Help! Save my legs!

Options
I accidentally just ran 18 miles (that's triple my normal distance and I'm not really a regular runner anymore), and I already FEEL IT in my legs. I've never run my legs out like this. What can I do to salvage them? Ice? Ibuprofen? I have seriously messed up my legs before. I once suffered a 3 month period where I could not sprint without drop to the ground pain in my legs, and I still have no idea why.

Replies

• smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    1) Ibuprofen
    2) Don't sit for too long. Keep walking around and stretching.
    3) Use a foam roller on your legs.
    4) Get a really good night sleep
    5) Pray. :laugh:
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    how do you accidently run 18 miles?
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    How the heck do you "accidently" run 18 miles? LMAO
  • nave002
    nave002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly! But, I certainly hope you don't suffer too much :(
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Did u sign up for one of those 5k marathons thinking it was just a 5k?
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Puzzled as to how one 'accidentally' runs 18 miles. I'm assuming you accepted a 'dare' and were not wise enough to see the risk in that. Ok, so your leg muscles are full of lactic acid which causes soreness but continued circulation of your blood and probably a jacuzzi will allow the lactic acid to leave your cramping muscles. whether you have any permanent injury is something you'll discern after the soreness is alleviated. certainly use your pain killer of choice and possibly rest with your legs elevated. Epsom salts and a hot bath tonight and a good night's sleep. my guess is that your lower back is more out of sorts than your legs. if you have fascitis or something that resolves it self as well.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I was doing an out and back run, and I just guessed the distance between the two points. I was wrong... very wrong...

Back is fine though... I've been out backpacking with a heavy pack a lot lately. Also the reason I thought my legs were strong enough for this.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    How the heck do you "accidently" run 18 miles? LMAO

I've heard stories about GPS directions leading to trucks getting wedged under low bridges, narrow lanes and suchlike. Maybe something similar happened here?

Or they got an endorphin rush and forgot to stop.

Either way, rest properly. Cool baths/showering help, as does going swimming in a couple of days. And putting your feet up and massaging towards the heart.

But most of all, give yourself time to repair before running again.
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    Keep moving, stand up and walk around at least once an hour!

Make sure to take some Ibuprofen every 4-6 hours (I would even set the alarm to take a dose in the night so you can move in the morning).

Ice for 20 minutes, then break for 45 min to an hour, then ice for 20 more. Do this the rest of the day.

Hot shower first thing tomorrow morning to loosen things up, then massage your legs gently after the hot shower, then gentle walking (no hills) for at least 20 minutes, followed by more massaging and mellow stretching.

Hope that helps, it has helped me. If you need to cry about it tomorrow, feel free to message me. I promise not to ask how you accidently over do it by that much. :wink:
  • RobynLB83
    Options
    Keep moving, stand up and walk around at least once an hour!

Make sure to take some Ibuprofen every 4-6 hours (I would even set the alarm to take a dose in the night so you can move in the morning).

Ice for 20 minutes, then break for 45 min to an hour, then ice for 20 more. Do this the rest of the day.

Hot shower first thing tomorrow morning to loosen things up, then massage your legs gently after the hot shower, then gentle walking (no hills) for at least 20 minutes, followed by more massaging and mellow stretching.

Hope that helps, it has helped me. If you need to cry about it tomorrow, feel free to message me. I promise not to ask how you accidently over do it by that much. :wink:

Wow. Thanks for the detailed instructions. I'm going to try this.
  • runningwild00
    Options
    This is an interesting accident. Usually, for me at least, it's I accidentally tripped while running and now my knee is bleeding.
    Maybe take an ice bath? I am worried about your knees since this is so much longer than your normal run.
    I definitely agree with the other advice given (ibuprofin, stretch, etc)
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

That's like me saying I just accidently squat 300k. How the fook do you triple your normal run accidently!!?
  • RobynLB83
    Options
    This is an interesting accident. Usually, for me at least, it's I accidentally tripped while running and now my knee is bleeding.
    Maybe take an ice bath? I am worried about your knees since this is so much longer than your normal run.
    I definitely agree with the other advice given (ibuprofin, stretch, etc)

I was on sand, so that probably saved my knees and hips. Gorgeous beach day in San Diego, may have also contributed to accident.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    I'm calling BS on this
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I was doing an out and back run, and I just guessed the distance between the two points. I was wrong... very wrong...

Back is fine though... I've been out backpacking with a heavy pack a lot lately. Also the reason I thought my legs were strong enough for this.

Wait, what???

And you didn't realize it when your turnaround point was three times as far out as it usually is?

This is one of the most bizarre things I've heard so far today...
  • RobynLB83
    Options

Wait, what???

And you didn't realize it when your turnaround point was three times as far out as it usually is?

I had never been between these 2 beaches on foot, and it's hard to tell distance on the beach. It always seems further than it is. I thought my internal distance reader was just off when it seemed long. I'll just say it. I'm kinda ditzy sometimes, okay?
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Its not so much that you ran just three times the distance, but you ran three times the time too. You usually only run for 1 hour and you ended up running for 3 hours.. :laugh: I wish I had that kind of time lol.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Wait, what???

The fact that it's only one of the most bizarre things you've heard, only today, and only so far, says a lot about what happens on MFP forums on a regular basis.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Wait, what???

The fact that it's only one of the most bizarre things you've heard, only today, and only so far, says a lot about what happens on MFP forums on a regular basis.

Further to your point, I suspect if I continue reading the MFP forums for an hour or two today, it will not even be top three.
  • RobynLB83
    Options
    Just went to get ice and found Gatorade bottles frozen with ice in the freezer. Gunna roll my legs out with ice. Nicccceeee!