Watching TV...and eating "clean"

Options

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Not stirring the pot. Had a thought that maybe would help people understand.

A lot of people get interested in this idea of the BEST MOST PERFECT DIET EVER. Let's ignore the details--half the time they're contradictory, anyway. Instead, let's talk about screen time and certain foods.

Like eating immoderately, too much screen time has been linked to a TON of bad things. Sedentary behavior, bad grades, sleep disturbance--even autism (not kidding--it's one of the more credible CAUSATIVE links, actually) and ADHD.

To say, I'm going to eat clean is a lot like saying I'm not going to have any bad screen time.

First, there's the definition of "bad." Which screen time is good? Which is bad?

Okay, so you can argue that some shows on the Discovery Channel--some--might be a bit better for you intellectually than most shows on MTV. And of course you need to do your work on your computer. So video games on your PC aren't as important or "good" as your 9 to 5.

But the fact is...if you sit and watch nothing but David Attenborough documentaries or do nothing but work, you're still going to get the effects of too much screen time. It will still be bad.

And there's no reason to not play a first-person shooter for a couple of hours a couple of times a week or to bond over a sports game or to watch the trashiest reality TV show ever just to unwind if it's not part of a 5-hour daily marathon of TV viewing.

Sure, there are people who watch little to no TV. But there lives are not necessarily better or healthier than people who watch a moderate amount of TV or have other screen time, up to and including "junk" TV. And once you start labeling some screen time as junk and other screen time as good, you are going to have a huge fight on your hands no matter what. The video game players will yell about reflexes and camaraderie. The cinephiles will shout about art. Writers will lecture you sternly about good story-telling. And it will go on and on and on.

Because what actually matters at the end of the day, more than the content of the screens, is that it's done in moderation. That's more important than anything else.

I hope this starts making SOME sense!

How exactly does television cause autism when signs of autism can be seen in 2mo babies?

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/actearly/index.html?mobile=nocontent

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v504/n7480/full/nature12715.html

Mama must have watched too much tv while baby was in utero. -_- ;)

Whew! Glad we cleared that up. Now I can sue Dick Wolf for all those L&O marathons.

tumblr_n2jzfsRrV21tvyxvwo1_500.gif
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

A lot of people get interested in this idea of the BEST MOST PERFECT DIET EVER. Let's ignore the details--half the time they're contradictory, anyway. Instead, let's talk about screen time and certain foods.

Like eating immoderately, too much screen time has been linked to a TON of bad things. Sedentary behavior, bad grades, sleep disturbance--even autism (not kidding--it's one of the more credible CAUSATIVE links, actually) and ADHD.

To say, I'm going to eat clean is a lot like saying I'm not going to have any bad screen time.

First, there's the definition of "bad." Which screen time is good? Which is bad?

Okay, so you can argue that some shows on the Discovery Channel--some--might be a bit better for you intellectually than most shows on MTV. And of course you need to do your work on your computer. So video games on your PC aren't as important or "good" as your 9 to 5.

But the fact is...if you sit and watch nothing but David Attenborough documentaries or do nothing but work, you're still going to get the effects of too much screen time. It will still be bad.

And there's no reason to not play a first-person shooter for a couple of hours a couple of times a week or to bond over a sports game or to watch the trashiest reality TV show ever just to unwind if it's not part of a 5-hour daily marathon of TV viewing.

Sure, there are people who watch little to no TV. But there lives are not necessarily better or healthier than people who watch a moderate amount of TV or have other screen time, up to and including "junk" TV. And once you start labeling some screen time as junk and other screen time as good, you are going to have a huge fight on your hands no matter what. The video game players will yell about reflexes and camaraderie. The cinephiles will shout about art. Writers will lecture you sternly about good story-telling. And it will go on and on and on.

Because what actually matters at the end of the day, more than the content of the screens, is that it's done in moderation. That's more important than anything else.

How exactly does television cause autism when signs of autism can be seen in 2mo babies?

You can't see it, but imma givin you the side-eye
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

Sorry, my sarcasm was broken this morning. 4 cups of coffee and binge watching Sabrina the Teenage Witch with my daughter have fixed me right up. Carry on.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options

Sorry, my sarcasm was broken this morning. 4 cups of coffee and binge watching Sabrina the Teenage Witch with my daughter have fixed me right up. Carry on.

Oh, no worries, I knew you were being silly, my sarcasm is busted too!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    So, what is the TV equivalent of "eating dirty"?
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Jersey Shore or anything with a Kardashian.
  • bpetrosky
    Options

ohhhh...the TOXINS!!!! Can the chemicals in their hair products be transmitted electronically??? ;)
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options

ohhhh...the TOXINS!!!! Can the chemicals in their hair products be transmitted electronically??? ;)

I dunno, I'm already from NJ so I'm probably doomed to big hair either way. If keep back a few feet just to be safe though.
  • bpetrosky
    Options

I dunno, I'm already from NJ so I'm probably doomed to big hair either way. If keep back a few feet just to be safe though.

I'm sure the Kardashians contain enough silicone to kill a mortal human.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options

Im from Jersey too so yes we're doomed from the start to have big hair and extreme tans. Lol !! Maybe we need a special detox or cleanse to take care of this issue! :smile: lol
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    Hmmm...a Jersey Shore Cleanse....I think I could market that. ;)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

trumanshow.gif

I'm currently eating lunch and watching a "My Cat From Hell" marathon. Am I going to die?
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    Hmmm...a Jersey Shore Cleanse....I think I could market that. ;)

A million dollar idea !! Lol people think that show is just an isolated group of idiot kids but dont realize that there's tons of others just like that here. Living here, Im at the epicenter of spray tanned drunks wearing neon clothes !
  • zoeysasha37
    Options

trumanshow.gif

I'm currently eating lunch and watching a "My Cat From Hell" marathon. Am I going to die?

Prolly..maybe the op can enlighten you as to what other shows will be better for ya health .
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    Now I'm wondering what would happen if Ron Jeremy co-hosted a show with Guy Fieri on the Food Network.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Now I'm wondering what would happen if Ron Jeremy co-hosted a show with Guy Fieri on the Food Network.

Dear god.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options

It'd be pretty awesome
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options

About Jersey Diners. *kitten* black hole
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options

About Jersey Diners. *kitten* black hole

Really? I can't say *kitten*? Fine. DB black hole
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Excuse me, but what are you talking about ?