What Is Happening With My Body?

Options
demoiselle2014
demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
edited June 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I am 35, just under 5'4", and weigh about 116 lbs. My goal weight range is between 112 and 118, so I am not trying to diet or lose weight. I have, however, significantly increased my physical activity over the past few months. I didn't know what to measure, since I wasn't working with a formal plan, but I did have my starting weight (116), waist, and hip measurements (27", 37").

I've been running three days per week for two months via C25K, and on non-running days I usually go for a long walk. I'm averaging 17k steps per day. I've also been doing yoga and pilates via blogilates' beginner calendar (to improve balance, strength, flexibility).

I'm puzzled a bit, because in this time my weight and measurements have basically held steady. Today, I am 116 with a 27" waist and a 38" hip measurement. But I *look* different, I'm almost certain. I certainly have had noticeable practical gains in terms of endurance and core strength.

If my weight and measurements haven't changed, is it possible to look more fit? Or does that imply that my husband and I are imagining we see a difference (the difference in my *performance* is unquestionable). I suppose it was a mistake not to take measurements of my calves and thighs, what with the running . . . Is this what recomposition is like?

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Yep. That's exactly what recomposition is like. I have tons of pictures of myself over the last 20 years at 150-155#. In some I look great. In some I look fat. In some I have a 28" waist. In some I have a 30" waist. In some I have bat flaps. In some, you can see the striations in my shoulder muscles. There are a couple of memes on the internets showing the difference you can create in your figure all while maintaining the same weight, but improving your body composition. Congratulations!
  • demoiselle2014
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thank you. It's interesting to experience, and even though I haven't been exercising with a goal to lose weight or inches, it's been a bit confusing to experience the change visually/practically but not be able to measure a difference via scale or tape. I think that I may take some measurements of my thighs and calves since I'm running, just to have more to track. And perhaps biceps? I'm researching what kind of resistance/strength type training I can do, and once I start that I assume the changes will be a bit more obvious, though still slow.
  • LilyMammoth
    LilyMammoth Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You replaced fat with muscle, so you probably look firmer.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    Options
    Calipers might be a good tool to add to your "body assessment arsenal." My waist size has gone up over time, but I actually LOOK better than I did before, because heavy lifting has improved my musculature and definition. You can use calipers to check fat loss where a tape measure wouldn't really show much difference... If you have the nerdy urges I have... ;-)
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    I'll consider calipers. I only bought a scale to measure my weight for the first time two months ago. The tape measure is on hand because I like to sew.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    Options
    HAHAHAHAHA. I buy 6 tapes a year for sewing, and they all vanish within a month... I think there's some kind of wormhole in my sewing area... The calipers aren't necessary if you're happy with the data you get from seeing yourself in the mirror. :)
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    Yeah, I am surprised that this tape has lasted at least six months. I don't know where all the others have gone!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    This is what I'm experiencing too! stats and weight staying the same but I can see I'm looking trimmer in general and friends telling me I'm looking thin! (Which at 133lbs I'm not). ..I'm not new to exercise though so I think my body is just adjusting it's shape, fine tuning perhaps? :smile: Its all good anyway :smiley:
    (I've been maintaining for a year and my stats are 27" waist /35.5" hip)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Weight is easy - I've lost many inches and stayed the same weight. Sometimes the change is in how solid you look and also not on the 'measure' spots. So my hip measure is the same on the wides spot, but the curves look different. They're solid not soft because they're muscle. My thighs and arms look much better, but who measures that?

Go with it. You're doing great.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Vaguely related: if you're a couple of months into C25K you might be pretty close to the end of the program. How's it been working for you?

I hate running. I don't remember the last time I ran without a coach yelling in a bullhorn that if I didn't speed up and run an 8-minute mile he'd never let me pitch again.

That said, I'm about to finish my second week of C25K. (C210K, really, but no promises on the 10 bit.) Surprisingly, it hasn't killed me and I'm having to convince myself not to speed up the program. 3.1 miles, let alone 6.2 seems like a long way off right now.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    I graduated on Tuesday, and it has turned me into someone who likes to run (slowly). I did it in 9 weeks, because I repeated week 5. I was on vacation in Cancun for the first long run, and with the heat I couldn't quite make it.

Seriously, I am proud of myself.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I graduated on Tuesday, and it has turned me into someone who likes to run (slowly). I did it in 9 weeks, because I repeated week 5. I was on vacation in Cancun for the first long run, and with the heat I couldn't quite make it.

Seriously, I am proud of myself.
    Very cool. Thanks for the info. Congrats.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

sorry, but it does not work that way …

you add new muscle, yes, but you don't replace fat with muscle..

and I doubt OP is doing that with a three day a week cardio routine….
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    You might want to get an auto-tightening tape measure. That way you can be more consistent. You can also take progress photos in the same attire and see what changes.
  • seiffertrk
    seiffertrk Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

That's a pretty fine hair to split in this context. I'm sure the comment was not meant to imply that the fat magically turned into muscle.

The OP said she also added yoga and pilates. Even without that it is not unreasonable to expect that she probably built a little muscle in her legs in response to the running. If she now weighs the same but has more muscle, is that not a recomp?

More to the point, who was this post supposed to help? It just added confusion and negativity to a thread that was very positive.

@demoiselle2014 Seriously, you should be proud of yourself. I've had a couple of these "unexpected victories" along the way too. They are awesome and motivating. Keep going!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    seiffertrk wrote: »

That's a pretty fine hair to split in this context. I'm sure the comment was not meant to imply that the fat magically turned into muscle.

The OP said she also added yoga and pilates. Even without that it is not unreasonable to expect that she probably built a little muscle in her legs in response to the running. If she now weighs the same but has more muscle, is that not a recomp?

More to the point, who was this post supposed to help? It just added confusion and negativity to a thread that was very positive.

@demoiselle2014 Seriously, you should be proud of yourself. I've had a couple of these "unexpected victories" along the way too. They are awesome and motivating. Keep going!

so adding science to the discussion is negative? I am sorry but disagreement does not equal negativity.

I am just letting OP now that she is not replacing fat with muscle.

I have seen no literature on yoga and pilates leading to newibie gains. But if you have some please feel free to share it with me.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options

I weigh 116 lbs at almost 5'4". I am not interested in losing any significant weight.

• demoiselle2014
    Options

@seiffertrk, thank you for the kind comment. I feel good about what I am doing and where I am now. I wouldn't be surprised if I had some slight newbie gains in muscle. I haven't run before, though I've done a lot of dancing. Although I haven't been tracking my diet because I haven't had any particular plan to lose weight or gain muscle, I have added protein supplements to my diet and some additional calories (most likely).
  • demoiselle2014
    edited June 2015
    Options

so adding science to the discussion is negative? I am sorry but disagreement does not equal negativity.

I am just letting OP now that she is not replacing fat with muscle.

I have seen no literature on yoga and pilates leading to newibie gains. But if you have some please feel free to share it with me.

I am not sure I understand what misapprehension you are trying to correct. Are you afraid I think that fat magically transforms into muscle from exercise? I do appreciate any help you'd like to offer. I'm here to learn, after all.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options

The pilates is a lot of high repetition, low weight or bodyweight exercise. I doubt it would be enough to build any significant muscle, though I can certainly feel an increase in *strength* in my core from the exercise, which I definitely need. The yoga is for stretching and flexibility--I'm doing hatha style, very easy, alongside my husband who has not had classes before, and doesn't want to do anything too vigorous until he is very comfortable with as many different poses as possible. I can't imagine it's building muscle at all. Perhaps if I were doing a more vigorous form...