Feel frustrated!

Options

Replies

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    CBR500 wrote: »
    Feeling very patronised.. I'm a 43 year old grown woman.. I can count and have good common sense.. Yet apparently I'm completely wrong.. Great.. Will just go to bed feeling like I have failed because I'm clearly stupid! Thanks for that!

I am sorry that you feel the way you do. I would also like to say that in order to maybe change something so you will lose, you might have to put up with constructive criticism,because if everyone says you are doing fine, you still won't lose. After all, you did ask for advise....:o).
    I have gone through your log twice ( I have an MA in Nutrition, just in case you wonder if I am qualified to make any comments at all ) and am impressed by the almost complete absence of anything that is not processed. You almost live of bread, which is basically simple carbs, there is no fruit, no vegetables other than the 128 calories of one kind of vegetables you eat every once in a while, lots of sweets, added sugar and no variation ( especially no complex carbs and protein ) at all. It would take no extra time at all to take a couple of pieces of fruit and some good quality yogurt along to work.
    While for weight loss it is usually ok to eat whatever you want as long as it is at a deficit, I would suggest that since what you are doing is not working, that you do something different.
    Eat something different, don't use your long working hours ( because millions of people work long & difficult hours, many of them here in MFP and they could give you advise ) as an excuse to not eat more varied food, or even a bit more healthy. Try to eat less bread ( because maybe you can't handle so much processed flour ) and more protein ( not only from meat, fish, fowl & dairy, but also from pulses, legumes and vegetables) and beneficial fat, move more, just do something different. And if that does not work, do something different again and if that won't work again, see a doctor.
    Losing weight is a very individual thing and we cannot go by " one rule applies to all ". Find your own way and you will find a solution. The only thing that will not work is continuing what you are doing, because you have already established that it does not work.
    Also are you sure that 1380 calories or thereabouts is enough for you ? Are you getting enough rest, because shift work and not enough rest can interfere with weight loss.
    I am 68 years old, under 5 feet tall, exercise moderately and get 1200. IMO you should get to eat more ( and with that comes more variety )...at least a couple of hundred calories, unless you are really, really short and very inactive.
    Again, good Luck !

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    And I have logged it correctly.. In sick of being called a liar.. I weighed the roll.. The butter and the ham !! I'm sick of you thinking I'm using excuses when all I am acctually doing is telling the truth.. I give up.. This has put me off ever posting again.. Goodbye... Might just give up on life while I'm at it!!!!

Being a martyr does you no good. People here are genuinely trying to help you.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Right.. Okay.. I just wonder if I'm just meant to be fat and just give up :( feeling very lost and low

Don't feel bad and don't give up. I know it can be frustrating, but the first few weeks can be a real learning experience. Between learning how to accurately log and navigating the site/app it can be fairly easy to get lost.

One thing that is important to know is that the database is largely built with entries that are added by other users so entries are not always going to be accurate. Sometimes there are typos, sometimes not all of the macros and micros are entered, and sometimes the manufacturers will change the ingredients or serving size of an item and it changes the Nutritional Information. That is also true with the entries you add by scanning the barcode. The best thing to do is check the information on here with the information on the package.

You also have to make sure that when it comes to certain items you use the entry that is the same with the way you weighed it. For example if you cook chicken and then weigh it, make sure that the chicken entry that you use is for cooked chicken and not raw.

This handy guide goes into more detail on how to find the most accurate food entries along with which ones to avoid:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Take some time to read the announcements on this forum and the Getting Started forum. There is a lot of good information on those to help you learn how to use MFP effectively.
  • TrailBlazinMN
    TrailBlazinMN Posts: 209 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Saying that our methods of accounting for calories negate the principles of consumption vs. energy usage totally misses the point.

The fact that we objectively didn't measure something properly doesn't mean our bodies didn't. The calorie our body measured is still a calorie. The amount of those consumed, regardless of our ability to count or account for them will either add up to a deficit, be in balance, or be in excess of our energy needs/usage and will determine our weight.

Bringing such matters into the discussion when the science isn't settled is NOT helpful.

It's been TWELVE days.

The OP needs to crack down, pre-plan her meals with a better eye on her nutrition and logging accuracy and be more patient.

this...

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-bomb-calorimeter-you-are-not-and.html

What if the OP just ate wholesome foods? Fruits, vegetables, legumes, ...you know, real food. She wouldn't have to log her calories. Why not tell people to get in the habit of eating good, nutrient dense foods so they can actually feel better? Here would be a great start:

foodpyramid-large.png

I wouldn't even follow what's in the fine print or the recommended amounts. Just eat the food (more greens, less processed stuff) like we did before calories and calorie counting were even thought of.

Oh...and this is by far one of the best articles on calorie counting out there:

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/calories-should-you-be-counting

• NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    And I have logged it correctly.. In sick of being called a liar.. I weighed the roll.. The butter and the ham !! I'm sick of you thinking I'm using excuses when all I am acctually doing is telling the truth.. I give up.. This has put me off ever posting again.. Goodbye... Might just give up on life while I'm at it!!!!

No-one is calling you a liar....i'm not saying that you are most definitely not logging it properly, i'm just saying that make sure you are as there have been inconsistencies in your logging before, as inaccurate logging is one of the main reasons people fail to lose weight. I believe that you have a hectic job, i believe that you are having to eat what is left in your house as you have little money. I just don't believe they are valid excuses as to why you are not losing weight.

Don't worry OP, you can continue with the thread without me, and see what answers everyone else gets you. I wish you all the best, but i am done trying to help because until you accept responsibility and help yourself, there is nothing anyone can say that will make a difference.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Saying that our methods of accounting for calories negate the principles of consumption vs. energy usage totally misses the point.

The fact that we objectively didn't measure something properly doesn't mean our bodies didn't. The calorie our body measured is still a calorie. The amount of those consumed, regardless of our ability to count or account for them will either add up to a deficit, be in balance, or be in excess of our energy needs/usage and will determine our weight.

Bringing such matters into the discussion when the science isn't settled is NOT helpful.

It's been TWELVE days.

The OP needs to crack down, pre-plan her meals with a better eye on her nutrition and logging accuracy and be more patient.

this...

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-bomb-calorimeter-you-are-not-and.html

What if the OP just ate wholesome foods? Fruits, vegetables, legumes, ...you know, real food. She wouldn't have to log her calories. Why not tell people to get in the habit of eating good, nutrient dense foods so they can actually feel better? Here would be a great start:

foodpyramid-large.png

I wouldn't even follow what's in the fine print or the recommended amounts. Just eat the food (more greens, less processed stuff) like we did before calories and calorie counting were even thought of.

Oh...and this is by far one of the best articles on calorie counting out there:

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/calories-should-you-be-counting

You are derailing this thread.

If you want to argue against calorie counting on a calorie counting website, start your own thread. This is not helping the OP.

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Well sure, whole, nutrient rich food is the best choice. But you can still gain weight or fail to lose if you eat more of it than you burn. And this handy pyramid, where is chicken, turkey, and pork? And why fat-free dairy? And why should half the veggies be raw? None of that is necessary.

I think the overall message of this thread is that the OP may not be measuring correctly. She doesn't seem to be eating enough whole foods, particularly veggies and fruit, and that she eat a lot of processed food. Perhaps if she is able to correct those things and be patient, she might see some results.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

No one is calling you a liar. They're just curious how when you're logging things like 5 slices of ham and 1 roll you are weighing things. I weigh and log everything in grams and if you're weighing everything as you say then surely it makes sense to just log the amount you weighed? Where's the logic in cutting up a roll until it weighs exactly what the packet says a roll should? Especially if you're short of cash? Just seems a waste to me.

Then there are things like 5g of butter. I spread my butter thinly and generally use about 7g each time (this is on a rice cake as I can't eat bread). I weigh the rice cake, spread the butter then weigh it again to see how much butter I used. Your diary entries just don't look like you're being that diligent with your logging so naturally people are telling you to tighten it up. Please don't take it so personally - they're just trying to help.

I wish you luck with your weight loss journey. :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

It's frustrating to feel like you're trying, but something has to give at some point on one side of all of this, don't you agree?

You are being given good advice, it's just not advice you want to hear. It's likely that you are just consuming too much sodium at this point, and maybe combined with food choice, errors in labeling, and just starting, things aren't happening yet on the scale.

So where does that leave you?

Moving forward, can you implement a plan to make better choices? Add more nutrient dense foods to your diet which you prepare yourself? More produce?

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Calm down with the hysterics. Log your food. Be patient. And I noticed other people mentioned that it's been only 12 days but you choose to focus on the negative. Like you're just looking for a chance to be defensive - poor you poor you. Relax and keep at it.
  • TrailBlazinMN
    TrailBlazinMN Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have seen dramatic changes in people in just 7 days when they do a massive overhaul of their diet. This lady has 50 pounds to lose, not 5. If someone has 50 pounds to lose, they should be able to lose weight weight within 12 days...whether it's actual fat or water weight.

Bottom line: Because of incorrect labeling, actual calories consumed by our bodies, laboratory errors, and differences in food quality and preparation, calorie counts recorded on food labels and websites – even those within the USDA’s nutrient databases – can be off by a lot..enough to make a huge difference if it was all about calories in vs. calories out. Even if you’re the world’s best calorie counter, the math just doesn’t add up across the boards. There is more to it than just counting calories.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    I have seen dramatic changes in people in just 7 days when they do a massive overhaul of their diet. This lady has 50 pounds to lose, not 5. If someone has 50 pounds to lose, they should be able to lose weight weight within 12 days...whether it's actual fat or water weight.

Bottom line: Because of incorrect labeling, actual calories consumed by our bodies, laboratory errors, and differences in food quality and preparation, calorie counts recorded on food labels and websites – even those within the USDA’s nutrient databases – can be off by a lot..enough to make a huge difference if it was all about calories in vs. calories out. Even if you’re the world’s best calorie counter, the math just doesn’t add up across the boards. There is more to it than just counting calories.

Exactly. People see this biggest loser type crazy weight loss and think if they're not dropping massive lbs in their first week, they must be doing something wrong. Just with a single cycle women report varying degrees of weight gain. Depending on where you are when you do said diet overhaul, it could appear you're dropping nothing, and then Several weeks later, whoosh. To me it doesn't really matter how many lbs you have to lose. Do some basic checks and then keep at it. If you don't have enough patience to hang in there for four to six weeks, then geez, this is gonna be extremely tough I tell ya

• vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi.

I work 12-15 hour shifts, have periods in which money is incredibly tight, and more obligations than I seem to have time for. Here are some of my favorite things that I've learned that help counter some of the anger that comes from the scales not budging:

1.) Learn patience and trust your efforts. We are women over 30. There are several things that could potentially be happening here that a food scale or one extra biscuit wouldn't help nor hinder. Stress, water intake, food sensitivities... there are so many things that could cause the scale to not budge. The only thing we can do is make the best decisions we can, when we can, and continue to strive to get better. What you're doing is not working right now, but maybe after exchanging some of the boxed things with fruit and veg for awhile you'll see it just fall off. Learn from these adjustments in your strategy and just keep going. You can't fail if you continue to listen to your body and feed it right.

I only lose weight when I eat mass amounts of raw veggies. I don't know why, I just know I have to make fresh produce a priority in my budget and my shopping planning. Once I figured that out, it's not so scary anymore. That works for me, you'll find your own personal go-to foods that work for you, just keep trying!

2.) Find a supportive network. YOU ARE DOING GREAT AND I BELIEVE IN YOU. << Find more people that are willing to yell that at you. I created a Twitter account full of people with similar goals, check out some of the #wycwyc (What You Can, When You Can) discussions that happen daily. I love MFP. I've met some of the most helpful and knowledgeable folks on here. I rarely hit the forums though unless I see someone in my newsfeed that needs a "cheer me up." Why? Because some people are more interested in guessing the "right" answer than supporting the person with the real issue. Truth is, there is no right answer, no magic bean that will make you lose 10lbs in 2 weeks. You need to figure out what your body wants and feed it more of that. Right now, you need some positivity and more of the fresh goodstuffs you picked up at the Tesco. You're on the right track. You got this!

3.) Save up a "pantry fund," clean out a cupboard with the intent of filling it with easy, cheap, healthy foods. Mine has dried lentils, chick peas, black beans, black eyed peas, brown rice, quinoa, etc. to help fill in those dietary gaps when money is tight. On the same note, I do not recall if the UK has this as well (been awhile since I lived there) but signing up for a farm share which guarantees a bushel of fresh veg each week also helps me greatly. It's prepaid at the beginning of the season, so no matter what monetary pitfalls happen I still have fresh greens coming each week.

4.) Dedicate time each week to pre-make at least 1 meal per day. I do this twice a week, I'll cook big batches of soup, pre-cut veggies for snacks, and package them up so they are easily grabbed to go. Planning is key to success, especially with the time constraints we are under!

You're not alone!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I find it interesting that while there are several people, myself included, who have been entirely supportive, you are choosing to focus on the people who make you feel invalidated.

My package lunch meat always weighs the same in ounces and I too can get butter to come out the to the same amount of grams each time, so I wouldn't find posts about not logging butter correctly useful and move on to something I did find useful.

How'd your shopping trip go?

I hear that you are active during the day, and that's great. But since you sound depressed, I recommend also exercising to the point where the happy hormones kick in. I realize at this point you will probably have to do this on your days off since at the moment you don't have much energy for anything else on your work days.

You don't need to run a marathon to get a runner's high. I don't know whether I'm getting an endorphin or endocannabinoids rush or something else, so just call this "happy hormones." I get this after 30 - 60 minutes of yoga, and yesterday, during my first swim of the year, which was quite challenging, it kicked in after only 15 minutes.

• CBR500
    CBR500 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    No it's not poor. Me.. Just because to you it's looks like in not really weighing things does not mean I'm not.. I do weigh 5 g of butter.. I do weigh the gap and take if a bit from one slice of its over.. Just because I leave the entry as 5 slices does not mean I did not weigh it.. As I have said before I have been shopping and got fruit and vegetables and some meat and fish.. Yes I did get a bag of frozen mixed vegetables too as they are cheaper and I'm on limited funds.. But I got fresh veg to use in a stew with less than 5% fat mince.. This will make 6 portions of food for me which I can freeze and use when I need too.. I will weigh everything I put in it and the weigh it into 6 equal portions then divide the total calories by 6.. It might be slightly off but it's the best I can do when batch cooking.. Just because some of you think it looks like I'm doing it wrong does not make you right.. Just because you don't believe I would cut of bread to make it weigh the right amount does not mean I didn't acctually dO that...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    No it's not poor. Me.. Just because to you it's looks like in not really weighing things does not mean I'm not.. I do weigh 5 g of butter.. I do weigh the gap and take if a bit from one slice of its over.. Just because I leave the entry as 5 slices does not mean I did not weigh it.. As I have said before I have been shopping and got fruit and vegetables and some meat and fish.. Yes I did get a bag of frozen mixed vegetables too as they are cheaper and I'm on limited funds.. But I got fresh veg to use in a stew with less than 5% fat mince.. This will make 6 portions of food for me which I can freeze and use when I need too.. I will weigh everything I put in it and the weigh it into 6 equal portions then divide the total calories by 6.. It might be slightly off but it's the best I can do when batch cooking.. Just because some of you think it looks like I'm doing it wrong does not make you right.. Just because you don't believe I would cut of bread to make it weigh the right amount does not mean I didn't acctually dO that...

I believe your logging is definitely enough to get you started. I prefer to use whichever entry comes up when I barcode scan and do the math. My diary won't show grams all the time but it's still accurately weighed and logged. It's just a preference. Since you've verified that you're logging well enough, what you should do is WAIT. Every body is different and 12 days may not be enough for some to see the scale move. Go back and read the posts from all the people who said its only been twelve days, just hang in there and be patient for the results to come.

And honestly, if as a result of the feedback from the thread you're buying some whole foods - isn't that a good thing, too?

Focus on the positive and learning opportunity. Keep at it. You'll do great!
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

I was just trying to explain why people were questioning you, and I thought you might find it easier to just log things in grams rather than trim things down to a preset size. I hope I didn't upset you. The recipe builder on here is a really useful tool too!

If you're confident your logging is correct then keep eating at a deficit and the scales will shift eventually.

Again, good luck!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

If we are playing that game...

Dude, not playing a game. Simply stating a fact. When it comes to the human body and research (or the human mind and research), two studies do not indicate a need for change in current thought. And, after reading the NYT article and the study, I'm not sure the Harvard study means what you think it means. But for now, instead of helping OP, who is really struggling, you're adding information that is serving to further confuse her. There are a lot of people here who have lost focusing on CICO. There's definitely no reason to throw that "out the window."
    It's just really sad that many people throw "quality over quantity" out the door and think it's all about calories in vs. calories out. Oh well. People thought the world was flat at one point.

It seems your quote may not have fully captured the encapsulation the NYT did of the study. Like this statement, which follows the line you quoted, "In addition to diet, it has important things to say about exercise, sleep, television watching, smoking and alcohol intake." People who ate nuts and nut butters generally tended to lose weight, the study supposed it was because these foods helped control hunger. But over-eating them, if it led to a caloric surplus, would still cause weight gain. The study has its limitations, especially on the circumstances under which the foods most found to cause weight gain and the mentality around consuming them. That, along with the "other influences" is why the researchers recommend further research. And a lot of the data points from these instruments have been expanded upon with additional studies since this one came out (pages and pages of articles). Especially as they relate to diabetes and cardiovascular disease. But not the "all calories are not created equal" (which isn't the point I took away from this article/study). If this is the answer to solving obesity, I'd think there would be tons more new research coming out. Two limited studies are not tons more research. Maybe it's in the works.

The same point you tried to make by pulling in those articles, can be accomplished by suggesting that OP change up her macros, which is what I did, based on what worked for me. Doesn't mean it will work for her, but it's something for her to consider. And it doesn't mean that a calorie is not a calorie. I do have diagnosed metabolic issues that influence how my body works.

***OP, hang in there and keep at it. It takes a LOT of time and effort to make lasting change. We've all been stuck, sometimes for months or even years. It's your life and your health--you owe it to yourself to keep at it! :smiley:
  • rajnigandha21
    rajnigandha21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Right.. Okay.. I just wonder if I'm just meant to be fat and just give up :( feeling very lost and low

Giving up is how you get bigger (been there, done that).

I would start over. Get on the computer and check every single entry you use. Try to prepare your own food from scratch - do a bulk cook on a weekend perhaps - instead of relying on lots of packaged food that comes with excess salt/unnecessary additives etc.

Be consistent and accurate with your logging and measuring/eating. Give it time! Stress less - worrying isn't going to help you.

This. Don't give up. I do not eat back my work out calories for adjusting any unseen error most of the time. Give some more time to your body as it is adjusting to the new routine.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Try tweaking your macros for a month and see how that works for you. Mine are 35% carb, 35% protein, 30% fat which works well for me. Usually. :smiley:

These macros worked for me as well . Don't give up :) Weighing and logging are a pain, but you will get that tightened up after a couple more weeks. Good luck <3