Watching TV...and eating "clean"

Replies

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    So, in comparison, are you saying--good screen time is equivalent to good food, and bad screen time is equivalent to bad food?

It's all in the perception. :)

It's all in the perception, yes, and too much screen time is bad, period, no matter how "good" it is. :)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Is this a thing in the media? I can't believe they'd be encouraging anyone to watch less TV, ever. Are they?

Who is fighting about "screen time"?

No one's fighting it. It's extremely well-documented that it's bad to have too much. Just start googling studies on screen time. :)
  • alexsalcido29
    alexsalcido29 Posts: 1 Member
    The people who use this site probably spend more time exercising than they do watching TV, and they enjoy fitness more than being a couch potato.

I see the point you are trying to make. I think.

But you definitely just wasted a good 3 minutes of my life.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    The people who use this site probably spend more time exercising than they do watching TV, and they enjoy fitness more than being a couch potato.

I see the point you are trying to make. I think.

But you definitely just wasted a good 3 minutes of my life.

Love you, too.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    So, in comparison, are you saying--good screen time is equivalent to good food, and bad screen time is equivalent to bad food?

It's all in the perception. :)

It's all in the perception, yes, and too much screen time is bad, period, no matter how "good" it is. :)

Well, too much of anything can lead to problems.

Define too much screen time.....and what does it have to do with weight loss? :)
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    What about arguing about the same thing every day over and over on an Internet forum? Is that healthy, or better done in moderation? ;)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Eudoxy wrote: »
    What about arguing about the same thing every day over and over on an Internet forum? Is that healthy, or better done in moderation? ;)

ahahaha
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Unicorns, clean food, and screen time causing autism are very similar in that they are all mythical.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    It's extremely well-documented that it's bad to have too much.

That's true for absolutely everything.

Including water and oxygen.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    edited June 2015
    I get what you are saying OP but just as in food choices people will have different opinions.

What constitutes "good" screen time for one will be "bad" for another. How much screen time will vary from person to person.

As adults we make our own choices about screen time...food...drink...etc...etc.

I am very much in favor of letting adults pick and choose their own screen time...and food.

What bothers me more than anything...I understood your post.

Maybe...I have had too much screen time tonight.

ETA...I admit though when I read your title I thought you meant eating clean while watching tv.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Ok, I think I get it.

I like shows with layers and deeper meanings, but not every show has to be Buffy.

TV is a distraction, not part of our health. You like what you like and one show isn't better for everyone than another.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited June 2015
    Ok, I think I get it.

I like shows with layers and deeper meanings, but not every show has to be Buffy.

TV is a distraction, not part of our health. You like what you like and one show isn't better for everyone than another.

The only real comparison between TV and food would be matters of taste.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited June 2015
    Watching TV can have consequences regardless of the content you watch. (I don't have an opinion on this, just sorting OP's comment). You aren't going to negate the effects of too much screen time by just watching David Attenborough or rather, intellectually superior programs over intellectually inferior programs like Bold and the Beautiful.

Ergo, similarly with diet. You aren't going to negate the effects of too much food (ie too much "screen time") simply by eating what you believe to be superior clean foods (ie David Attenborough). And you aren't necessarily going to be healthier than the next person who eats from a larger pool of foods (Bold and Beautiful plus David Attenborough lol). Both can overeat (ie screen time too much) both need to moderate their intake to lose weight regardless of their perception of quality of foods (or analogy...quality of programs) for weight loss to happen.

In short...regardless of whether or not it's B&B or David, you can have too much screen time...

Regardless of whether or not its clean eating or otherwise, you can still eat too much of anything and not lose weight.

Amirite? :smile:

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    What does any of this have to do with "General Diet and Weight Loss Help?"
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Analogy...
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    This is funny for me

My main screen time is in the morning

Soon I will get out of bed, put on coffee, get my dark chocolate fix, and do an hour on the treadmill

I wake up and relax walking at 3 mph. TV will be on music videos or surfing channels.

I quit evening TV snacking. I blindly added too many calories grazing. I used to polish off a bag of Doritos and cheese dip. An easy 1500 calories.

Just no....
  • PneumaVision
    PneumaVision Posts: 44 Member
    Technology has made it much easier to live in a fantasy world, putting a fantasy social media profile out there, charging around heroically in a video game universe collecting magical implements or slaying bad guys, watching the fantasy TV news or even less real 'reality programs', and in general cultivating a mental life alienated from anything authentic or genuine. So at last the daydream life of Walter Mitty has been automated, packaged and commodified, and made available to everyone 24/7 from a variety of convenient devices. When in human history has an entire population needed to be passively entertained for one-third of its waking hours? The teaching about moderation is not "everything in moderation." Rather, it is that we should enjoy good things in moderation while abstaining from those things which are harmful.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Not stirring the pot. Had a thought that maybe would help people understand.

A lot of people get interested in this idea of the BEST MOST PERFECT DIET EVER. Let's ignore the details--half the time they're contradictory, anyway. Instead, let's talk about screen time and certain foods.

Like eating immoderately, too much screen time has been linked to a TON of bad things. Sedentary behavior, bad grades, sleep disturbance--even autism (not kidding--it's one of the more credible CAUSATIVE links, actually) and ADHD.

To say, I'm going to eat clean is a lot like saying I'm not going to have any bad screen time.

First, there's the definition of "bad." Which screen time is good? Which is bad?

Okay, so you can argue that some shows on the Discovery Channel--some--might be a bit better for you intellectually than most shows on MTV. And of course you need to do your work on your computer. So video games on your PC aren't as important or "good" as your 9 to 5.

But the fact is...if you sit and watch nothing but David Attenborough documentaries or do nothing but work, you're still going to get the effects of too much screen time. It will still be bad.

And there's no reason to not play a first-person shooter for a couple of hours a couple of times a week or to bond over a sports game or to watch the trashiest reality TV show ever just to unwind if it's not part of a 5-hour daily marathon of TV viewing.

Sure, there are people who watch little to no TV. But there lives are not necessarily better or healthier than people who watch a moderate amount of TV or have other screen time, up to and including "junk" TV. And once you start labeling some screen time as junk and other screen time as good, you are going to have a huge fight on your hands no matter what. The video game players will yell about reflexes and camaraderie. The cinephiles will shout about art. Writers will lecture you sternly about good story-telling. And it will go on and on and on.

Because what actually matters at the end of the day, more than the content of the screens, is that it's done in moderation. That's more important than anything else.

I hope this starts making SOME sense!

How exactly does television cause autism when signs of autism can be seen in 2mo babies?

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/actearly/index.html?mobile=nocontent

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v504/n7480/full/nature12715.html
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Not stirring the pot. Had a thought that maybe would help people understand.

A lot of people get interested in this idea of the BEST MOST PERFECT DIET EVER. Let's ignore the details--half the time they're contradictory, anyway. Instead, let's talk about screen time and certain foods.

Like eating immoderately, too much screen time has been linked to a TON of bad things. Sedentary behavior, bad grades, sleep disturbance--even autism (not kidding--it's one of the more credible CAUSATIVE links, actually) and ADHD.

To say, I'm going to eat clean is a lot like saying I'm not going to have any bad screen time.

First, there's the definition of "bad." Which screen time is good? Which is bad?

Okay, so you can argue that some shows on the Discovery Channel--some--might be a bit better for you intellectually than most shows on MTV. And of course you need to do your work on your computer. So video games on your PC aren't as important or "good" as your 9 to 5.

But the fact is...if you sit and watch nothing but David Attenborough documentaries or do nothing but work, you're still going to get the effects of too much screen time. It will still be bad.

And there's no reason to not play a first-person shooter for a couple of hours a couple of times a week or to bond over a sports game or to watch the trashiest reality TV show ever just to unwind if it's not part of a 5-hour daily marathon of TV viewing.

Sure, there are people who watch little to no TV. But there lives are not necessarily better or healthier than people who watch a moderate amount of TV or have other screen time, up to and including "junk" TV. And once you start labeling some screen time as junk and other screen time as good, you are going to have a huge fight on your hands no matter what. The video game players will yell about reflexes and camaraderie. The cinephiles will shout about art. Writers will lecture you sternly about good story-telling. And it will go on and on and on.

Because what actually matters at the end of the day, more than the content of the screens, is that it's done in moderation. That's more important than anything else.

I hope this starts making SOME sense!

How exactly does television cause autism when signs of autism can be seen in 2mo babies?

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/actearly/index.html?mobile=nocontent

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v504/n7480/full/nature12715.html

Mama must have watched too much tv while baby was in utero. -_- ;)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    This is funny for me

My main screen time is in the morning

Soon I will get out of bed, put on coffee, get my dark chocolate fix, and do an hour on the treadmill

I wake up and relax walking at 3 mph. TV will be on music videos or surfing channels.

I quit evening TV snacking. I blindly added too many calories grazing. I used to polish off a bag of Doritos and cheese dip. An easy 1500 calories.

Just no....

Dark chocolate and coffee for breakfast sounds amazing right now. Thanks for the idea!