15 lbs in 3 weeks? Possible?

Options
13»

Replies

• demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Unless everyone there is posting on their clothing how much weight they've lost coming up to this reunion, NO ONE is really going to care.
    They ALL say the same things:

"I haven't seen you in forever!"
    "You look great!"
    "You haven't aged a bit!"

Yada, yada.

They'll NEVER say:

"Dang you gained a lot of weight!"
    "What happened to you?"
    "You used to be hot."

Go to enjoy everyone. If you're in shape, they you are. If you're not, you're not.

Ninerbuff is accurate in my experience.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Theoretically it IS possible, but you would have to virtually starve yourself, and you would be constantly ravenous, thinking of food 24/7, probably tired, cranky, distracted and not good for much. Your work will suffer. Your workouts will suffer. YOU will suffer. You would have to have almost superhuman willpower to do this, IMO. I couldn't do it.

I doubt it's even theoretically possible.

5 lbs per week would be a 17,500 calorie deficit per week; or a 2500/day calorie deficit. At her size, her sedentary TDEE is around 1800. So she would have to consume ZERO calories for the next three weeks, AND exercise enough to burn off another 700 calories/day.

Even if you're generous and give her 6 lbs of water weight loss, to lose the remaining 9 it would need to be a 1500 calorie per day deficit.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Agree with almost all the advice above.

1. Use MFP the way it was designed to set a reasonable calorie deficit.
    2. Meet that calorie deficit and incorporate some circuit training if you like.
    3. Go shopping, get a great outfit and some Spanx, and get your hair and nails done the week of the reunion.
    4. Don't get sloppy drunk and hook up with anyone from high school - that never ends well, plus you don't want to be too embarrassed to go to subsequent reunions.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    That's why I thought perhaps sensible eating plus a light exercise program might be a good idea.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are following me here. I didn't say she wasn't consuming too many calories. I was saying that we don't know what her circumstances have been so it is not helpful to criticize her now for waiting until this point to prepare for the reunion.

The point is that she likely knew well before this point in time about the reunion. She's 17 pounds from a healthy weight for her height, and wants to lose 15 of that in THREE weeks. If she was so desperate to lose the weight she should have started sooner in order to accomplish her goal in a healthy manner. Not attempting to lose 5 pounds per week.

It gets a little tiring seeing people stroll in with an excessive goal in a short period because they have a dress to fit into, a swimsuit to wear, or a party/reunion to attend. I'm in the home stretch of 12 pounds to go and it's a SLOW process. Would I like to be there in 3 weeks? Yeah. Is it reasonable? Nope.
  • lalainap19
    lalainap19 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yayy I'm going to add you we are almost exactly the same I'm 5,5 163 and 23 years old we can take this journey together I'll add u
  • BennyCH
    BennyCH Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    15 lbs of fat or 15 lbs weight? 15 lbs fat = 7 kg => 1 kg fat = 7000 kcal => 7 kg fat = 49'000 kcal in 3 weeks => 21 days => 2300 kcal deficit per day...so lets say you eat 1300 kcal/day => TDEE 3600 kcal, that's a lot of additional exercise which is probably not a good idea on a low calorie diet...
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »
    Theoretically it IS possible, but you would have to virtually starve yourself, and you would be constantly ravenous, thinking of food 24/7, probably tired, cranky, distracted and not good for much. Your work will suffer. Your workouts will suffer. YOU will suffer. You would have to have almost superhuman willpower to do this, IMO. I couldn't do it.

I doubt it's even theoretically possible.

5 lbs per week would be a 17,500 calorie deficit per week; or a 2500/day calorie deficit. At her size, her sedentary TDEE is around 1800. So she would have to consume ZERO calories for the next three weeks, AND exercise enough to burn off another 700 calories/day.

Even if you're generous and give her 6 lbs of water weight loss, to lose the remaining 9 it would need to be a 1500 calorie per day deficit.

I *luvs* it when math and science co-mingles. <3

To the OP: It's a bad idea. You'd probably faint after two days of trying.

Whether you knew earlier or not about this reunion is moot. There isn't enough time between now and then for you to accomplish this completely unrealistic goal.