Are humans meant to be monogamous creatures?

half_moon
half_moon Posts: 807 Member
Monogamy. Are humans intended for it? Or is it a choice and sacrifice we make consciously?

Replies

• akiba254
    akiba254 Posts: 209 Member
    I believe that depends on whether you believe in love or if its just simply a chemical reaction. I think its only natural to have attraction to many but the desire to follow through when you already have something you want is not something all have.
  • salstg
    salstg Posts: 504 Member
    Choice and sacrifice.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    I believe in chemical reactions, compatability, and wanting to solidify your future for both you and offspring.

..... Odd, since I've always considered myself a romantic! But I believe monogomy is a choice and sacrifice you make for someone you have chosen to be with for life. If the trade off is worth a permanent friend and partner for you, that could be romantic too!
  • salstg
    If it was in our nature we probably wouldn't see such high divorce rates and such.
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Hey_Its_That_One_Guy Posts: 21,768 Member
    edited June 2015
    salstg wrote: »
    If it was in our nature we probably wouldn't see such high divorce rates and such.

I think this might be more of a shift in values in our generation. People nowadays are told to never be satisfied until you get what you want and are raised watching fairy tale movies and such. Older generations made things work, they fixed what was wrong until they were happy with what they had. At least that's my view on it.
  • salstg
    edited June 2015
    There was divorce and cheating going on back then too. I think the shift in values was just that it became okay with society to be divorced. Seems like in the later times you were considered defective if something like that happened to you. Now that it's more acceptable it's more rampant.
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Good points, maybe it depends on the person. I know personally I like the thought of growing old with somebody.
  • shoppingmaniac86
    shoppingmaniac86 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Good points, maybe it depends on the person. I know personally I like the thought of growing old with somebody.

Me too :)
  • salstg
    So what gets your motor running is imagining the other person getting old? LOL!
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Caught me, old people fetish! But no, just going through life with a best friend seems pretty awesome. I'm of the opinion you get out of relationships what you put into them.
  • salstg
    I hear what you're saying and I don't disagree. I just feel that if monogamy was in our nature we wouldn't get the urge to pro-create with everyone. Going through life with a best friend is awesome but the primal urge never goes away. You can make the choice to fight off the urge but it's there...... that's my only point and I think it's the point of the OP.
  • akiba254
    akiba254 Posts: 209 Member
    edited June 2015
    I think its human nature to struggle with choice.
    Should I eat healthy or pig out on junk.
    Should I exercise or watch TV..
    Should I sleep with that blonde or stay faithful to my wife.
    Should I work hard for a rewarding career or do nothing with my life.
    Should I quit smoking or continue till I die.
    Should I drink till I die of liver failure or show moderation.
    Should I experiment with drugs like my friends or stay clean.
    Just because there is temptation doesn't mean its the way things should be. Having an urge to do something especially something is a part of what makes us human but acting on it is what defines us in my opinion. Peer pressure and attraction aren't excuses for we all chose and we are truly responsible for our own actions.
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Very well said akiba.
  • salstg
    edited June 2015

So you are saying that humans are meant to be monogamous creatures?
    akiba254 wrote: »
    I think its human nature to struggle with choice.
    Should I eat healthy or pig out on junk.
    Should I exercise or watch TV..
    Should I sleep with that blonde or stay faithful to my wife.
    Should I work hard for a rewarding career or do nothing with my life.
    Should I quit smoking or continue till I die.
    Should I drink till I die of liver failure or show moderation.
    Should I experiment with drugs like my friends or stay clean.
    Just because there is temptation doesn't mean its the way things should be. Having an urge to do something especially something is a part of what makes us human but acting on it is what defines us in my opinion. Peer pressure and attraction aren't excuses for we all chose and we are truly responsible for our own actions.

• Dr_Matt
    Dr_Matt Posts: 253 Member
    Although I believe that a person can find "the one", a soulmate if you will... I also believe that some free spirited people can never be emotionally satisfied by a single person.
    Therefore, I don't think you can make an all inclusive statement when it comes to monogamy.
    Right and wrong is subjective and highly influenced by society.
    All I can say is, I judge no one. Do what makes you happy, be a good person and always take the feelings of others into consideration when involving yourself in a relationship.
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Humans are very fickle. When we are not being stimulated in a relationship, we go find someone else. This just doesn't apply to romantic relationships. Thats why its so hard to find loyalty now-a-days. On my part, it's not a sacrifice. I would love to spend every single day with the one person I'm in love with.
  • salstg
    sw33tp3a11 wrote: »
    Humans are very fickle. When we are not being stimulated in a relationship, we go find someone else. This just doesn't apply to romantic relationships. Thats why its so hard to find loyalty now-a-days. On my part, it's not a sacrifice. I would love to spend every single day with the one person I'm in love with.

That's a good point. Maybe sacrifice is a harsh word. I took it as "something given up for a greater cause".

• salstg
    edited June 2015
    Btw... google says we are monogamists... LOL!

Serial monogamists to be exact.
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member

If Google says so it must be true! :wink:
  • salstg
    sw33tp3a11 wrote: »

If Google says so it must be true! :wink:

haha... just some more interesting reading.....

On the basis of a comprehensive study, David Barash and Judith Lipton (link is external) conclude that there is no evidence that monogamy is somehow "natural" or "normal" for humans; on the contrary, there is abundant evidence that people have long been prone to having multiple sexual partners. However, they also reject the claim that monogamy is unnatural or abnormal, especially since it is the way most people have been living in recent times. Human beings are enormously flexible creatures and exhibit adaptability in dealing with the issue of monogamy and romantic exclusivity. Accordingly, they argue that "what makes human beings unusual among other mammals is not our penchant for polygamy, but the fact that most people practice at least some form of monogamy."