to achieve a noticeable loss. That 2100 calories a week are all the treats you no longer get that everyone else is swearing you don't have to give up.

You have been told so many times to take a true maintenance break or reverse diet. Ndj told you how in a thread months ago. I remember it because I then reverse dieted for awhile. I had taken several breaks, which I believe helped immensely with preventing weight loss induced metabolism problems, but I hadn't actually reverse dieted. Instead I ate at what MFP told me was maintenence. When I reverse dieted and ramped up my lifting just a bit, I ended up 250 calories above that for my new maintenance number. Rather than wallowing in self pity over your metabolism, do something about it. It's not an immovable force.

If I'm reading your profile right you've only lost 5lbs over the past few months (not a dig, I know your already past your goal it seems like). I want to lose much faster than that. I'm not sure how taking time off to eat more, probably gain more, then inching out 5lbs every 4 months will help me much. I'd like a solution on what to do to start losing weight now.

Work.
    for.
    it.
    Don't ask to get it handed to you on a silver platter, not even the ones who have an easy time get that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just wondering at this point if it's even worth trying to get to 15% body fat, which is a million miles away at this point, if when I get there I won't ever be able to have a few beers, order Chinese food that isn't steamed, etc.

this may help:

is it worth it?
    I feel like I do everything in the 15-20% category already but I'm 28% and for the life of me just can't get lower. I went from 230 to 222 briefly between Feb and May but it only took one week to gain it all back AND I didn't even go THAT crazy that week. I was drinking beers on the beach, not eating all day, and having a big dinner.

Personally, that sound sucky. If it were me I would have a lengthy period of eating at current maintenance, continue to do the sports and activities I love doing regularly and then have another crack at it in say 3-6 months (unless there is an identified medical reason you have to lose weight right now.)

Lets not even go there.

OP has been given a million suggestions as to how to get to lower body fat and lose additional weight, and all we ever get back is the excuse train.

The advice is mostly "keep waiting." There's no actual tips or anything insightful explaining what additional steps to take. It seems like I do pretty much what every other guy does but just don't get the same results.

Well I did for at least a week LOL. How long is needed? I week? A month? A year? 10 more years? Start dieting again when I'm 60? Because that makes losing weight easier, being old. I need advice on what to do now. Not 5 years from now.

I'm going to an endocrinologist next week but I don't have any of the symptoms beyond the weight thing. Plus thyroid issues are uncommon in men. Doctors never actually give any good weight loss advice so I'm guessing it won't pan out into anything constructive. It's probably either crappy genetics or lame luck from losing so much weight. It's a catch 22. You're supposed to lose the weight to get healthy. But when you lose the weight your metabolism apparently goes in the toilet making it impossible to lose more and in super hard to keep off. You still have to do the same work everyone normal does mind you, but with less energy, less food, and less results. It's a total rip off. Fit people have no idea what a struggle it really is.

and to your bolded part, really? Do you think I always looked like my profile picture?

Try being a 25 year old 210 pound smoker and find out you have stage 2B lymphoma, do six months of chemo, and a month of radiation and then realize that you need to get your rear in shape, and come back and tell me that I don't know what the struggle really is....

I then spent the next three years slowly getting my weight down to around 170ish through cardio/lifting etc, and then got into circuit training for a bit, and then switched over to heavy lifting about four years..

OK so cancer trumps everything. I've got no real comparison for that. I'm talking strictly pound for pound. You see a lot of people who have lost some weight but not enough to have slowed there metabolisms down. "Just eat less!" they say. Sure, easy for them. Easy for you. I've lost three times what you have AND I still have to lose the same amount you did just to be overweight instead of obese. That might actually not too hard if my body behaved the same way yours does. I'm literally starting 300 calories in the hole from the get go at this point though. That's before I take off the 20% to achieve a noticeable loss. That 2100 calories a week are all the treats you no longer get that everyone else is swearing you don't have to give up.

My point is that you were acting like your "struggle" somehow trumps everyone else's, when in fact you do not know what everyone else has gone through to get to the point where they are now.

So for you to somehow say that we don't know "what the struggle is" when you have no clue about said peoples back round and struggle is, is insulting.

Good luck on getting your thyroid tested, and I hope that you figure out your path. But I am done with this thread....

• ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The first poster a couple since have mentioned weekly calorie goals. I use those, and have found them to be really helpful. I aim for the same things as you, quicker weight loss. I've gotten it through paying attention to my weekly goal, and still always logging. If you're gonna go out and have a burger, cheese sticks, and a few beers, then cut back a couple hundred (or whatever) calories the other days of the week. And if it's a last minute thing that you haven't planned for, throw in more exercise and cut back a little the following days.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

this may help:

is it worth it?

Lets not even go there.

You have been told so many times to take a true maintenance break or reverse diet. Ndj told you how in a thread months ago. I remember it because I then reverse dieted for awhile. I had taken several breaks, which I believe helped immensely with preventing weight loss induced metabolism problems, but I hadn't actually reverse dieted. Instead I ate at what MFP told me was maintenence. When I reverse dieted and ramped up my lifting just a bit, I ended up 250 calories above that for my new maintenance number. Rather than wallowing in self pity over your metabolism, do something about it. It's not an immovable force.

If I'm reading your profile right you've only lost 5lbs over the past few months (not a dig, I know your already past your goal it seems like). I want to lose much faster than that. I'm not sure how taking time off to eat more, probably gain more, then inching out 5lbs every 4 months will help me much. I'd like a solution on what to do to start losing weight now. I want the one pound a week all the "tdee-20%" chanters promise.

I've eaten at a caloric deficit for about 8 weeks since December. I've mostly maintained and slightly gained in order to take advantage of growth hormone increases and help shrink excess skin. I've lost several inches from my waist, hips, and thighs and am currently recomping.

I'd love to wake up a month from now having lost 10 pounds of fat but I know it doesn't work that way.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Well your current method of complaining about how much 90 lb women and 25 yo men get to eat seems to be working well for you so just keep on plugging along.

Seriously dude, you seem to thrive on complaining the way most people thrive on oxygen. You can't live without it. And that's fine. Maybe your whole identity is that of the guy who has it the worst and that's what's comfortable to you. But don't expect that wallowing in a garbage attitude is ever going to help you move forward in a positive manner.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Maybe the problem is partially the fact that you look at exercise as a struggle. Maybe you need to find some wicked cardio that you enjoy and doesn't feel like a "struggle" or all kinds of work.

I'm "relatively fit" I suppose, but I certainly haven't always been. I had to drop a good 175 pounds and get myself super healthy in short order so I'd be allowed to give up a kidney. That was a relatively quick drop, the majority of it being in about a 5 month period, but no...it did not tank my metabolism. I can now eat upwards of 3000 to 4000 calories a day. I do run a lot, but my TDEE at my highest weight, even with a fairly low amount of exercise, should have been close to the top end of that amount based on my weight and daily activity... and yet I couldn't eat more than an average of 2000 a day without gaining even more weight. To me, that would suggest my metabolism WAS in the toilet and actually improved with the weight loss.

Now, I don't test my ability to binge with a new found awesome metabolism TOO often, but any time there's a potluck or bbq happening, I pretty much eat to the point of looking like i'm gestating a 7 month food baby and it has yet to affect my weight even though I don't make up for it in any way. I suspect when you cram that much down the ol' gullet and you don't do it regularly, the body doesn't even know where to begin and just drops half of it off at the "pool" the next day without having actually digested it. lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

this may help:

is it worth it?

Lets not even go there.

Then exercise more and poof you're able to get the treats again.

Exactly. But that's my point. The people who don't have to put in the extra time just to break even on TOP of the other exercise they have to do have no idea how hard that is. You're doing twice as much for half the result. All the while everyone else you see is saying how easy it is for them.

Everyone I know who is into health and fitness puts in work...a lot of work. I think your perception of things is skewed. People may say it's "easy"...because maybe they like the work...I personally love it and thrive on it...but yeah, I spend a good 10 hours per week on my fitness most weeks...and that doesn't count just general activity like family recreational activities, maintaining my acre, fixing crap around the house, etc.

Also, I do the things I do for my health, not necessarily the results of losing weight or whatever. I eat "right" 95% of the time because I'm into nutrition and while someone's idea of a "fun" meal might be all the cheeseburgers, mine is a nicely seasoned grilled salmon filet with some brown rice pilaf and sauteed greens...just as an example. Likewise, my I fit for my health...I'm a firm believer in fitness for the sake of fitness.

In a nut shell, I do the things most fit and healthy people I know do...I eat really well and I exercise regularly...I really view maintaining a healthy weight and BF% as a biproduct of living a healthful lifestyle, not necessarily the reason to be good livin'.