Should I log this as exercise?

Options

Replies

• blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    rbiss wrote: »
    You need to track meals and exercise. Without both, it's not really helpful.

I agree. Tracking both is the best way to go. Even if you want to do a cheat day or meal or whatnot, I think, at least personally, it's best to know what I'm consuming so at least I can have that knowledge. The more you know.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    My activity level is set at Sedentary so I do log when I'm active, which would definitely include the activities you described.

I would have guestimated for the buffet as well.

(I don't eat back all my exercise calories.)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,879 Member
    Options
    I am a bit confused with all this tracking vs not tracking and this "leisure vs exercise".

Your body doesn't really care if you spent calories because you were exercising as opposed to leisuring. It also doesn't care if you eat more calories because you just like snickers bars, or if you're eating them because you don't want to obsess about a meal once a week.

Your weight will reflect both your overall intake and your overall expenditure regardless of whether you chose to track the values, or not (and whether you succeed in doing so!)

Calorie counting is inherently not precise (errors in counting, errors in the database values, random changes in the nutritional value of the food)--some would argue up to 20%. Thankfully errors often cancel one another out.

Exercise counting is inherently not precise (perceived exertion doesn't match reality, you don't account for your rest periods, BMR is already included in the burn you see, your muscles are/aren't adapted to the particular exercise, and much more).

So why would you deliberately try to introduce MORE variation to the whole endeavor by picking and choosing WHAT you count?

Counting your exercise doesn't obligate you to eat back the calories. Counting your food doesn't prohibit you from going over your goal.

MFP's caloric allotment already includes your targeted deficit. If you keep to the deficit you claimed you were going to follow, you should be eating back your real/true exercise calories. "I never eat exercise calories back" equals "I randomly eat less to speed up my weight loss"

It should be fairly easy for most people who have been using MFP for a few months to go back and calculate a correspondence between their purported deficit and their actual weight loss. And to even figure out their actual TDEE, if they so chose. Assuming they've been tracking...
  • itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You can if you wish, but no real point without logging your meal as well.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    ProjectSYD wrote: »
    I also don't eat the calories I burn from exorcising.

I hear that's quite taxing, so the burn rate should be pretty good.

In all seriousness, I would leave well enough alone. The exercise hopefully negates the buffet. And, if not, it's only one weekend. ;)

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

In all seriousness, I would leave well enough alone. The exercise hopefully negates the buffet. And, if not, it's only one weekend. ;)

tumblr_lr1bjs5MV81r0ojhto1_400.gif
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    The calorie burns you are logging look massively over-inflated to me

You can cheat the numbers..but not your body ...it has no idea what numbers you've logged just what you put in and burn

• Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat your exercise calories back anyway, why all the angst about logging or not? Log it, don't log it, doesn't matter. It's obvious you really want to so go for it...you body will tell you if what you are doing is working.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why would you not track the meal?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Amerielle wrote: »
    If you don't eat your exercise calories back anyway, why all the angst about logging or not? Log it, don't log it, doesn't matter. It's obvious you really want to so go for it...you body will tell you if what you are doing is working.

I dunno I guess I wanted to hear people's opinions on logging something like that - or should I not because it's not accurate. I always input less than time in exercise for these sorts of things and always input more for foods I'm unsure of (like if I eat out)
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Ive lost over 60lbs in the past but I found it was very emotionally stressful - partially because I sacrificed so much. I've planned to allow myself to go out once a week with the lady friend on our date night and to not worry about calories. I don't feel guilty about it. I'm just starting to partake in more physical activities. In the past I've used my pool once or twice a year. I've used it almost every sunny day this past 3 weeks.

I think they picked up on your spelling error..

Exorcising, as in exorcising a demon. This would be rather emotionally and physically taxing.

AND

Exercising , as in exercise :wink:

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

I dunno I guess I wanted to hear people's opinions on logging something like that - or should I not because it's not accurate. I always input less than time in exercise for these sorts of things and always input more for foods I'm unsure of (like if I eat out)

Ive lost over 60lbs in the past but I found it was very emotionally stressful - partially because I sacrificed so much. I've planned to allow myself to go out once a week with the lady friend on our date night and to not worry about calories. I don't feel guilty about it. I'm just starting to partake in more physical activities. In the past I've used my pool once or twice a year. I've used it almost every sunny day this past 3 weeks.

If you're going to ignore calories one day a week, I can only suggest that you give up the all you can eat buffets. Your body is logging it all whether you do or not, and you could easily surpass your deficit and exercise calories.
  • Sued0nim
    edited June 2015
    Options

Look I'm going to be blunt here

Fix your logging

You are fairly overweight so it's probably going to work at the moment ...but in the long term it's not ...I do wonder how your weight loss is going ...

I'm not sure about your food but I highly doubt that your logging is accurate

Your exercise logging is ridiculous .,,no way are you burning what you think and you are eating back

Yesterday over 890 calories for 45 mins leisurely swimming...what?

And you ate back 540 of them

You logged very little food and a decent calorie hit of alcohol

The day before you logged one meal for 488 calories and logged your beer run for 697 calories ..you didn't even slam in an estimate for the eat all you can buffet which could have been 3000 calories easily

20 mins of leisurely cycling or elliptical is not a 300 calories burn

How long have you been doing this? Have you lost anything?

If you start to wonder to yourself why it isn't working for you ...the answer is there in your face...you aren't doing it right

Fix that

Commit properly

Do it properly

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    If I don't track the meal, there isn't much point in tracking the exercise either.

This. It's time to move on and start logging a new day.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Look I'm going to be blunt here

Fix your logging

You are fairly overweight so it's probably going to work at the moment ...but in the long term it's not ...I do wonder how your weight loss is going ...

I'm not sure about your food but I highly doubt that your logging is accurate

Your exercise logging is ridiculous .,,no way are you burning what you think and you are eating back

Yesterday over 890 calories for 45 mins leisurely swimming...what?

And you ate back 540 of them

You logged very little food and a decent calorie hit of alcohol

The day before you logged one meal for 488 calories and logged your beer run for 697 calories ..you didn't even slam in an estimate for the eat all you can buffet which could have been 3000 calories easily

20 mins of leisurely cycling or elliptical is not a 300 calories burn

How long have you been doing this? Have you lost anything?

If you start to wonder to yourself why it isn't working for you ...the answer is there in your face...you aren't doing it right

Fix that

Commit properly

Do it properly

In the past I've lost 60 lbs in around 4 months doing this. Prior to being my weight now I was 210 and dropped to 155, we even shot a documentary about weight loss there's a short video online with me at my smallest. I was playing football and swimming laps in the pool, I logged it as leisurely, I was in the pool for 6-7 hours yesterday, not fourth five minutes. I logged more alcohol than I actually drank as well, I also didn't eat a 12 inch sub I just marked it as 12+ some because I don't think mfp takes into consideration the lettuce and ranch sauce that was added to the sub. Also I'm biking at around 18mph and even faster on the elliptical, I just put it as leisurely because I'm underestimating my calories lost. If you'd take time to read the posts you'd have already known that. I weighed myself today at 217 which is 14 lbs lost in 3 weeks. So I guess it's working for now. Obviously some of that weight is water weight but maybe you need to seriously rethink your strategy to weightless before judging others.

Also, my dad and I have both lost a lot of weight loggig the way I log, he was able I keep it off, I gained back because I was working 18 hour day while i was in college and binge eaton when ever I had a chance I eat. I also lost 2 inches on my waist since I started

Well you will do whatever you want and good luck with that

My strategy got me to maintenance and is keeping me here ..no yo-yo, accurate as possible data so I can understand how my body works and make educated decisions ...I'm a datageek so simply do not understand why others take the GIGO route

This discussion has been closed.