Are humans meant to be monogamous creatures?

Options
2»

Replies

• nomad5326
    nomad5326 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Dr_Matt wrote: »
    Although I believe that a person can find "the one", a soulmate if you will... I also believe that some free spirited people can never be emotionally satisfied by a single person.
    Therefore, I don't think you can make an all inclusive statement when it comes to monogamy.
    Right and wrong is subjective and highly influenced by society.
    All I can say is, I judge no one. Do what makes you happy, be a good person and always take the feelings of others into consideration when involving yourself in a relationship.

Completely agree.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    half_moon wrote: »
    Monogamy. Are humans intended for it?

Yes or no. It is a choice.

• LouLouStBijou
    LouLouStBijou Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, based on my own feelings and experience - no, we are not intended to be monogamous. I think there is a difference between sexual partners though and the family unit that is best suited for raising children and having security and companionship and someone with whom to grow old. I broached this subject on this forum a while back and got some interesting responses for sure. In the end though, I don't judge and hope not to be judged/
  • CarrC83
    CarrC83 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    People are advanced animals, that being said I don't think monogamy is for every person. It's a choice one makes. Most people are not lucky enough to find that one true love. I was very fortunate in the fact that I found my soul mate so to speak. I could never love someone as deeply as I do my wife. The problem With today's society is that everything is just click away and we expect all things to be easy.and.have therefore lost that will to hunt for what we want. The fight has been taken out of this generation.
  • bloodyhonest
    bloodyhonest Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If I find a wife that can pay my bills, she will be my cash for life.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Good points, maybe it depends on the person. I know personally I like the thought of growing old with somebody.

You can still grow old with the one you love without being in a monogamous relationship.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    No! Polyamory for everyone!
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's a choice. "Meant to be monogamous" implies some sort of biological compulsion or imperative, which is clearly not the case considering how many relationships end because of infidelity, not to mention the existence of polygamous relationships in various cultures and religions throughout history.

Monogamy is a choice. Some people simply just aren't suited for it. Which I see nothing wrong with, as long as they're upfront about their needs/tendencies/expectations/etc with their partners from the start.

I personally fall under the monogamous category, though. I think polygamous relationships are interesting, but definitely not for me. Frankly, relationships are complicated enough even when there're just two people involved. :expressionless: