soda is my weakness

Options
124»

Replies

• samantha0131
    samantha0131 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I didn't even realized I cut out soda for a while, I just drink coffee and tons of water and ice tea if I need a little pick me up. Ultimately it's up too how much you drink and cutting back and trying to find alternatives. I know it's hard, I think I stopped because my kids go crazy with it in the house lol. Sparkling juices maybe...the best thing I can say is get a water bottle and carry it around with you everywhere so you don't get thirsty and you will have mess cravings. Hope that helps and good luck
  • carlknight1983
    carlknight1983 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 HelveticaNeue;}
    {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red85\green85\blue85;\red255\green255\blue255;}
    \deftab720
    \pard\pardeftab720\sl400\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs30 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
    \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Giving up coke and Pepsi where the hardest things to cut out off my diet. I forced myself to only drink water. Haven't had a soda in over 2 months now but the craving for an ice cold Pepsi still gets me. It's all just willpower }
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I know it is soooo bad for you, but there is something about the sweetness and carbonation combination that makes it so hard to cut out. Plus, cutting out the caffeine gives me headaches. How do you keep control and avoid the temptation?

Clearly you are hooked on the stuff. Get un-hooked.

As for caffeine, a good coffee, black, or with 10 calories of creamer only, is low cal and will give you a caffeine hit. Good coffee has less caffeine than cheap coffee. Try to reduce your caffeine dependency too. You'll no doubt be glad you tackled both issues, later down the road.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    if you add whiskey I am in.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    umayster wrote: »
    Any pop regularly in your diet isn't a good thing. It spikes your insulin which almost instantly results in fat storage. And diets no better. Tell me, how do you create a drink that's full of flavour and has zero calories? By filling it with synthetic chemicals, mmmm doesn't that sound delicious. By carbonated water that has light flavouring, and the caffeine headache goes away in acouple days. You have to make the choice to stop filling your body with pure sugar.

*eye roll*

you-must-be-new-here-willy-wonka-ewlzcs.jpg

Jesse speaks on the chemical process that happens when you eat sugar (or any carbs) and your response is an eye roll.

Are we on a nutrition forum or at Jr high?

Thank you, I'm pretty sure the whole point of these threads are to be frIendly and informative. There's a reason why so many people who consume soda daily are overweight and/or suffer from diabetes. Just spread the love yall! Haha
    Yes this thread tries to be informative. That's why we don't ignore it when someone talks complete nonsense.
    ccourcha wrote: »
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    I'm not saying you can't lose weight drinking soda, you could lose it eating mcdonalds everyday. Calories in vs calories out. And if your muscle glycone levels are full (which are typically restored after carb consumption. Reason why so many body builders consume high glycemic carbs post workout with their protein shakes)your bodies next step is to store that extra glycone as fat in order to be used later. Except I'm not preaching weight loss. I'm preaching nutrition along with general health and well being. Just saying if you want to live long healthy lives, why put that into yourself day after day. That's all, no need to bust someone's balls, especially when you're poking holes in the wrong argument. And feel free to bombard me after posting this, I'll just be laughing while enjoying hardly ever being sick and no headaches from all those sugar rushes and cravings.

You know how often I get sick? Maybe twice a year in the dead of winter due to the cold and not getting enough sleep, among other things.

Nor do I have consistent headaches, sugar rushes or cravings.

If you want to use yourself as proof you're right, fine, but I'm proof I'm right, too.

~Lyssa

It's just that soda does things like remove corrosion from batteries, brown teeth, and the like. My journey has helped me clean up. Soda is not something I would put in my body knowing the research.

So does lemon juice and vinegar. I don't see anyone claiming that lemons are the devil and should be avoided because "look, they put it in bathroom cleaner! You wouldn't drink bathroom cleaner!"
  • stevencloser
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    BBeccaJean wrote: »
    I feel your pain...diet coke...definitely a problem for me. But also sweets and night time...I eat for no reason!
    The reason is that you are malnourished and your body screams for food. So when you eat non-nutritive garbage your body always wants more in the hope that some of it might provide nutrition.
    jessicapk wrote: »
    I was a huge fan of Dr. Pepper and Coke for ages and never could stand the taste of diet. I've given it up for the most part but still indulge from time to time. Not only are they high calorie and high sugar drinks, but don't forget that they are TERRIBLE for your teeth. People can sit and argue all they want about diet sodas being fine because they are zero calorie and no sugar, but the acids in sodas are absolutely horrible for your teeth. Sodas stain and eat away at your enamel. It's not JUST about calories, people.

This is why we have dental hygiene.

We eat a lot of acidic foods on a daily basis that are bad for our teeth, which is why we brush and floss our teeth. In moderation, it wouldn't be any worse than eating pickles or oranges or pretty much any fruit/vegetable.

There is a tribe in Africa where people file their teeth to a point for ornamental purposes and yet never see decay or other dental problems. Our teeth are designed to naturally repair themselves when they are attacked by acidic foods or bacteria. Our saliva actually contains the enzymes and elements to repair our teeth if we eat a proper diet. But toothpaste coats the teeth with glycerine to make them feel smooth and slippery. This coat shields the teeth from saliva and enzymes so they cannot repair teeth. So there is a huge dental industry which thrives because you use toothpaste. So, Sugar May Not Be What Is Destroying Your Teeth.

Yeah, no. That is absolute complete and utter nonsense, as always.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I found it's the fizz I like more than the taste, so I'm on the bandwagon with those who suggest seltzer or mineral water - all the bubbles, no caloric price.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    I was a huge fan of Dr. Pepper and Coke for ages and never could stand the taste of diet. I've given it up for the most part but still indulge from time to time. Not only are they high calorie and high sugar drinks, but don't forget that they are TERRIBLE for your teeth. People can sit and argue all they want about diet sodas being fine because they are zero calorie and no sugar, but the acids in sodas are absolutely horrible for your teeth. Sodas stain and eat away at your enamel. It's not JUST about calories, people.

This is why we have dental hygiene.

We eat a lot of acidic foods on a daily basis that are bad for our teeth, which is why we brush and floss our teeth. In moderation, it wouldn't be any worse than eating pickles or oranges or pretty much any fruit/vegetable.

There is a tribe in Africa where people file their teeth to a point for ornamental purposes and yet never see decay or other dental problems. Our teeth are designed to naturally repair themselves when they are attacked by acidic foods or bacteria. Our saliva actually contains the enzymes and elements to repair our teeth if we eat a proper diet. But toothpaste coats the teeth with glycerine to make them feel smooth and slippery. This coat shields the teeth from saliva and enzymes so they cannot repair teeth. So there is a huge dental industry which thrives because you use toothpaste. So, Sugar May Not Be What Is Destroying Your Teeth.

I always wonder about that!

I don't brush my cat's teeth. She has kind of stinky breath, but not that bad. And she never gets a cavity.

I don't know about people in underdeveloped countries in Africa. I went on a missionary trip elsewhere to help some of the poorest people on the planet and their teeth weren't in great shape. I am certain they were not purchasing luxurious things like toothpaste or eating food with added sugar.

Maybe animals got protection we didn't?

I just don't know, but I've thought about that before.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    More along the lines of a valid nutritional plan with the occasional detour.

It is pretty difficult on restricted calories to routinely make micro needs, most of us should not plan on nutritionally empty calories. Multis aren't great for meeting micro needs, if only it were that easy!

The big problem with human nutrition is the very primitive level of knowledge and the problems take years or decades to materialize. I'm guessing that most people here either are, have been or will be overweight or obese, so it is best to aim at the conservative nutritional plan.

giphy.gif
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    BBeccaJean wrote: »
    I feel your pain...diet coke...definitely a problem for me. But also sweets and night time...I eat for no reason!
    The reason is that you are malnourished and your body screams for food. So when you eat non-nutritive garbage your body always wants more in the hope that some of it might provide nutrition.

giphy.gif
  • stevencloser
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I was once checking out micronutrient stuff to see if it's worth it getting a multivitamin and a study I found that was conducted in Poland said that their micronutrient intake was fine, only low on vitamin D and one other thing I can't remember, and that's just for the average person.

Edit: This is it. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25272578 Low on Vitamin D, B1 and folates, fine with everything else they checked just from food intake.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    I was once checking out micronutrient stuff to see if it's worth it getting a multivitamin and a study I found that was conducted in Poland said that their micronutrient intake was fine, only low on vitamin D and one other thing I can't remember, and that's just for the average person.

That's generally what I believe (I don't even take a multi, and I've never been deficient in any vitamins except D in the winter). I think it only matters if you're deficient. And I drink diet root beer!

I never understand why people think we should take in more vitamins than our bodies can use.
  • Stephanie3399
    Stephanie3399 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've always struggled with soda and I still do! I love the carbonated bubbliness of it! However, I realized that most of the time I was reaching for a soda was because I needed energy and I was tired! I started drinking spark energy drink instead because it has caffeine and is full of vitamins! It's not bubblie, but I could add in some soda water to it if thats what I am looking for!