I'm about to say eff it all and eat ALL the ice cream!

Options
13»

Replies

• BoogeyBrat
    BoogeyBrat Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Alcohol dehydrates you. That's what I bet it is; you're getting the fluid back on board.

I'll second this. If I even look at alcohol, I'll gain a pound or two that will follow me around the next couple days. Of course one Coors Light doesn't have that many calories, it just causes me to retain water. Drink a bunch of water, and see if flushing the pipes doesn't do something for you.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I'm so frustrated!!

I have lost about 25 lbs, but recently, I'm not only NOT losing, but I'm actively GAINING.

I'm a teacher and since it is summer, I have been working out daily. I have a HRM, so I know exactly how many calories I am burning with my workouts. I have been watching what I eat, both quality and quantity.

My husband and I are going on a cruise in about a week, so I gave up alcohol completely to help flatten my tummy. That's when I started gaining!

I don't know what to do, and I'm so frustrated that yesterday I made myself a delicious bowl of butter crunch ice cream topped with butterscotch and chopped almonds. I need help, otherwise I'm going to give up.

Have you been logging and eating back your exercise calories? The drinking change could be part of it or even water/glycogen from increased activity.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Someone replied to this in my news feed it seems so appropriate here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1019220-if-you-over-eat-and-freak-print-this-and-post-it-up
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Are you using the HRM to determine calories burned on resistance training too? Cause if you are, it's going to OVERESTIMATE how many calories you burn by quite a bit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Teeysha
    Teeysha Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been in those same shoes recently. The scale was going up instead of down. It is sooo discouraging when we aren't making progress anymore to torture ourselves by not eating the things we love. Thinking you could have hit a plateau. For me it also happened when I took an extra step to cut back what I was eating. I have changed my routine, added a bit of extra exercise this week and upped my calories a little and the weight has been coming off again.
    Don't give up, if you work at it things will change. Just think, that whole carton of ice cream is going directly to your butt!! A little treat every now and then is good for us though.
  • heartworth9
    heartworth9 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I agree with the deprivation part. I have made wine and dark chocolate a part of my diet, when I lose 10 pounds, maybe even 8, I will enjoy a pint of ice cream. I know with the added metabolism with all of the exercise, I will be ok. We need rewards to keep mentally fit too.
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • bonnieyode
    bonnieyode Posts: 21
    Options
    Today I had plenty of ice cream, but I have managed to stay away from it. Is okay because tomorrow will be a new day. :happy:
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Are you using the HRM to determine calories burned on resistance training too? Cause if you are, it's going to OVERESTIMATE how many calories you burn by quite a bit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

What do you mean by this? jI am using the HRM when I do ANY exercise, but doesn't it measure my exertion? I have found that when I do strength training at a slow rate, it indicates that I burn very few calories, but when I am doing strength training where I don't rest between sets, etc, it burns more. Either way, my burn isn't as much as when I do tabata or run.
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everybody! The past two days were bad, but y'all talked me down from the ledge. I think I am just rehydrating, and I did drink last night, and lo and behold....the number on the scale went down! Now that I understand why, I feel better. I think I tend to stay dehydrated, ESPECIALLY in the summer/weekends. When I'm at work, I'm really good about drinking water since I am talking all the time and get thirsty easily.

I'm back on the wagon as of right now. Lots more water, no more booze, healthy treats.
  • ashleyplus3
    ashleyplus3 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Bump for when I feel like eating ALL the ice cream! :wink:
  • naomibatts
    Options
    Yesterday I ate all the ice cream but today is a new day! Don't give up, everyone's weight changes for different reasons. I noticed when I gave up alcohol that I gained weight, but now it's regulated and I've started to loss again. Keep drinking loads of water everyday :)

Congrats on the weight loss!