Ate way over my limit..Is it all over?

Options
yeah so my caloric limit for the day is about 1900 (trying to lose weight) and I ate about 2500. I feel disgusting, does anybody know if that is such a horrible thing? It isn't my cheat day btw...

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Just move on. It will not completely derail your progress, it will just slow it down a tad, since your weekly deficit won't be quite as large.

Try not to sweat it.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    It might slow you down for this week, but the only way it is a failure is if you give up and allow it to be. Log as best you can for today, and start again tomorrow. Don't make the rest of the evening a free-for-all though. :smile:
  • babylovers
    babylovers Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Its not over untill you quit altogether. Without bad days you wouldn't have good days. Losing weight doesn't mean you will be faithful to your change every time I just means that you will keep focusing on your new life 90% of the time. When we "mess up" were not really messing up were just being human and learning. Keep focused tomorrow and promise to do better than today.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    3500 calories over your body's requirements causes a pound to be gained. I assume your maintenance calories is roughly 2500, so I doubt you gained anything at all. Even if you did, I bet you didn't gain all the weight you're trying to lose in just a day. One day will not erase a record of hard work.
  • zzaped
    zzaped Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Instead of focusing on your daily target, remember that you can focus on a weekly target instead - So if you have over eaten 600 cals today, why not stick to 1800 cals for the next 6 days? Then it all evens out and doesnt matter at all.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Log, move on, start again tomorrow.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    How is that "way over"? If you have a one pound per week loss goal, you were around 100 calories over maintenance. If you have a larger loss goal, you were still at a deficit.
  • TakingBackForever
    TakingBackForever Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    One healthy meal doesn't make you healthy, just like one big meal doesn't make you big. Just jump right back into it! :)
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It's only over if you want it to be. Just get back on the wagon tomorrow.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Honey, my calorie goal is 1500. Last night we all spontaneously went out for Mexican food. I estimate my total for the day to be 2400-2500. I had chips and queso and a margarita. It was yummy and I regret nothing. Life happens.

I pushed it a bit harder than usual on my bike ride today and will be a bit more careful to stay within my goal, and maybe 100 or so under for a few days. At worst, I've slowed my weight loss down a bit.

The key is not to let it totally derail you. Log it and move on.
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Oh man did I freak out last week about something similar. I went way overboard in my reaction. The awesome thing is that after my freak out I got up the next morning and resumed my normal routine of move more/eat less. No harm, no foul.

"This" is life. There's no real end. We are all going to have days that we eat more and days that we eat less. That's life.

What determines if this is "all over" is your behavior tomorrow. Hop back in your program and nothing is lost at all!
  • Caitoriri
    Caitoriri Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we have slip-ups on the road to success. But when you first put on the weight, you didn't gain it all in a day, right? This time will be the same.
    Depending on what you eat, you might gain several pounds in water-weight, but that's all. And that'll fall off again in about a week, give or take a little.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If it was over every time one of us had an off day, we'd all be screwed. Log it, move on, and do better tomorrow. And you likely can't won't live every day of the rest of your life within strict calorie budgets, so one day in the scheme of things won't hurt you. It's when every day is like that that hurts you.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Nope. It's no biggie. I wouldn't even compensate through the week. Just go about your normal day with your normal activity and workouts. You're not even 1000 over. If you hit your goals the rest of the week, you'll probably still be on track to lose weight.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Skip your cheat day. Or don't.

Just keep chugging along.
  • Kathy379
    Kathy379 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Try again tomorrow. Each day is a fresh new start
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on

And tbh I'd advise not having a 'cheat' day at all because that psychology is a road to ruin .. you're basically telling yourself and reinforcing that you are restricting so much you have to cheat

instead just consider your calorie defecit across the week .. the app has fairly good reports for this that you can set to report on the last rolling 7 days

you eat more some days you eat less others but you always hit your calorie defecit across those 7 days

there are no cheats

there is just a way of life

and your psyche changes to realise that this is life .. this is manageable.. you can do this and don't need to 'fall off the wagon' or 'cheat' or castigate yourself for having a few hundred extra calories

• megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    No!! It's a mind game! I went off the food and booze scales for a week's holiday but rather than beat myself up over it I've got back on it. It's slowed my loss but long term it's a blip. I want to stick with it and not admit defeat so I can look hot in August! Or September or forever more!

I've "fallen off the wagon" and "given up" in the past. In uni I started Weightwatchers in the October and dropped out after 4 missed sessions over December because 4 Thursdays in a row weren't convenient (21st birthday, anti student fees March, Christmas, new year) and just felt so embarrassed I didn't go back.

The joy of MFP is that no middle aged woman in a church hall is going to make you feel like an idiot. Just hop straight back on and keep on keeping on. It's a lifestyle thing for the long term not a short term crash diet. You'll be fine.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yeah so my caloric limit for the day is about 1900 (trying to lose weight) and I ate about 2500. I feel disgusting, does anybody know if that is such a horrible thing? It isn't my cheat day btw...

if you had a flat tyre on your car, would you slash the other 3 as well?
  • NickDoesFitness
    NickDoesFitness Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    what i do, especially if i splurge, is increase my deficit by 100 cals more until I'be broken even, then carry on. don't worry about it.