Trying to get back in gear

Options
MusicalMelanie11
MusicalMelanie11 Posts: 71 Member
edited June 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hi all,

I'm 5"3', 127-128 pounds, and my daily calorie allowance is 1,200. I've used the app off and on for a few years, and I decided it was finally time to pick it back up. When I started almost a month ago, I weighed 130 pounds and my waist measured 30 inches--the biggest I've ever been, and what made me realize I need to start watching what I eat again!

A couple of years ago, I counted calories in conjunction with the C25K program and got into great shape, so I decided to do the same thing again, this means I'm jogging a little bit three days a week.

Anywho, the first week and a half was a dream! My waist shrunk down to 28.5 inches and I got down to 128 pounds. (I'm starting to think this might have just been water weight, because it's just ridiculous to expect results like that.) But, it caught me off guard and made me really excited! So I've kept on with it, weighing in and measuring my waist every morning. Since then, my weight keeps fluctuating between 126.5 and 128.5, and my waistline has not budged.

I am being quite strict and very careful in my measurements, and I am just looking for a little encouragement! I care more about losing inches than pounds, honestly. I got a little too excited about those first inches, so now that it's slowing to a halt, I'm losing a little of my motivation. My goal is to be comfortable enough in my body to go jogging in one of those adorable bra tops without being self-conscious about my tummy jiggling! Lol

What keeps you going when you become discouraged??

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you and I are of similar build. I'm 45. What keeps me going is seeing how my body is changing. When I sit in shorts I see muscles I never had, lines that show how dedicated I've been.

As far as tightening your waist, you might try some core strength exercises. Mine trimed quite a bit with some planks and stability ball exercises. Pilates is also good. Core bracing is easy to do anywhere.
  • hoyagirl03
    hoyagirl03 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You can totally do this. You definitely got this! I do have one question, though, what are you eating and what other work outs are you doing besides the C25K? Might not need a ton of changes just a couple of tweaks and thn you'll start to see results!
  • MusicalMelanie11
    Options
    What I eat tends to vary a little. My parents are counting calories as well, so usually we all eat the same dinner (tonight it was purple hull peas with cornbread--my mom modified the recipe so it's less fatty than most cornbread). I'm trying to eat a salad every day, sometimes when I don't feel like "eating" breakfast, I'll make a Slim Fast shake, and my dad has bought a boatload of frozen dinners like the Healthy Choice Steamers, so I will usually have one of those for lunch. I know processed food isn't the best thing ever, but we kind of live in the middle of nowhere and don't have ready access to fresh ingredients and such! For a snack I'll typically have a Yoplait light or some almonds.

Unfortunately the C25K is the only work out I'm doing at the moment... I'm a wimp, I'll admit it lol. I'm planning on working in some yoga soon. I'm just now starting to cement my C25K routine, so I didn't want to do too much too soon! Once I just jumped into both at the same time and fell off the bandwagon really fast :/

If you recommend something different, let me know! I don't have a whole lot of equipment (nor is there a gym I can go to), but I do have a kettlebell! Hehehe
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eating more than 1200. If you shoot for .5 lbs loss per week you'll maintain more muscle mass as you lose. I can't imagine trying to eat 1200 with your stats.
  • ireadlabelsdammit
    ireadlabelsdammit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Jogging is great, just keep it up! I'd recommend not measuring/weighing daily, to avoid a daily dose of potential discouragement. Every 3rd day or week if you can. Frozen meals can have a lot of sodium or sugar, just keep an eye on that.
  • MusicalMelanie11
    Options
    Saying you couldn't imagine trying to eat 1200 calories with my stats certainly makes me feel better about it being so darn hard! Lol. I have been wondering if I'm eating enough to keep from losing muscle, so I've tried to eat more protein post-workout. I might have to up my calories though! If I changed it to .5lb/week, it would bump me up to 1380.

I think I will hold off measuring and weighing every day, that's a really good idea! I might even do it only once a week. I did it yesterday, so maybe Sunday can be my designated check in day.
  • chubbiesangels
    chubbiesangels Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My first week was last week. It was pretty easy at first but than I kept forgetting to finish logging my complete meals. Since i started counting calories, i must say it helps me get a better understanding of what im putting in my body. I feel a lot better too. This is my 2nd week. I'm going to try my best to log everything. I can do this.